Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A. McGovern, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I've disassembled all I can. Loaded up the car and all the panels. Early tomorrow I'll leave to drop the car off for media blasting. It's going to be nice to be able to see exactly what I need to repair. I've never had a car completely stripped of all paint and rust. Stoked for a clean slate to start metal work! I'll pick up the car Tuesday morning.
    IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7164.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

2. Got the car back on Thursday. Came out pretty clean. He had some trouble cleaning up underneath so the frame isn't as clean as I'd hoped and the differential still chunked with old grease. From the differential back, he said whatever is on there, would not come off with the media he was using (green diamond is what it's called). I'd like to pull the body off the frame and ideally put it on a rotisserie so I'm not too upset about all that. There are however, lots of small rust holes that appeared. Some no larger than a pin hole. Not sure if I need to cut out and repair those, or if I can pick up some leading supplies and fill them that way. Others may do well just to receive some seam sealer. All in all, I'm happy with the result. I have a much better idea of the condition of the car and can start moving forward.

[​IMG]

Passengers side rocker.

[​IMG]

Passenger door jamb

[​IMG]

Passenger roof

[​IMG]

Drivers roof

[​IMG]

Drivers quarter at door jamb

[​IMG]

Drivers quarter in front of rear wheel

[​IMG]

D/S rear tailgate jamb

[​IMG]

P/S rear tailgate jamb

[​IMG]

P/S quarter

[​IMG]

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  3. Fenders, doors and tailgates. I had the tailgate from the parts car blasted as well, it's hiding underneath the D/S fender and core support.

[​IMG]

Pin holes on the edge of the hood. Not quite as bad on the other side.

[​IMG]

Photo was taken upside down because the hood is upside down on a stand. This is rust on the rear of the hood, near the cowl panel.

[​IMG]

D/S quarter in front of wheel well

[​IMG]

4. Andy

Andy

There is a 60 Biscaine wagon that I am going to get the left rear wheel well from. It is rust free but shot up. Texas you know. Maybe you could get some panels from it.

A. McGovern likes this.
  5. That would be perfect! When you get a chance, could you send some photos?

6. Pfft, I wouldn't waste my time on that rusty ol car. This would be a perfect opportunity for you to donate a bunch of parts to me!! You know, kinda like an organ donor thing :p looks awesome man :D

A. McGovern likes this.
  7. Haha. I do have my parts car. Once I get what I need off of it, you're welcome to snag a few things. All depends what you need.

8. Quick update. Still waiting to have the new large compressor wired in, but I'm able to use my small compressor in the meantime. I've started with rust repair on the inner fenders to gain some practice before I move onto larger more important areas. Sometime soon I need to go pick up a new full floor pan so that I can replace that. Once the floor is done, I will separate body and frame. I'll then strip down the frame and send it out for sandblast and powder coat. image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image8.jpeg image9.jpeg image10.jpeg image11.jpeg image0.jpeg image1.jpeg IMG_7742.jpg IMG_7743.jpg IMG_7744.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    brEad and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  9. That came out great. I haven't seen one yet that hasn't rusted the roof behind the trim on the sides.

10. I think it came out pretty good too! I have many small areas of rust that will need to be addressed, but one step at a time. I've thought about some of the areas like the side of the hood where there is multiple layers of metal, maybe I can get some sort of rust preventative spray to shoot in there as best I can and then epoxy the holes, or use metal filler type bondo. We will see!

11. I began working on the core support. The bottom flange that mounts to the frame is rusted through. I have to cut through two layers and create separate templates for both. Used my spot weld cutter to remove the two braces and separate both layers from one another. Step by step it's coming along.

I also went down to the Truck and Car Shop yesterday to take advantage of their Thanksgiving sale. Picked up the floor pan sections. I had planned on purchasing the full floor pan, but that is backordered and not due to arrive until late February. I figured even though my trans tunnel has been hacked, I don't know what trans I'll be using and may have to cut the tunnel to make it fit. Made more sense to buy the individual floor pan pieces and weld those in.

IMG_7749.jpg
    IMG_7751.jpg IMG_7757.jpg IMG_7758.jpg IMG_7759.jpg IMG_7760.jpg IMG_7761.jpg IMG_7762.jpg IMG_7763.jpg IMG_7764.jpg IMG_7768.jpg IMG_7769.jpg IMG_7770.jpg

brEad and anothercarguy like this.