Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Impala hubcaps falling off.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COUPES, Jul 4, 2013.

1. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Hello all, a friend of mine has just bought a 60 Impala bubble top, 348, auto, 3 owners from new and only 57k. Cars arrow straight!! It got delivered here in the UK yesterday and when it rolled off the truck it lost a hubcap. Not sure if they're new/aftermarket caps. Any experts know of any tips to make them stick? Lol. Haven't seen the car yet or caps so be gratefull for any advice.
    Don't want to use glue,nails or weld them suckers on

2. jbh

jbh

The wheels must be pre 63 and have the nubs around the permiter that hold the wheelcovers on. If they are missing, a small spot of weld can be added on at least four places. Jay

3. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Thanks for the info Jay. Will check when i see it.

4. I was always losing the rally caps for my '70 Nova until I wrapped a layer or two of electrical tape on the raised bump- never came off after that!

5. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Thanks Mac, i have used a cushion tape before and tried not to take the bends to quick lol.
    My buddy's away so got too wait till i can have a look. Think its all original? Might be Chinese caps? :eek:

6. jbh - what he said - see if the rims have the little nubs - about maybe an inch....should be about four I think....

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Wheel covers or hub caps? I've heard that with some early wheels, when radial tires are used, they will sometime pop wheel covers off; must be due to more flex in the rim due to the radials? Hubs caps, have't heard of that, unless as you said, Chiwanese reproductions. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. garcoal

garcoal

had same problem with 66 tbird. front wheels only. put different style hubcaps on haven't lost one in about 6 years. I agree the old rims after about 50 years seem to get a little flexy. could be the radials I never thought about that

9. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Also check the hubcaps to see if the matching nub is not cracked or pushed in. They can be carefully raised up with a small screwdriver. Don't have a solution for cracked caps. I have used rtv/electrical tape around the perimeter of the cap which seemed to help.

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Had the same issue on my 52 with radials (roll eyes) stock wheels and Lancer covers. I ended up just changing to center caps. I was afraid after the last sharp turn and losing it, that the next time would be in an intersection and the cap end up hitting someone else's car.

11. Happy to help, COUPES! And I pushed that Nova HARD through corners every once in a while (had just put in the "new" poly bushings) and never lost a cap :D... there was this one exit for Glassboro off of 55 in Jersey that was particularly enjoyable :)

All I did was wrap the tape good and tight, and cut it carefully. If I remember correctly (this was the 80's), I put three layers on, and found that was too much. Carefully peeled one layer off, and was good-to-go.

12. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, as stated the wheels must have the nubs on the rim, assuming the hubcaps are original. Also check the hubcaps and make sure the rolled bead on the mounting lip is not distorted or dented.

Attached Files:

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Use silicone...the kind that comes in a tube...!!!

Squirt three or four beads, almost in the same spots as on the wheel illustration above...let dry and they won't ever come off...of course, when you have a flat and want to remove them, you'll play hell getting them off...but of course, that's why you only squirt small 'beads' of it on.

R-

14. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

The outer hubcaps used to fly off every time I took a sharp corner with my Impala. Use to do it for fun to see how far they would go.