Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kt

kt

Maynard ran nothing but Fords from 1958-1972. The issue wasn't so much the availability of parts but keeping up with the valve train. Too much time was being spent under the hood and losing valuable practice time. The first Chevrolet debuted at Oswego in the summer of 1973......................

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

It is what it is. The Wood Bros ran Ford power in modifieds with success. There were some trickle down Holman- Moody 427's running in the late `60's early `70's. Gerald Chamberlain was the only one I knew of that ran a 429 Ford combination, and he won alot with that beast. At my home track (Spencer Speedway) the first small blocks to appear in the midst of the ubitquious bbc were a couple 351C Fords. Forrest Huff is one that come to mind.

I think Troyer ran bbc's because it was easier to get the good stuff in that era when Ford dropped off the racing map. They (Ford) went from the co- rulers of NASCAR and very stout in many other forms of competition during the `60's Total Performance era to almost nothing in the dark `70's. I worked for my dad at Fred Walker Ford and did some moonlighting at Nagle Ford and some other Ford dealers around town. As a kid I could'nt wrap my head around how much I thought it was negative advertising/ publicity to be running Chevy powered Fords when you are sponsored by, and based right inside a Ford dealership. My young mind processed that situation as, even they don't have enough faith to run actual Ford products just the sheetmetal to fool people into thinking it had some Ford content under the skin. I thought stuff like that would just reinforce the idea that maybe the other guys have the "better idea" To me it was preposterous.

Let's face it I understand the small and big block Chevs have owned short track racing since the Flathead era. I get it. But! I looked at Troyer as a marquis team and thought geez we must really suck if even they succumbed to the brand x revolution. In those days the 427 Chevrolet was the engine of choice. Those were a special hi perf version. It just so happens that Ford was cranking 429's off the assembly line by the thousands too. Granted the CJ versions were relatively scarce but I doubt the CJ parts were even necessary. Even if the CJ stuff was needed to be competitive there was enough around (even new from Ford) to supply one team with enough spares for a few years. Further there was a great version of the 429 called the PI (Police Interceptor) which used the CJ bottom end and it had heads with tighter combustion chambers bigger valves and the standard port sizes. These were found in Ford police cars from about `71- `74. No doubt complete engines could be had by an organization as well connected as Nagle Ford. In addition hi- perf 429- 460's have been available from Ford's marine division till just a few years ago. So by all this I mean if someone really wanted to the good stuff it could have been gotten. The next question is would the 429 even be a good short track engine? I can only draw on the record of the only guy I knew of that ran one, Gerald Chamberlain. While I'm not a modified sportsman statistician or historian I do know that the combination of Gerald Chamberlain and the 429 Ford was very stout. I'm pretty sure he won 3 annual championships and his winning percentage was second to none at his peak. Apparently his team felt the big Fords had the goods and used them sucessfully.

3. weathrmn

weathrmn

I don't recall the exact years, in the early 70's, Joe Bullock's 76 driven by Chamberlain and wrenched by Gus Frear were 427 hi risers. Gerald had many wins at Reading and Flemington with that combination.

When Gerald drove the Deasy 707, for a period of time, Deasy had the 427 cammer in it. When talking to Gerald about the 707 and cammer, Gerry's words were, that was too much engine for a 1/2 mile track.

Stan Ploski drove the 707 and cammer combo to many Flemington and East Windsor feature wins.

I had a chance to buy that engine many years ago, stupid me.

5. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Jim Shampine had pretty good luck with Fords for quite awhile. Dick Trickle dominated his similar form of racing in the mid- west with Fords waaay past the point when Ford officially got out of racing. Red Farmer, the Elliots and probably a few others did real well through the dark `70's in the south. For some reason I always fancied Troyer/Nagle as the beacon of hope in my part of the country, but after they dropped the 427 Fords in the `60's they never went back as far as I know. I wonder which poor bastard from Nagle Ford had to jump in the truck and drive over to Hosleton or Taylor Chevrolet to get speed parts for their Mustangs and Pintos.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

7. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I'm pretty sure they went to Hallman's...the parts inventory they had back then was mind-boggling!

8. Moselli

Moselli

KT,

I recall the first time that I saw the Big Block Chevy in your dad's car. I believe it was 1973 at Shangri La Speedway in Owego, NY for one of the 100 lap races that he used to frequent (and win).

I couldn't help but notice that the motor was painted Ford Blue, but the big valve covers told that it was unmistakably a Chevy Big Block...We knew that when the Nagle Ford was a Chevy, the day's of Ford motors for asphalt modifieds was over.

Al McClure, a local Ford dealer from Troy, Pennsylvania and car owner for a number of great modified "shoes" hung in there for a while longer with the Big Block Ford powered #15, but also finally gave up. He retired from racing. His comment was to the effect, "If I can't field a competitive Ford Powered modified, I don't want to race."

Regards,

Moselli

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  9. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I guess the good thing is that today there are competitive Ford combinations. I don't know the names of the drivers and I'm not familiar with modified racing much anymore but I have heard of some big wins and championships with Ford powered cars. I'm guessing these are NASCAR 351 based engines and not the FR9. I always thought the 351C based engine could have done well in the transition from big to small blocks. Bud Moore actually proved it when he put a 351C in his `72 Torino for stock car racing. Shame on Ford for letting all that potential wither on the vine. I swear Ford is usually their own worst enemy.......

10. ryder99

ryder99
    from nj

UOTE=The Bullfather;6366982][​IMG]
    54 eddie bohn- 28 jamie tomaino 1982 turkey derby ----------------------------
    [​IMG]
    I had a buddy hand me a trophy his pops won at Freeport from the 50's or 60's, man it was heavy, today there are all plastic.
    [​IMG]
    love the scallops. Red Farmer in there too.[/QUOTE]

11. Todd Szedegy

12. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

This thing is fantastic! Any chance of persuading you to do a build log? On the front suspension, what is the purpose of the tube between lower arm and the steering link?

Lenny

Attached Files:

14. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I think you mean the rear tube on the lower arm?

I posted a few pics of the car in this thread a while ago. As far as a build log, this is being built by my friend. I only get to see the car when I get a chance to visit him or if he shoots some pics.

15. weathrmn

weathrmn

Chamberlain's 76 car were very simple, their own design. The front independent suspension was neat, no store bought parts. Gus had the combination for the 427. Gus had a lot of people scratching their heads,( and me being on another modified team ) when he used only a coil and a dual point distributor and everyone else was using magnetos.

16. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

Third Dodge Brother

Opp illulsion its a stud that sticks out from lower control arm to hook up the sway bar.( anti roll bar)

Hope that Helps

Mike

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

This gives me a chubby.

Attached Files:

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Bullfather, The X-100 I think is Frankie Maniforte at Plainville Stadium. The $ of course Eddie Flemke, not sure which track but if you look on the other side of the $ you see the right rear quarter panel of probably my car either the 66 or 4x. Denny Z

20. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I'm thinking that may be Old Bridge NJ. Denny Z

21. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

Caption on another site said that that photo was from "Old Bridge 1961".

(Btw, I have tried another means of contacting TO for RP anniversary program.)

22. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Bullfather (or anyone who knows)
    That #66 coupe in post 9470 looks like a recent resto. Is (was) that an original car that's been restored, a nice knock-off, something else? It looks very cool!

23. davemurdough

davemurdough
    from marlow nh

the driver and the owner are the same . his name is Kenneth J Bamford, and he is from Coventry. RI

24. davemurdough

davemurdough
    from marlow nh

and the picture was S.T.A.R meet ,2010 ,white mountain speedway

25. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Looks like a coupe body on a contemporary chassis.

26. 4everblue

4everblue

Speaking of Old Bridge, the photo of the 15 ( Richie Massing ) and the 2 (Sal Mauro?) looks like Old Bridge....both of those were really nicely finished cars. The 16 (Johnny Gouevia ) looks to be Old Bridge too. This was another nice looking car with a unique red, cream and white paint scheme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.