Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Camino Hanger Bearing -- I wana DRIVE 'shafted'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, May 13, 2005.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

OK-

I got this 60 Camino with the driveshaft out.

the rubbers all fucked up around the hanger bearing... most fucked up driveshaft I've ever seen-- its not like its a LIMO.

So the bearing turns awesome... but the rubbers so bad it would flop around obviously... so theres gotta be a cure- what Can I do-

can you replace the rubber
    or do you have to bring it in?
    this driveshaft is gay.

Tuck

2. Tony

Tony

Tuck, i'd have to look under one of my buddy's 62 impala's to get another look at the set up.
    He replaced the carrier bearing in one of them, and we found out the other night that his other 62 needs one..
    He told me you can get the whole bearing assembly, which is what he was going to do..
    I assume the new assembly come's with the rubber mount.
    Also, he had a 64 bel air a couple years ago, and he had converted that to a one piece shaft (because the Og one is gay).
    I think he had to clearence the inside of the frame where it passed through the rear of the X..

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

someones had to have dealt with these at some point?---

I dont know jack about them thats why im asking-

Tuck

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ask Rashy, he changes em all the time.....or KustomD.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thanks pack-
    thats what i was wondering

it looks like a pressed on deal though and how the hell do they get it on.

I'm gonna look at the ONE piece deal- I dont like this thing at all.

thanks

Tuck

6. Tuck:
    Check back through the threads;this topic was covered in some depth awhile ago.They come apart relatively easy,but you should mark the shafts beforehand so you can put them back the same way;otherwise the joints will be out of phase.Also before you tighten the two bolts in the mount make sure the car is setting with the wheels on the ground and in the normal ride height position.Otherwise you'll be changing them about every two weeks.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

cool thanks for the info Ill do a search-

you guys rule

Tuck

8. Nimrod

Nimrod

My first car was a '60 El Camino. I went through four or five center bearings, and broke two driveshafts before I went to Pick and Pull with a tape and found a one piece that would fit. It took a little cutting and welding to give it room...but it rarely ever rubbed and was trouble free.

9. Tuck-you unbolt the large bolt that holds the cener joint and carrier in place....It has to have the center U joint removed first though.....

TIP:-Once repaired be sure jack up the cars rear with jack [under the rear axle] so as to NOT let the rear end hang down...this prevents the bearing from being forced out of its carriers rubber surround.......
    Also let the car down on its wheels LOADED and THEN tighten the two bolts that mount the carrier to crossmember.....
    YES THEY ARE ALL SHIT.
    OH-.....BUY THE LIFETIME WARRANTIED ONE- AT YOUR PARTS STORE!!!!

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I actually bought this through my bizz- it really is my new shop truck.

I sold my Honda, Ford Pickup- i guess thiswill take there place.

Check out the "faux patina" Its not FAKE.

I pulled all the trim for the buff-out. It shines, it came from Austin Texas.

Tuck

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

-heres what it looked like yesterday...
    Buffing Compound RULES.

12. yngrodder

yngrodder

That thing is gay, (HaHa) Nice score good luck with the project,
    You can buy the carrier at any parts store there not bad to change. they are pressed though.

13. if you got some cash you can take it to a driveline shop have them replace the 3 u-joints (good quality ones), the carrier bearing, weld in a slip yoke in the back half of the shaft, balance it and you'll never have trouble again. for mine it cost around $150, been running 3 shafts this way for years. also remember to tighten bolts in the center AFTER the car is on the ground.

14. yngrodder

yngrodder

Or if yours is as low as mine was just put the jack stands on the axle.

15. stevilknievel

stevilknievel

We (my dad & I) did the same thing that 1oldtimer did. For about 3 years... every spring a new center bearing went in. Last year we riped everythings out... checked the angles & lengths (There has been several motor in this car) and then shopped around for the best bearings we could find. But it all back together & it works great now! This year was the master cylinder & booster... things not going so great there. Just can't get brakes @ idle. Vacuum is fine... just no brakes.

16. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hey tuck,,you can replace the carrier assembly yourself,its the metal housing rubber and bearing all comes together,..

a lowrider trick is to replace the carrier assembly with an aftermarket solid carrier assembly(no rubber) and a rear slip shaft(like 4X4's) that set up is usually bulletproof.

17. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I have the same basic system in my '71 half-ton. The shaft comes apart-splines will need to be marked for reassembely. after replacing mine every other year or so, I got a new one(they are hollow rubber),and cut a 1/4" hole in top and bottom, and filled it solid with black silicone. fill it from the bottom, till it starts to come out the top hole. put duct tape to seal the hole till the silly cone cures.(about a week) I have had one like this for 10+ years.:D Sparky

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

there's a place called Inland Empire that makes a urethane bushed version, it's supposed to be bulletproof.

what's the 64's status? does it still have chrome reverse and ww's?

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think the 64's getting Paint this summer- tripple black. I'm waiting to get my new hood back from the media blaster- I was going to drive it daily. I might paint it and sell it.

Its sitting in the booth behind the camino- heres a shot-

20. Tony

Tony

"Dingleballs"!
    Too fuckin' cool..LOL

21. Sometimes guys will pull the 2-pc. shaft out of these cars and leave whatever spacers were between the pedestal and the frame laying up in the frame somewhere and the center support won't go back in the same place. They don't all have spacers but if yours does they ought to go back in. The factory manual has a bit on getting everything back at the correct angles...something to look at, but I have found that the shafts can usually take a lot of misalignment before becoming a problem, and some cats eat them no matter what it seems you do. The center u-joint seems to wear quickly unless you make an effort tp pull the shaft back and lube that joint everytime you lube the others.

Charlie

22. i cheated..............i used a drive-on rack.

23. kustomd

kustomd

Everyone on here is right about the bearings. I just replaced mine again about two months ago I had a problem recently with ripping the assembly loose at the spot welds and the driveshaft flopping around. So when I bought a new one I welded up all the seams really carefully not to melt the rubber.

I never thought of the silicon tip I may have to try that. A new assembly around here is at the most about 30 bucks depending on where you go.

Those solid ones are supose to be bullet proof but if you can get a shaft with a slip yolk in it they will last alot longer.

And like everyone has said DON'T tighten the carrier up untill the suspension is loaded all the way.
    If you have anymore questions just give me a PM I have 3 60 chevy's now I just need an elcamino and a wagon.