Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Wally Welch Mercury (Ayala Bros. version)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. sololobo

sololobo

This Merc is a long time admired build by myself, it is so cool. I remember it being a new car at the time which really wowed me. Just a right on machine, thanx for spotlighting this ride and telling some of its history. ~sololobo~

3. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always really liked that car. Very good balance of "I don't want to show off, but I could steal your girlfriend".. Know what I mean? I'm a fan of the Ayala's work.

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

i agree,the Ayala chops were ohh soo smooth.Did i say i am a fan of the Ayala bros work.there ...i said it!

5. weez

weez

One of my favorite all time cars. I patterned my chop and my front fenders after it, (even though mine's a Ford.) I was in a shoot for a Street Rodder Mag cover in the late '80s that included the Welch Merc when Joe Eddie owned it, all we knew was that someone was showing up with a chopped Merc, I was floored when it turned out to be that one!

6. injunjoes

injunjoes

by far one of my favorite mercs if not my favorite,often times it seems its easy to get carried away when modifying these cars but this car nailed it on the first attempt. its subtle and classy to say the least

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I think it should have been restored back to this version. Not that the Barris purple version isn't beautiful, but there's just something about that lime green/gold paint and simple grill that is sooo cool looking. Maybe I've just seen too many purple mercs in my life!

8. Yes this is the version that looks best!
    When Barris continued with more modifications it was still easy to tell its origin as a Ayala custom. Customs that had Ayala body work did look much "smoother", corners more rounded and every sharp edge moldled out with lead...

9. Killer car and a killer cover. I wish it was being restored to this version as well.
    The story behind Joe Eddie finding and scoring this car is great. One of those "damn, why
    couldn't that happen to me?!" stories.
    D.

10. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How does the story go, Dragnut? I like stories!

11. I agree 100% .

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

so barris did this twice to the Ayala bro's? wasnt the bettancourt merc lime green too and got painted purple?

wow that will really screw with your confidence! :)

13. If I'm right I read it in the reborn R&C, Aug 1989, the issue with that car on the cover .
    A kid told him, I know where one on those cars, a chopped merc is sitting...
    - Well, it is probably an old Hudson, he thought.
    But there it was, for many years stored outoors at the same spot.
    If I remember correct there are photos in R&C of the car as it was found!

14. Rikster

Rikster

Fantastic Custom, and I also think this first version of it by the Ayala's looks better than the later Barris Version. Not that the Barris version is bad, its wonderful as well.
    I emailed a lot with Justin Mozart - the current owner - when he was getting ready and during the restoration of this Merc. And I mentioned hundred times he really should restore it back to this Ayala versions... he was still doubting which version to go to when the body was stripped and repaired. But in the end he choose the Barris version, simply because he does not like light colored 49-51 Mercs.

I think the chop is a lot less though than the Hop Up article mentioned. This Merc is one of the least chopped of all early Merc's, and check out the short rear quarter windows on it... The Ayala's - most work was done by Al Ayala - chopped it a very special way, perfectly proportioned!

15. Rikster

Rikster

There are no photos in the R&C as it was found.. I think that was in a Street Rodder Magazine... I have never seen them, so if anybody knows where these photos where printed... please scan then and share them here. I would love to see them.
    Thanks

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Heard that story from Joe a few times. Photographed it several times when he owned it, even bought him a copy of the Hop Up cover issue. I also like it in it's original version.

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Love this merc...

18. Love it, prefer this version over the Barris version.

19. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Rikster- Just want to say thank you again for your amazing photo archive, and for allowing me to post some images from it. It's a fantastic resource to say the least... ;)

20. woodbox

woodbox

Unbelievable vision that these guys had.......this was a BRAND NEW CAR! Fresh off the lot.....not just some old Jalopy from a barn to chop up!:cool:

21. The first version is so much better.... If it never was finished before Barris,then the purple version would be okay. That is what happens when cars have been redone twice,back in the past. Then the new owner has to decide which way he likes it more. I bet if it was redone like the first version,there would still be guys who say the like the purple version.

22. 53chevy

53chevy

The front fender treatment is pure genius! I too am a fan of the first version, simple, but elegant in so many ways. Everything about it is pure Bliss....

Ken

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Agree with most of you, Ayala version was best, maybe someday the current owner will change his mind...

24. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

I have to agree with Deron 100%. That is one of my favorite mercs hands down. That Hop-Up cover has always haunted me since I started collecting the "Little Books." I'm really glad the car is getting a full restoration, but think it would have had way more of an impact in the earlier version. But then again I love Lime Gold!

When I first read the story in Street Rodder I couldn't believe how Joe found it. The cover of that Street Rodder also led me from "who is that kid on the cover," to a short time later Keith becoming a great friend!

-Aaron

25. Willard Partch

Willard Partch

Hi Rik, I do not have a web site to send the Street Rodder article from May 1988. I have it saved on my computer.
    Willard

26. [​IMG]
    Well it looks like we weren't the only ones who liked the car in it's first(Ayala) version.This is a great picture Rik took showing us the award from Pan Pacific Nov.1951.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The Ayala's rocked. One of the best of the original custom Mercs. I'll go out on a limb as the first to say I like it better in purple.

28. Rikster

Rikster

Willard, if you can email me the scans you have I can post them here for you.

I found these on ebay... but I assume there is more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. wasnt it in white wash when found I know it was in a car rag

30. Rikster

Rikster

Yeah, I think I read it was painted with white house hold paint when it was found under an avocado tree... But I have never seen this photos...