Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Model Buick Grill on a 59 Chev?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussiefluke59, Feb 26, 2008.

1. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

Anyone out there have info on doing this? I have seen a pic that my uncle took of a Black 59 Chev Wagon at Donut Derelics that had a buick grill in it.

2. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

Come on guy's, help a brother out!
    Surely someone has seen the car i'm talking about!

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've never seen a buick grille in one. Are you sure you don't mean a '60 Merc grille? there is one in a black '59 wagon or elky (don't remember which) out there.

4. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

OOHHH, maybe! Do you have any pics? or know anyone that might?

5. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

i think you ment mercury. I think its an easy swap because alot of 50s 60s customs had them

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hellfish has one in his '59. I'll see if I can find more pics...

[​IMG]

7. I think that's a Merc grille on Hellfish's car tho they are similar and it's
    easy to confuse the two.

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yep, it's a '60 Merc grille, and we covered that already. :D

9. aussiefluke59

aussiefluke59

Thanks heaps guys! That is the grill i was thinking of Django! How easy would the swap be? Now the next question.......anyone know where to get one? And if it could be shipped to OZ?

10. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

The 60 merc grille is quite common in a 59 chev, it should almost have a GM part number.....
    I have it as a saved search on ebay, and there hasn't been one listed in the last 100 days.... the one that was listed before that was junk and sold for $200+ I am thinking I might be better off buying a complete 60 merc, keeping the grille, and reselling the car!
    BTW make sure you get the headlight bezels with it , they are going to be just as hard to find.
    watch for pitting,all that stuff is cast metal.

Attached Files:

11. Attached Files:

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That looks bitchin Tyler! What did you make the vents out of? Another grille?

A '62 Merc grille looks similar too.

13. Just round rod and a bunch of time. Click the link and you can see the complete fabrication

14. Nostalgic Dave

Nostalgic Dave

Do you have to cut a few teeth out of the grill to make it fit?

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

no, it's the perfect length, but the valance needs to be modified and you need to figure out a way to get to the hood latch. You'll need the Merc headlight buckets, too. All said and done, it's a pretty straight forward swap. It seems the word has gotten out and Mec grilles have jumped in price. A 61 grille is a few inches too short

16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Now I'm curious as to how the Byooik's grille would look on a Chev. I've seen my grille on a 60 Olds, I think it's Rick Amado's car. If I remember right he said the angle of the "V" of the grille is different than the angle of the "V" of his hood and it looks funny from the top.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

A 60 Buick grille is probably wider and would take a lot more work to fit... but it sure would stand out as different