Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedJunkie440

SpeedJunkie440

Hello All Don't Mean to really throw all you guys off topic but I was wondering what the interior designs for these vans are. Just the basics besides shag carpet. I dont own a 60's or 70's van but more along the line of a 1995 Dodge Ram Van. :p This is my second van that I own and just wanted to try the 60's and 70's style on a newer van.:eek: Also what were the paint jobs like and how expencive would it be today to get one done. I'm only a fabricator out of New Jersey and not much of a body man. Some help from you guys would be great.:D

3. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

This van is from Erie Pa, and it is bitchen!! Jeff Tregler built the motor for it (see sticker on scoop). Jeff is a throw back and his dad is big time flat head guy and avid collector of flathead speed parts.
    If any of you are close to this part of the country and want to get in contact with Jeff about any machine work, PM me. He truly is a good guy and easy to deal with.

Vintagedrags

4. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

You also need a Viking fighting a Polar Bear, a scene from Custard's Last Stand (but you have to substitue John Wayne for Custard) and then maybe do some sort of amazon seen with some amazon warrior chick riding a tiger or some shit like that...And then you need a space alien bitch too...with 3 tits...

And then the interior has to contain, shag carpet, crushed velvet, and lot's of wood, and paneling...Maybe a small chandelier, a mini fridge, at least 2 bubble sun rooves..And then you need a hooka set up between the driver and passengers seats.. And then spill a baggy of weed in the shag carpet... Top it off with a set of 15x15 Tru Spokes and your good to go..

5. mcisneros

mcisneros

i used a 74 chevy van for spare sheetmetal and a spankin new engine for my 52 chevy. the only reason i want them to make a comeback is so i could stripe em!

6. 21tat

21tat

Love that chia van! My first car was a 69 chevy van. Good times. Mom called it my motel on wheels. She even changed the sheets for me once a week. Awesome.

7. You specifically like to pinstripe vans?

8. rev106

rev106

Perhaps they are big canvases so he could do a lot.

9. Rman91Bird

Rman91Bird
    from MN

I absolutly love old-skool vans. I saw 2 today goin down the freeway and one yesterday sittin in someone's driveway. So, yeah, I'd say they're makin a comeback.

10. The guy down the street has a mid 60's green dodge with 5 spoke cragars, and it gets noticed with thumbs up. Groovy shaggin waggons are making a splash again. Still some scream of too much experimentation with drugs or groovy hippies trying to get some action back in the day. The 70s and 80s vans are altogether abominations.

11. rev106

rev106

Perhaps they are:

[​IMG]

12. renrob5000

renrob5000

Here's mine...[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. rev106

rev106

Sweet, I've been seeing more and more of these on the roads latley or I'm just more keen on them? Pretty cool.

14. Death Trap13

Death Trap13

I just made a little blog about the van comeback. As a kid growing up van culture was really strong then it all kinda went away. I remember a guy had a really nice silver/red chevy van well into the 90's in my area. I always thought he was cool for keeping it going.

http://eurotechmotorsports666.blogspot.com/

15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Man, this brings back memories! My Dad had a '62 Econoline when I got my license. It had a 170 ci six in it, and he found an ultra-rare Daghensham 4 speed for it, yeah, that's right, a "4-on-the-tree". It had carpet, paneling, curtains on the door windows and baby moons, I thought it was great. All my buddies loved it since it seated many of my peeps. No seat belts, extremely poor handling, drum brakes and a 16 year old at the wheel, what could go wrong? The engine cover (doghouse) was actually designed from the factory to also be a seat, which it was used for often. The heater sucked, but at least the guy riding the engine cover kept his ass warm. I actually spun the thing around showing off once and got my first street-racing ticket in it. You weren't shit in '76 unless you had a van...

16. chopdtop

chopdtop

That would be a cool van to have!

Attached Files:

17. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Heres my VW, I wanna get personalized plates...NOHIPPE

Attached Files:

18. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

60's drag

Attached Files:

19. 6T4 Bird

6T4 Bird
    from Dallas Tx

That is awesome!

20. Here`s mine :

Attached Files:

21. Shaggin Wagon

Shaggin Wagon
    from Dallas, TX

Heres my "New" one. Lower it and supremes and we have a winner!

Attached Files:

22. Here's a couple pics of Matt Seret's (seret on the HAMB) shop van:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. rev106

rev106

looking good!

24. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Coincidentally, i've recently caught "van fever"---30 yrs late...

My main concern is engine accessability and i will only buy gm and i'm thinkng that the 64-70's have better engine accessability than the 71-96's even though i would prefer a 71-96 and they handle better etc.

a) How is parts interchangability on the 64-70 flatnoses compared to the 2nd gen 71-96's?

25. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Yes, and 70's as well...

Beer tab curtains and all.....

Attached Files:

26. swi66

swi66

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

My 63 Corvair Greenbrier van.

27. rev106

rev106

I'd say they are two totally different animals.

28. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What i meant was generally parts interchangeability with other gm vehicles.

Example alot of the tri-5 stuff bolts up to stuff in the 90's. Wheels etc. from a 55 chevy can bolt up to, say, a 78 malibu with no problems.

i guess what i'm trying to get at is/are parts easy to get for the flatnoses? And are these easy to work on---just looking at the steering column turns me off because i'm not familiar with it vs. the steering column on a 2nd gen 71-96 looks very familiar.

i know that the 71-96's shared alot of front suspension parts with 60-93 pickups.

What really turns me on about the flatnoses is that the engine is right there in your face. Easy to work on/diagnoise. Other than that, i wouldn't consider them.

i guess to further explain, let's say i need a steering box for either of these vans. With the 2nd gens, i can just go to any parts store or gm dealer and bingo i got the part. Easy. With the first gens, i'm not so sure. i guess that's what i'm trying to get at.

29. That seems legit. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.