Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 60s Funny Cars..Corvairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Nov 26, 2008.

1. BobG

BobG

Yea the body was bought by Don Francis in Wisconsin, I'm not sure what he's done with it.

2. Good to see that Al Brown's name still comes up. He was THE guy at Island forever. He spent more time making sure the events ran well than he did trying to race his own cars. He has the all time record for consecutive entries at the US Nationals from the first one at Great Bend, Kansas, until he passed away a few years ago. An dedicated & amazing drag racer.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  3. hemifarris

hemifarris

Another shot of Peter Seaton's car, "Seaton's Shaker", that my buddy took here in Michigan when the car was new............
    Mike

Attached Files:

4. Krylon King

Krylon King

I've always liked Corvairs. The Funny Car Corvairs were always fun to watch.

5. Autoxer62

Autoxer62

I've been into Corvairs for, well a long time. I have a fairly extensive website that's focused mostly on autocross mods:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/

It would be great to add a gallery of Corvair based funny cars (early, late, or trucks). If any of you have photos you'd be willing to let me use, please drop them to me at [email protected]

Thanks!

--Bryan

6. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i own a early corvair. (did i just say that out loud?!) naaaaa i do like it!
    anyway it runs a 215 aluminum olds motor hilborn injected with lots of nice speed parts on it & the engine runs backwards.
    its primered now thats how i got it but was either yellow or orange with a monkey painted on the sides in the 60s or early 70s?
    i ended up with it somehow for free from a friend of mine. he was tired of storing it. he gave it to me so i went & picked it up & it is really nice so i went over & forced money on him.
    someone had stolen the pressurized moon tank before i got it & ebayed it when ebay first started. he gave the tank away.

a mechanical genius built the car & i know of him so i asked a coworker of his to ask him if he wants it back.
    he said HELLLLL NOOOOO im done with that kinda stuff. he was getting it ready for the winter nationals (i dont know what year) he was playing around in the parking lot doing BIG holeshots & exploded the rear.

the friend of mine i got it from spent $$$$ hundreds on getting new rear gears made & he drove it to work & late night drag races & stuff. he said that car was a pain in the ass. he was always playing with the pills in the injectors & messin around trying to get it to run good on the street. (he like complicated things.) he did super nice body work but it became an abandon project. he said that car was the end of his drag cars. he went & bought a new motorcycle (i dont remember what kind?) under warranty & said there wasnt a street car around that could touch him & it always ran good with NO work! --- i need to get a picture of it with the monkey on it.

7. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

The Corvair F/C that came to Australia was run in the US by Larry Moore as an injected nitro BB/FC, I think it ran around Southern California it was 426 hemi powered with a clutchflight autotrans. The chassis was wide with the headers inside the rails, it had a coil over rear end and I think a 4 bar set up with Halibrand wheels on all corners. I was told it had been built for Ed the ace McCulloch but dont know if this is correct. If any one is familar with the LA Challenger that was at the 2007 Calif. Hot Rod Reunion the chassis is almost the same as that car has. When last sighted the chassis was under a '23 T altered and the owner still had the Corvair body which was half steel, it was owned by Phil Woodman from Newcastle and ran a Big Block chev in A/MA class. I do have a photo of it somewhere I will try to locate it.

8. Anderson

Anderson

Am I the only one who looks at the altered wheelbase Corvair bodies and sees late '50's/early '60's Ferarris?

9. 35chief

35chief

Hi BobG, I pm,ed you. This is Chris Pedersen and I used to drive the Corvair for Al Daum as well as his front and rear engined cars. I have not seen you or him in many years. I think you were with Safety Safari last time I saw you. I will dig out my old pics of the Corvair as well as classics from the late 70s and 80s. Great Stuff!!!

10. too cool. I'm glad I can remember some of those times.
    I always wanted to do the V-8 in the back seat swap on a 'Vair.
    Was it Crown that made that swap kit?

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I see Ron Runyan in a Corvair on this thread. Wasn't his Corvette the first Chevy Funnycar? Blue Hell, I think it was called.

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

No, I do too.

I always thought the '65 Corvair was one of the most clean and tasteful shapes of the mid-60's and their styling was definitely influenced by Italian design of that period. Weird, because no other Chevy was.

13. MyOld51

MyOld51

That car was later sold to Rick and Peggy Pierce of Aurora Colorado. Peggy named it "Pegasus". I polished the rims and headers on that one many times...

They also had a '57 Corvette named "Rasputin".

Brian

14. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

In the 60's my brother took me to Windsor Dragway to see an exhibition run between Seaton's Shaker and Color me Gone. I've never been the same since that day.
    It was also the first time I was in a car doing 100mph. My brother was driving.........

15. Muttley

Muttley

16. if anybody sees one of those V8 Crown kits i got a extra early model.... =)

17. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Those were the Good Ole Days !
    As for Nader , he was a asshole with a thing for the Corvair ! I had 2 of them and really liked them . Had a 1966 and 1963 . My buddy and I was going to take a built 283 with a power glide and stuff it in the 63 Corvair to drive on the street back in 1971 . Never got around to do it so the set up went into 65 Chevelle . Sold the Corvairs but still see them sometimes for sale and think about buying another one . They were really great little cars ! I have the " Corvair Ranch" about 30 mins from me . That place has a boat load of Corvairs and any part you need !

19. v8 garage

v8 garage

The Corvairs were good little cars and ahead of their time. Ralph Nader was an asshole then and he is an asshole now. Certainly no friend the the hot rodder.
    V/8

20. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

HEY - I see doors & handles & B pillers...!

Was ( Dougs ) car a real Steel Vair body...???

No shit.

21. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

I have always liked the Corvair Funny and drive Corvairs.
    Bill

Attached Files:

22. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

I have a spare body, have plans to do a street version.
    Bill

Attached Files:

23. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

more

Attached Files:

24. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

end 4 now

Attached Files:

25. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's another

Attached Files:

26. misterharley

misterharley

I remember him well He had a shop on about 70th and maple . I raced with him and several others in Omaha. we traveled to regional meets in the midwest I learned to wrench on cars from him starting at about 14years old and continued to be friends till he moved to Washington state when I lost touch with him

27. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Found this recently, wasn't a Funny but still a neat looking car.
    I think they made great looking Funny Cars.
    Anyone know any history on this one?

Attached Files:

28. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Saw "Seaton's Shaker" built in '64. Rode with Pete and crew to Super Stock Nationals in 1965. Very neat guy, Pete.

29. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

30. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

thinking this may be the same car later in Lexington.

Attached Files: