Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 60's Era Hood Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awsomeears, Mar 27, 2013.

1. awsomeears

awsomeears

So I'm getting my fiberglass hood on my 63' Nova cut out a bit more ( won't clear my stacks and future hood scoop ) and I was thinking I want the provision to remove my hood completely as well us my tilt front end.

Does anyone make a 60's Style Hood pins available that are Quality, Stainless would be Perfect !

I'm not even sure if Hood Pins in general have changed in design or appearance ?

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Easy enough to make your own from Stainless bolts, get whatever clips from McMaster. (Back in the sixties I bought them, but really someone started their use by making them.)

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Look into some Chrysler resto catologs. Some late 60's Mopar cars had factory hood pins. As I recall the plates that screwed to the hood even had a rubber gasket.

4. carkiller

carkiller

A definate must. On my 60 Falcon gasser. I took it down the local highway for a test thrash. When I snapped 2nd gear the hood poped putting my teardrop scoop thru my windshield 2 hours befor heading to the drags. I replaced the winshield repaired the hood and installed pins. Cal

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '56 Ford ragtop got hood pins in 1960, great new idea at the time...I was running Fremont drags every weekend.
    Made the pins from 1/2" X 6" SAE stainless bolts, chopped the heads off, finished the holes with thin stainless plates.

Hood was detached from hinges, just 'pinned', but the stock hood latch was still there.
    Removed hood to tune it one day, then set it on and latched it for road test...Ride up Park Avenue, leaned on it in ist, then 2nd. 70 MPH or so, the hood came up, about a foot. I braked, and the hood went straight up, out of sight!
    My girlfriend said, "Look!" She was turned, looking out the unzipped rear window...
    I looked back, slowing down, and here's the hood: Hovering about 15 feet in the air!
    Then it changed attitude, dipped its rear, and came swooping down in an inside loop!
    WHAM! Upside down, partially flattening it!

Hood pins. Don't leave home without 'em.

6. trashn'l

trashn'l

Take a look at these, they are the Mopar ones mentioned above. I just put a set on my '64 Polara. They are stainless and come with all the parts shown for $25.50 on E-bay. Just search "Mopar hood pin kit".

[​IMG]

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

moroso, mr gasket, jegs, pretty good parts...