Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's Drag Lettering Ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Jun 6, 2013.

1. I got Ron Lasker coming tomorrow to letter my Henry J, need some ideas on the front fender.
    I am doing the "Bad Moon" on the quarters, Buffalo,NY on the tail pan, 513 behind the quarter windows, maybe my name on the doors.
    I was thinking M/T equip. or 16 lobe cam on the front fenders but what have yall got to say ?...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

"Phil's Speed Shop"

3. Squeak squeak
    Straley st. Garage
    Edelbrock equip
    Beware Hurst equip
    ???????

4. OldColt

OldColt

Damn, that little "J" looks good! I think I would put the cubic inches and engine make on the front fenders like many did in the old days. --- Steve ---

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

5. 'Doug's Headers'
    Acme Speed Center'

6. That's incredible, when I first saw the pics I thought they were some original pics of my HJ from its last paint job, circa 1972/73 or thereabouts, I got all excited since I'm always trying to find out about the history of the car. I plan on leaving the paint but re-doing the main panel with a name or something, so I'll keep an eye on this post. Here's my car, there are several previous paint jobs evident under this one if you look at it up close. I threw in a pic of it back in the day as well, I believe mid 70s.

Attached Files:

7. Ha ha, I told you last year I was borrowing some of your paint scheme. Who ever painted your car did a great job and like it enough to use some of it. Some of those pictures I hadn't seen though, the back shot is funny how close that is....lol

8. well it's a modern 383 chevrolet, so that would be confusing..lol
    I was thinking Chevrolet powered

I just looked through 87 pages of the Drag Cars in Motion thread, going cross eyed.

9. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

x2 The engine size on the front fenders would be very cool.

10. Does anyone remember what that type of painting was called and who originated it? It was not from California or the East Coast.Answer later.

11. My dad did run a 301 in his 57 p/u back in the day, 9 am is going to come quick and need something....lol

12. "jump'n-J-hosephat"
    always liked the old M&H logo, Sears & Roebuck Racing, 383 CU. IN.

13. are you doing paint ? or gold leaf? leaf would be awesome love your paint job

id try to come up with something clever like chevy mouse powered or mousey or ? (btw I aint that clever lol)

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wouldn't worry about the 383 thing. I'd put an old common engine size on the front fenders, like 283, 301, 327, or 331 Chevy. It will look more period.
    the old "Mr Gaskt Co." were popular on many gassers, as were Isky Cams, and the old "Drag News" yellow stickers. Lots of "B&M Hydro" sponsored cars too.

15. Muttley

Muttley

I've got a ton of old speed shops and equipment decals scanned, click here for some ideas.

16. neat car.

IMHO: don't be a poser gasser by painting stuff on the car that aint on/in the car...

it would be MUCH cooler to just use a retro theme to showcase the components you are rocking especially if the manufacturer has been a round a while. if you have edelbrock stuff, use an OLD logo. etc... or have your painter use single stroke 'racer' lettering to showcase whatever products you have used.

remember... manufacturer logos were for sponsorship or contingency because the racer used them.

just my bias.

neat car.

17. I agree with using what's in the car and keeping it vintage, Muttley I looked through an old thread where you posted a lot of your stuff.

I think I may just put Peacock's Garage, (that's my last name)

18. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

yup. SBC is SBC . . . no one will know how many inches are actually in it.

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

There was a painter in SoCal named Roland Sanders that went by the name of "Molly Designs" back in the '70's that did a lot of that style that he used to call "roadmapping" . He went on to be a major influence as a designer with Toyota and Yamaha until his passing a few years ago . A good friend and coleague .

20. And he "invented" Kawasaki Green ass well! Our pool cleaner back in the early 70's had a 65 El Camnio and a Toyota truck painted that style and they were done by Molly.

21. In Rhode Island it was called imaginering , spelling might be wrong. Carlg

22. Hren59

Hren59

Im partial to a "tuned and maintained by" and then either your name or shop name (if you have one)

23. racemad55

racemad55

Oddy automotive

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, that things bad ass! I don't think it's going to matter what you paint on it.

25. the brand of headers

26. That is what is was originally called and if I recall correctly the folks at AMT in Phoenix Arizona(creators of the Piranha)were the first ones to use it on a T bucket. That one used a multi-colored background(I think the T was orange)and all of the lines were at right angles to one another.Most of the ones that followed didn't use right angles throughout and it just didn't look right.It was best done in panels that were either square or rectangular with small rounded corners.I have a picture of the car somewhere in my morgue file;I'll see if I can dig it out.
    Phil:I remember seeing a lot of ink back in the late 60's and early 70's of Molly paint jobs.That guy was great.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dean Jeffries had a coupla pages in R&C in the late '50s and he just called it 'panel painting'.
    The Low Riders in San Jose called it "Tableclothing"...and visors were "Baseball hats".

28. Well ended up with this, little cliché but I think my son will like it when he gets older and takes over the reigns.

[​IMG]

29. Yeah! That Peacococks speed shop looks cool. What about 425HP or similar on front fender too.
    My 2c's.