Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Falcon with a 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phoenix24, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Ok. Does anyone run into issues with the front of the wheel well? That's where mine is rubbing but I think there's a fender mount/brace.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Can you take a few pictures of what your talking about? That might help us see what your seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I would love to, but the car is still in the shop. They said late morning... But now it's 2pm and still nothing. About to call them in a bit.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  4. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

We called at 11:30 and they said that they just got it on the alignment rack. My grandpa is saying about 2-3 hours for the alignment, so I guess it's about right. He said to wait for them to call... Guess I'm waiting

5. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Welp, went to pick it up. Talked to the guy who did the alignment and he said he can tweak it a little more to try and get some more clearance. It dogs a little bc the rear is out about a degree. The front is still really close, so we're probably either going to go to a smaller tire or take it to a shop to get cut. It's beyond rolling the lip I think. The clutch fork is hitting the exhaust, so the exhaust guy there is going to take care of it. My grandpa is going to pick it up tomorrow when they call him. I have school. Next weekend the goal is to put the passenger door together, replace the rear glass track felt, weld up the holes in the floor (we drilled trying to fit the seat), and put on the side mirrors. It sounds like allot, but it's little things that shouldn't take too long, besides the welding, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

The exhaust sounds amazing. It has a great low rumble at idle, you can definitely hear the cam now. It roars at higher rpms as well. I had to leave and I didn't grab a recording. It will be easier once I have it back to grab some sound. I'll probably take my sister on a ride and see if she can take a recording for me.Can't wait to get it on the road more and more.

Also, the guys had an issue with reverse apparently, didn't know where it was. Some of the older guys knew, but they got a kick out of it lol.

6. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

18th birthday is coming up, and I still do not have my eagle scout done. I'm going to be putting this on the side, until I get my eagle done. If I am inactive, that is why. I'll see you guys once I'm done with that.

I hope you understand. Thank you guys again. I'm still thing to try and get a video of the new exhaust btw, but progress will slow and possibly stop on the car. It's a shame because it's so close to getting done, but I have to focus on the eagle scout.

Thank you guys again, see you when I can.
    ~Patrick

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 195/60-15s on the front of mine, on 15" x 7"s. The car is lowered more than yours is. They do not hit, but I also have 600in.-lb. coils, and a 1" anti-sway-bar in the front.

Phoenix24 likes this.
  8. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I'm going to try and make some progress over the weekends. But it's definitely going to take a back seat.

A small update, the front wheels are no longer rubbing! My grandpa picked it up from the alignment shop yesterday and drove it home. He even took my uncle around and it didn't run in the front.... That being said the rear wheels are rubbing now. So we're going to take a bottle jack and some wood and push out the wheel well. Shouldn't be too much of an issue hopefully. He didn't act like it was tearing things apart, so it's most likely minor.

My uncle said the exhaust sounds really good, and that the car is running song. This is coming from a guy who had a 454 Nova with those same mufflers lol

9. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Shoot some video. Up load it to you tube. Post the link here. We will all enjoy

loudbang and Phoenix24 like this.
  10. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Will do. Just might be a bit dark. If anything I will just snatch a vid this weekend

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  11. 6sally6

6sally6

Roll the rears like I told you how to do the fronts. Takes a little while but does an excellent job. Been doing it that way since.......mid 60's?!!
    6sally6

12. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

That works with the skirt fender as well?

Also, Idk if it's the lip thats hitting or if it's t deeper into the wheel well and hitting. They have a kind of rounded shape at the top.

loudbang likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The outer wheel houses part company with the quarter panel very quickly, and move toward the center.
    IMG_20171124_153019.jpg IMG_20171124_152951.jpg
    This will not leave you with a lot of clearance on suspension cycling. It is even worse if you lower it.

I ended up making outer mini-tubs, to replace my outer wheel houses.

Phoenix24 and loudbang like this.
  14. 6sally6

6sally6

After you drive it and it scrubs get out and examine the rear fenders.....you should be able to see the black tire 'scrubs' lrft on the wheel wells. That's-your-sign!!!
    6sally6

Gammz likes this.
  15. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

It's rubbing on the outer wheel well side. You can tell where the tire hit bc it rubbed off all the coating. You can actually feel it, nice and smooth lol. Probably going to take a bottle jack and put it in there and push out the sides. Might get air shocks as well.

Also, here's that audio clip I didn't rev it because it's like 9pm and the baby cousin was asleep.

16. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Also, the speedo is right on the spot, and I'm turning about 2k at around 60. I don't think that rear is 3.77... or that od is really working out good.

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

@Phoenix24 Before you go at it with a bottle jack try the old baseball bat trick. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere but it's easy grab the bat and insert the fat end up in the wheelwell in front end of the tire, then ROLL it towards the tire so it is between the outside of the tire and the fender. Then ROLL the bat so it goes further and further along the edge of the fender and the tire. The bat should "Curl up" the part of the fender that is sticking out toward the tire and it is ROUND not like a block of wood and bottle jack. Keep ROLLING the bat further and further along until you come out the backside of the fender.

1947knuck and Thor1 like this.
  18. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

The thing is, it's not the lip that's rubbing, it's the wheel well towards the middle/top. I feel like with the bat trick it would flair out the edge, which would look weird on the skirt fender style in the back. It rubbing the middle of the sidewall, not the tread or anything from what I can see.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Nice chop!!! Thanks!!

20. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

This is kinda what's happening, but it's hitting the sidewall as the body rolls. It's not hitting the treads though, thank goodness. I think I'm going to figure out a way to push that out. I was thinking a bottle jack but Loudbang was saying to try the bat trick... I don't think it'll hit where I need it to, and thinking about it idk if it'll even get in there.

I could hardly fit my fingers in there, so I definitely need to clearance it with either a bottle jack or otherwise.

loudbang likes this.
  21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Budget head swap is using the 1965 early 1966 heads :http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/interchange5.html These will increase compression a full point and give you adjustable rocker arms to get more flow when you do a valve job use these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-840-...146333?hash=item4b2ddf269d:g:--gAAOSwZzVeFlxq

loudbang and Phoenix24 like this.
  22. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Ik the heads on there now are 289 heads. Is there any way to figure out what they are without removing them?

loudbang likes this.
  23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Did you pull the valve cover ? This shows where the code is located the one underneath I can feel with the exhaust off press your finger hard or a piece of paper to get an imprint. https://classicmustang.com/casting-numbers/ I got lucky I have the C5OE-A Hi-PO's on my '84 302,local guy didn't want a Ford motor in his Jeep and I scored them for $60 :D he had no idea what they were.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I don't have direct access to the car right now but will later today. These are the pictures from when I had the valve covers off. Idk if they'll help anything.

I'm probably going to go through later and replace the lifter studs (I think that's what they're called). There are actually some that are mis matched. Some of the bolts are different, which bugs me but should be fine as long as the lash is right *I think*. But one of the studs on the passenger side is completely different. It's one with the hex key in the middle to adjust it. Later I think I'm going to buy a set of those and replace them all, and get the lash right.

I'm completely new to this subject, so correct me if I'm wrong. I was told I should be able to reuse the pushrods as long as I can get the lash right and they're not bent.

The straight tag is on the top left and it's upside down, the circular tag is in front between the rocker arms for cl 5, the x is between the rockers for 7 I believe, the wf is between the rockers for 6, and the 289 smack in the middle between 6&7. It's been a second sense I've looked at them, so I may be wrong on the order of where the numbers/letters are. 20191225_152715.jpeg 20191225_152709.jpeg 20191225_152702.jpeg 20191225_152654.jpeg 20191225_152641.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

loudbang likes this.
  26. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Click on the crankshaft coalition link and scroll down to Ford part numbers it's listed dead center.

28. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Oh jeez, how did I miss that!? What does that mean though? Again, nothing coming up for "original muscle parts program". I'm guessing they're higher performance heads? I've seen a few threads that talk about it, but nothing that's listing the exact numbers and such.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Before Ford had the Ford Racing parts catalogs it was Ford Motorsports like the valve covers I have. Probably the heads were dealer over the counter and may have also been found on 1967-68 Mustang GT's as an option for the 289 with a hydraulic cam,the cam and push rods in my 302 were listed in an older Motorsports catalog the grind is the same as the Edelbrock Performer cam and several other brands have a copycat of it. 1-oops.jpg

30. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Oh cool! I never knew that about Ford. I'm usually more of a Chevy guy, so allot of this is new to me. My grandpa is new to sbf, he usually deals with bbf, so my usual place of information on Ford didn't know either lol.