Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Yes they are Rich. I watch Pete's broadcasts and interviews everyweek because I can't get out to the track any longer. The mods still make my heart throb. Raw power and energy on a bull ring.

2. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Spook....now THERE was a character! I used to race slot cars with him back in the mid 60s.

3. EEZI

EEZI

I found this photo in an old scrapbook I bought. Does anyone out there in vintage-land know who, where, when, etc? NY or New England is most likely location. The professional photo is stamped on the back "Photo by Ahlers." Thanks.
    Search words: Pulaski Service Center, Herold Marroitt, Proprietor, Esso, Lucky Lois

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well there is a Pulsaki in Oswego county in NY. Track could be Brewerton, Fulton, Lafargeville, Evans Mills.

5. Karl stark

Karl stark

Also a Pulaski in VA.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

and tennesee too, but op mentioned he thought NY.

7. the 88 car in that photo was henry newcombe.....he ran in upstate n.y in the late 50's thru the 60's at tracks such as the watertown fairgrounds [ now gone]....newcombe was a good racer and well liked.....the pulaski in question is located between syracuse and watertown n.y.

8. kt

kt

"Spoils".....I really don't remember too much about the order of things. I thought the nose with the girl's backside had the frontal view on the inside of the panel.....I remember the "Spook" was the best in da business at the time. He also did some work for the "Candy Man", Don Whalen back in the day. His hands used to shake like crazy unless he had a beer or a brush in it.......lol

....On a side note......Anyone notice the lace in the paint work on the hood and back panels on those '72-'74 pics.....MT saw someone do that once, went out and bought his own little spray gun and did that work himself. Talk about attention to details.

.....Steve Hmiel, if I remember correctly was a part of Jerry Cook's crew back in the day along with Robin Pemberton. A little before my time maybe, but I was always a fan, especially when he worked with Steve Park......Nice of him to comment on MT's cars. I do remember big George. Jerry was always a good guy, treated me well when I attempted a few tour races back in the eighties.

It was quite the childhood............

9. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Yes, KT, I bet it was "quite the childhood." Like a lot of us track brats, I'd say you had one dad and one mom, but a whole bunch of "parents" at various speedways, keeping you in line!

The "George" mentioned in recent posts was the late George Colwell, a veteran of successful NASCAR points chases with Don MacTavish, Jerry Cook, and Richie Evans. What a neat guy ... he may have attended more Modified/Sportsman races between 1965-80 than most of us will ever see, because he was almost always aligned with a points-chaser. Think of all the highway miles and the motel rooms and the greasy-spoon diners guys like George experienced ...

10. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

One of My fav Big Geo storty was of him letting down the window net of the "King" Richard Petty an turning around an saying " Damn where's the rest of the crew"

The crew knew they put left side tires on right side ( softer) an Maurice knew the motor was LARGE .

George was a mentor to many crewmen an Drivers alike one of his last was Adam Petty

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Harry Hyde told me that he was talking to Richard while that car was being inspected, and Richard told him the motor was too big.

Harry said he told Richard, "Don't worry about it, after it cools down it'll probably measure OK."

According to Harry, Richard's answer was, "They can take that one to Alaska and it ain't gonna measure OK."

12. ralphdrocketman

ralphdrocketman

I purchased this photo of MT at Fulton Speedway in 1978. This was the first car out of Troyer Engineering & was the his first white Pinto. I remember that Gary Montgomery the track announcer at Spencer Speedway started calling MT "White Lightning" It is also interesting that Fulton Speedway went from a paved track, to a dirt track the next season. It seemed strange to me that they didn't dig up the asphalt, they put the clay right over it. Fulton is still a dirt track today.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. RomanFan

RomanFan
    from Verona N.Y

They did put dirt over the black top at Utica Rome Speedway but they dug across the track for drainage,by the way U.R is having their 50th anniversary this Wed. night with alot of the old drivers gates open at 4:00
    if your in the area stop in.

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

From Indy Bones, "Yes, KT, I bet it was "quite the childhood." Like a lot of us track brats, I'd say you had one dad and one mom, but a whole bunch of "parents" at various speedways, keeping you in line!"

Amen to that. My wife was a little concerned when I started taking our nine-year-old son on ASA trips with me. I told her he had about a hundred "uncles" in that pit area who were going to see that he didn't get in trouble and didn't get hurt.

15. EEZI

EEZI

Thanks for the possible ID as a Henry Newcombe. Another shot of the #88 Lucky Lois, marked Photo by Ahlers. Any other info on the ID of the driver or track or date?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

RIP Ray. That's too bad. I saw many of his cars run on what was to become the DIRT circuit. I also saw Brian run many times. There's a nice article on Ray (with that photo) in the 1973 Gater news yearbook. In the article it says that pic was 1 week before his accident, and was his last win.

17. EEZI.......it is henry newcombe for sure ....photo is from watertown,n.y speedway....taken on june 21st, 1958 after newcombe won the first semi on the night'sracing card....hank newcombe was from pulaski,n.y and may live there still

18. monksfan

monksfan
    from fonda n.y.

bucka.jpg bucka.jpg An original Buck Holiday,except for the hood.Sorry for the double upload...

19. EEZI

EEZI

Thintin, thanks for the specifics. Excellent info.
    Now a little vintage modified. Lionel Arel, with the cigar, and the DN3, which stood for...?
    And somebody will have to help out about the car owners' name. Maybe a Dodge or Plymouth coupe?
    In the background are the trademark horns of a Buddy Bardwell car, also.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. carlalique

carlalique
    from seneca, sc

Linda Vaughn offered to"assume the position". This encounter was at Hiawasse Ga. 3 day car show this past weekend where she graciously posed along side my 36' Chevy modified. 60 years ago she posed in kneehigh boots and white short shorts along side my 32' chevy streetrod at the northeast nationals. She still looks great. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

• n15.jpg
      n15.jpg
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
    • n16.jpg
      n16.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
    • n17.jpg
      n17.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
  21. carlalique

carlalique
    from seneca, sc

Linda Vaughn....correction maybe 45-50 years ago; assume Linda is in her 60's today. Sorry.

22. Snape26

Snape26

Danny and Norman Cashini owned this car, from Northampton, MA. Danny is in the blue jacket wiping his hands with a rag, while a can of oil is going into the engine. The Cashini Bros. ran a Mobile Gas Station, hence the Mobile Oil cans. Lionel does have the cigar. Sonny Rabideau, the driver of the DN3, is standing to the right, with the white drivers uniform. Above his last name is the cartoon Bugs Bunny. Sonny had Bugs, Buddy Bardwell had the Horns. The rest of the guys are the crew. Under the hood is a 392 Hemi w/ 4 carburetors. The car is most likely a 34 Ford, notice the suicide doors. This is the same car that was in the Brattleboro Newspaper (8-11-11) taking notice of the passing of Sonny Rabideau.

23. blk sedan

blk sedan
    from ct

check out northeast modify.com for ct and mass tracks joe

24. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

That would make her 68 years young.

25. JBull

JBull
    from NY

the last that I believe I have on Maynard Troyer from '72 to '74....top left corner looks like it may be '75 or '76

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the pits at Freeport....in between Evans and Bodine with Fred Harbach's white camaro in the background with Bruno Brackey's coupe

[​IMG]

at Marinsville I believe...

[​IMG]

this may be later than '74 as the front hood appears flatter and longer than the '72 to '74 cars and the cars themselves begun to appear lower and wider starting in '75 I believe....

[​IMG]

not sure where...the Armstrong one in the background....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. JBull

JBull
    from NY

some more of Charlie J in the rwb #1 coupe years...

in victory lane with Larry Mendolsohn...

[​IMG]

in the pits at Islip....

[​IMG]

CJ getting through a skirmish involving the #333 of Ed Brunhoelzl, looks like the 9A of Bob Holmberg on the outside of him, the #16 coach of Ted Wesnofske and the #15 camaro of Wayne Anderson....

[​IMG]

a Len Calinoff shot of the coupe in the pits at Islip displaying his sponsor JJ White

[​IMG]

Charlie on the outside of Art Tappen's #14 coupe and chasing the #20 coupe of Bill Park on his way to a victory at Islip in 1970...

[​IMG]

a couple of more victory lane celebrations....

[​IMG]

in the pits, I'm not sure where

[​IMG]

blowing a tire and looping it at Langhorne

[​IMG]

I believe a Fred Smith photo

[​IMG]

battling Bill Park in the #20 again at Islip....

[​IMG]

27. kt

kt

Thanks JBull.....The top left corner photo is from 1975. The man pictured with MT, Bob Sparklin, is the infamous "Spook" we were talking about earlier. The one who did all the detailed paint work and murals on MT's car in that era................kt

28. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

For those in the area Utica Rome Speedway in Vernon, NY is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. Friday night the track is having a 100 lap 10K to win big block modified race. Along with the racing they are also having displays of vintage cars, meet and great with the older drivers, etc. I believe a couple of commerative old coupe bodied cars have been built and may serve as pace cars, and perhaps a few parade laps of the old cars might be in the program as well.

http://www.uticaromespeedway.com/newsroom/

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  29. rayderluvr

rayderluvr

I found this thread while looking for information on "old" dirt modifieds. My Grandpa raced from 1948 until 1970. I have included excerpts from an article written about him in 2007 when he was in the first class of inductees of the Kossuth County Raceway Hall of Fame. I will also try to attach some pictures.

Leo Christensen was a character who’s racing career spanned 22 years, from 1948 until 1970. By all accounts, Christensen was a tremendously talented race car driver, mechanic and racing innovator. He was famous for three things…his trademark cigar, the famous 8-ball race car he drove and being someone that everyone looked up to. To many, Christensen was larger than life.
    Like most racers, Christensen concerned himself with how to make the car faster and where the next race was…not keeping detailed records. However, some of the highlights of his storied racing career include:
    • His first race car was a 34 Ford Coupe – that cost $64 to build.
    • In 1962 he was Kossuth Speedway Sportsman of the Year
    • In 1963 he won the first five features of the year in Algona and finished second in the points.
    • In 1963 he finished 91 total races, winning 36 times and recording 24 second place finishes.
    • One year he had six clean sweeps in a row.
    • During one event in Fort Dodge, he lost a front wheel on lap eight. He went on to win the feature event on three wheels
    Some of Christensen’s racing innovations and memorable moments include:
    • The bus that he and the crew fabricated to transport the famous 8-ball. The bus was almost as famous as the car. Almost.
    • Creating an identity of his race car that is still remembered today. The 8-ball.

I was three years old when Grandpa quit racing. I remember sitting in the "last" 8-Ball when I was four or five years old. I was told once that he sold that car to Arvin Sidles of Emmetsburg, IA who then sold it to a man in Spencer, IA. I was also told it was never raced again, it was still sitting in a machine shed. If anyone knows the location of one of Leo's old *-Ball cars, i would love to see it.
    Sorry this is long winded. As you can tell , I am proud of my Grandpa. He was my hero. Leo passed in 1995.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Wall Fan12 likes this.
  30. rayderluvr

rayderluvr

I should add to the above post about Leo Christensen; Leo was from West Bend Iowa, and raced in Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota. His home track was (is) located in Algona Iowa at the Kossuth County Fairgrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.