Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Chevy right hand drive question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T McG, Sep 11, 2008.

1. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Our painter at work builds serious low riders. With that crowd, it's all about trophys. To get trophys you need to be extreme. To be extreme, you need to be a little wacko. So this guy is getting ready to do a 60 Chevy and is making all the plans and he decides to really put this one over the top maybe it should be right hand drive. Wacko, yes, different yes way different for that group. So the problems would be somewhat obvious. The steering box would have to have the mounting ears on the other side. Frame mounting shouldn't be that difficult. The dash could be cut and moved around to the other side.

What has me puzzled is how does the shift linkage get to the other side on a real rhd car, and how does the throttle linkage work. Is it a different trans? Yes you could do a cable for both, but this car will have to have all the correct stuff in order to pull it off. They don't go for Lokar crap on these things. I'm hoping somebody here has a real rhd car that can shed some light on this for me.

2. Takes one wacko to know another one.

I would think that maybe some of our HAMB brother across the pond might be able to add some insight to this. Come on MART where are you on this one.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Amc jeeps used Saginaw boxes, There were RHD Postals with the box on the right=avalible steering box.

The Aussie guys can help on the shifter stuff..

4. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Good thought on the postal box. I'm sure the box won't be a problem. What would be nice is somebody across the way to have a parts car with all the right stuff.

Ron whats up with the avatar don't you know where you live?

5. Gotta claim the old hood along with the new one.

6. timebombrod

timebombrod

We fabricate these right hand steering boxes in our workshop in New Zealand.
    Never actually thought there would be a need for them in the US!

Attached Files:

7. Seems to me an export '59 or '60 Chevy would provide all the pieces you need - dash if you want to ship one, column, linkage, pedals, whatever else is different. Just a matter of bucks - it cost me $60 to ship a complete dash within the US, I can only imagine what it would cost to ship from Australia or New Zealand.

8. check out www.cheytalk.com bet their is somebody across he pond that can help