Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60 to '54 F100 parts compatibility

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by conormulroney, Jun 20, 2006.

1. conormulroney

conormulroney

Here is my first real question since joining up.

OK, so I aquired this 1960 F100 to use the rear end in my '54 and I got to thinking.... Are there any other parts that wil interchange? I was wondering specifically about steering, suspension and brakes. I do need new king pins. Will the later spindles work? Swinging pedals and hydrolic clutch? steering box?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Conor

2. as far as i know the front axles were the same from 53 to 64 so the spindles should swap over

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

None Of Those Parts Are Bolt On Parts, However, I Have Incoperated Many '58~'60 Parts To My '55.

4. Spedley

Spedley

I thought the frames were basically the same. A wet clutch in the '60?? My '
    65 had linkage on it.

5. They changed the frame in 65 when they went with twin i beams. they were the same from 65-79 and everything from a 79 (disc brakes power steering etc) will bolt on a 65. My 61 had linkage also, maybe they are different from 61-64

6. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

thats wild...my '60 F100 has a wet clutch, too (and my '58). regarding the box: though i haven't DONE such a swap to a '54 myself, according to Vern Tardell's F100 steering box booklet i just got, the later '57 and up are similar to pre '56 (i think the mounting flange, though still 3 bolt, has a larger footprint in the '57s and on...the box itself is also slightly fatter). i'll check for sure later...dont have the booklet on me.

someone's bound to know firsthand.

7. conormulroney

conormulroney

Thanks for all the replies. My immediate concern would be the spindles because it would be a lot easier to ream them for new king pins off the truck and then swap over. My '54 is my daily now that my 16 year old son has my regular car. Next would be the 9 inch for better gears. The 4:11's and a 6 cyl are screaming at less than highway speeds. Too bad the motor is no good because I could use one of those. The rest ( brakes and steering ) would be future projects if they end up being in better shape.

Conor