Weekend Update (Jane, you ignorant slut!): Okay, I need to preface this with an explanation as I owe Nostalgia Sid an apology. I've been talking to Sid, of-and-on, for a while about lowering this beastie. He is SUPER COOL and full of more information than I'll ever possess. He has a pretty long waiting list because Sid is good at what he does. Having talked to Sid, I would have had to pay shipping twice and wait a month or so to have my axle stretched. I sincerely feel shitty for stringing Sid along for so long on this axle. -BUT- I just came off of a COMPLETE kitchen remodel AND it's the holidays and the accounts are setting at about "a quarter tank". On top of that, since my shop is small and I have other projects outside this hobby, I can't have the truck on stands and unmovable for a month, maybe two. So, and don't hate me, I chose to go with an aftermarket axle from a shop about 50 miles from me, up in Ontario CA. And, Sid, if you're watching... I'm sorry. . I give you permission to stomp on my big toe if we're ever face-to-face. I did, however buy the rear spring mounts from Sid and they are nice! And, I got them in 3 days. Thumbs up! Some of the reasons I went the "aftermarket axle" route: It was half the cost when you factor in freight. Free shipping. I got it in two days. (I'm not very patient sometimes... okay, ALWAYS) The place it right up the road so, If I need to bust heads over this thing, I can still be mad when I get there, rather than having a flight in the middle to calm me down. (Just kidding) Camber is changed from stock specs and is designed for use with radial tires. It has a 2 year warranty. Less downtime in the shop. Now, since I have my old axle out, in the future, I WILL be sending it to Sid for a stretch just because I eventually (when more funds are available) want this done the right way. So, with the "much ado" portion of the post out of the way, lets see some carnage! The new axle: Painted: The teardown: I like to keep stuff in piles in the order and placement they had before: Those shocks work, the rubbers are dry rotted, I'm gonna change them out. Hover Truck! Forget lowering it, "where we're going, we don't need roads!" Just need to make a quick stop at the clock tower for some gigawatts. These are my tie rod drops. One caveat, if you buy this style, is to pay close attention to the threaded bit, as it was a different size and thread than the 1/2"- 20 bolts included in the kit. I had to run to the local Hardware store because I didn't have the 29/64ths drill bit and the 1/2-20 tap. No worries, got 'er done. Harkening back to my Harley days, I used blue loctite on the bolts for added security from them backing out. I had to modify a 3/4 wrench to fit inside the tie rod drops in order to tighten the castle nut. There is a hole on the opposite side of the tie rod drop so you can install the cotter pin. The install pics get spotty from here on out because it was getting late and I just wanted to get it back down on the ground so I can flip it around in my tiny shop to do all of the work I have to do to the rear. Just know that the axle kinda just flopped itself into the hole. No problems at all. Overall a VERY NICE axle and I'm impressed with the build quality. The welds are nice and it's stout. The kingpins installed without any hitches (I was worried I'd have to hone the kingpin bosses on the axle but, no.). They fit just like the factory axle. And... she's "nose down"! The ONLY problem I have is I have to adjust the tie rods and do a down and dirty "shop alignment" to get it ready to have it properly aligned. She's the opposite of pigeon toed right now. The stock axle is 53 1/2" kingpin to kingpin. whereas the replacement axle is 53 3/4" kingpin to kingpin. Making the whole steering arm shorter than it has to be. I've got a new tie rod coming for the passenger side because the boot was toast and honestly... it looks like it hasn't been changed since they were installed on the assembly line ,62 years ago. So, once I get the tie rod (probably Monday) I'll be straightening the steering out. Before and after shot: That's it for today. I'll post up the progress on the rear as it happens. Edit: Imgur is doing that thing again where it's deciding what pics it wants to show. The pics show up in the thread on my Android but not my desktop. Go figure. It happens from time to time, and usually works itself out.