Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

LONG SLAND, NY .... Former modified stock car owner & driver Roy Smith (Roy Namiotka) of Jamesport, NY passed away yesterday, after a battle with cancer.

Roy was a regular competitor on the Riverhead (NY) Raceway asphalt oval, until mid season 1966 (in the pre window net era) when his car (numbered "IV") rolled, pinning his left hand.

With that hand severely disabled, many thought his racing career was over. However he went on to build a new car, a coupe that was also numbered "IV" and continued his driving career for a number of years on the 1/2 mile dirt Orange County Fairgrounds Speedway oval, in Middletown, NY.

The wake / viewing will be held at the

De Friest - Grattan Funeral Home
    13805 Main Road (Route 25)
    Mattituck, NY 11952
    (631) 298-4016

Visiting hours will be tomorrow (Tuesday, September 28th) 2 to 4 PM and 7 to 9 PM.

On Wednesday (September 29th) services will be held first at the funeral home at 10 AM, then at the grave side at 11 AM , at the Jamesport (NY) Cemetery, which is located at Main Road (Route 25) and Manor Lane in Jamesport, NY.

Cards and notes of condolence can be sent to .... The Namiotka Family, P.O. Box 87, Jamesport, NY 11947

Condolences can also be left for the family on the funeral home's Web Site at .... http://www.defriestgrattan.com/condolences.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (SEE BELOW) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE:-

Many of today's racers & fans know one of his four daughters, Peggy Smith (Peggy Namiotka) who recently retired from modified competition at Riverhead.

Peggy is also a former Grand Am late model champion at Riverhead, late model Rookie of The Year at the Freeport (NY) Stadium Speedway.

Peggy became one of the "Long Island Bad Guys" when she campaigned a Pete Petraitis owned / Artie King wrenched TQ with the American Three Quarter Midget Racing association (ATQMRA).

She was also honored to wear the driving uniform of the first woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500 .. Janet Guthrie .. for a major portion of her career.

2. jayvincent

jayvincent

I'll keep looking for more, but I think he's in post #6720, too. Small world :cool:

3. harp

harp

just found this thread, got to page four and saw some familiar cars. i was track photographer at McCarty speedway, Merrick auto racing, dodge city ks. from 1973-1979. i've still got a box of photos somewhere! in the pits every sat. nite during the season.338 pages,,,wow, its gonna take forever to go through!!!
    harp

4. Willie41

Willie41

oops I meant thread page 248. Sorry about that

5. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

The Next Old Timers event I have on my calendar is ...

THE OLD BRIDGE (NJ) STADIUM SPEEDWAY REUNION at the Thomas Warne Museum .. 4216 County Route 516 (Old Bridge Matawan Road) .. on October 9th & 10th .. 10 AM to 4 PM.

Do you remember the ARDC midgets, URC sprint cars, the modified & sportsman stock cars, the Old Bridge Drags? Well stop by and re-live the THRILLS and FAST CARS from yesteryear!!

Films, Racing Historians, Dioramas and Memorabilia Collections all celebrating "THE FASTEST TRACK IN THE EAST"!!!
    Food & Fun!!!

$5.00 for adults ..... $3.00 for children under 12

For more information ..
    1-732-566-2108 or http://www.thomas-warne-museum.com

The Thomas Warne Museum is the home of the Madison Township Historical Society, serving Old Bridge Township, NJ

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ken, I was planning on going but I can't...next year I hope. Turns out there is a reunion in my back yard I had promised to go to (Plainville) the same day. Then in the afternoon I have to drive to Seekonk for the races Saturday and Sunday. Please say Hi for me to all the folks I would have met there, tell em I'll be there next year. I am going to the thing Ken Brenn is planning in November no previous commitments there. Denny Z

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I can't go to the Old Bridge (NJ) Reunion either, my wife has something on the agenda .. but I figured I'd let others know about it.

Hmmm!!! Joe Tinti's Plainville Stadium. Now he was a character!!!

Did they get your Quad 4 midget ride back together for Whip City?
    If so, how was the new set up?

Denny, would you be kind enough to either eMail me or Private Message me (PM) with the details of what ever Ken Brenn is planning in November? ..... THANKS!!!

Also in November is the 25th ANNUAL Stan Lobitz shindig at his catering hall in Hazleton, PA. I've heard that MANY famous folks from all over the country are planning to attend. It's almost a MUST DO event, especially for (but not only) open cockpit people. It's FREE to all. Food, etc. all day long, plus a sit down dinner in the evening too. Being the 25th Annual, I hear that it will be VERY SPECIAL!!! ... I'll post more about it, once the Old Bridge Reunion is behind us.

Meanwhile, ENJOY the Plainville (CT) Stadium reunion.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  8. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Jay,

Thanks for the original photos from Islip. Charlie Siebert had some nice clean rides. I remember him having Vinyl Village on the car as a sponsor along with Artie Tappan.

JBull

9. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Art Tappan and Charlie Seibert were closely associated early on. Artie first race car was Charlies Figure 8 car (a real clean Ford Crown Victoria) and from the eights Artie went on to be one of the few figure 8 to move to the modifieds and he had by far the most success.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  10. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some more Tom Baldwin and LI mods

[​IMG]

I know there was some discussion about this one back on the thread to where it actually occurred. The fire in Baldwin's car was at Riverhead. That is Bobby Lane #6 getting into the back of him and Jim Hendfrickson in the X-3 going by.

[​IMG]

The Tyle Brothers Cliff #21 sideways, the #08 of Jim Tyler
    Fred Sipala in the X91 vega and Tom Baldwin in the #7. I believe the X91 vega was actually built by Billy Auer who built the two #16 Black Raven Pintos that Teddy Wesnofske drove to the 1974 Islip Track Title

[​IMG]

At Islip not sure of the photographer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ken, Yup Quad4 is back together and better than ever. Still haven't won yet but I'm gaining. Pretty sure I'm going to Stan Lobitz's gig. Denny Z

12. Post those pics please!

13. just found this thread, got to page four and saw some familiar cars. i was track photographer at McCarty speedway, Merrick auto racing, dodge city ks. from 1973-1979. i've still got a box of photos somewhere! in the pits every sat. nite during the season.338 pages,,,wow, its gonna take forever to go through!!!
    harp

Worth every minute of your time!!

14. canman

canman

I know there was some discussion about this one back on the thread to where it actually occurred. The fire in Baldwin's car was at Riverhead. That is Bobby Lane #6 getting into the back of him and Jim Hendfrickson in the X-3 going by.

[​IMG]
    That's correct JBull, I remember the night. I also remember Bobby Lane's crew having that same car ready the next week with the paint still burned off and Bob O'Rourk giving them some grief about the appearence. Tom Baldwin was out too but he had more than one car it may or may not have been that one. PS Now that I think about it, it might have been the next day at Islip that they were out?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  15. STRANGERODZ

STRANGERODZ
    from WASHINGTON

You guys got great pic and bring back alot of memerys for me. I live up state NY and would go to Owego every week with my dad. Now they are back raceing a Chumg, and the New Sagerlaw II. Can wait to go vist and go to the track Racing not the same in Washington..

16. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Before Mr Excitement, Jimmy Spencer, showed up on the modified scene we had Jungle John Blewitt Jr. from NJ....

an Ace Lane photo of John in the former Charlie Jarzombek vega....

[​IMG]

a Bruce Barmore photo of John racing Fred Harbach in the X90 at Freeport

[​IMG]

photographer unknown (in the pits at Wall Stadium?)

[​IMG]

another Ace Lane photo

[​IMG]

photographer unknown

[​IMG]

17. JBull

JBull
    from NY

John Blewitt Jr. at speed in a Troyer Built Pinto

[​IMG]

battling Fred Harbach at Riverhead

[​IMG]

at the Turkey Derby at Wall

[​IMG]

In a pack also at Wall, I believe. Jim Hendrickson leading the way in the X3 followed by Geoff Bodine in the Armstrong #1, Richie Evans in the #61, Tom McCann in the #16, John in the #76 (not sure who is in the other #1)

[​IMG]

At Islip battling Billy Parks in the #20 (a B7G Wurthemann photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Holland battling Billy Colton in the #22, George Kent in the #26 and Tommy Druar in the #37

[​IMG]

18. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Here's a few shots of the finished up rear sheetmetal. Getting tired of tired of this kind of work, so it's good it's done and I can go on to some other stuff.

Attached Files:

19. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Looks great!

20. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Thanks, Rich! I've been to your website, so coming from you, that means a lot. Love that retro #14 Gremlin. What vintage is that chassis?

21. carlalique

carlalique
    from seneca, sc

Bill
    Shamrock 3X sheetmetal work looks great but agree with you that it gets old and tedious......especially on a 36 chevy! To replace all the wood. fenderwells, floorpans, tunnel, rockers, firewall front and back, doors etc I spent well over 200 hours on my 36'. Terry

22. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Terry,

Thanks....right you are about those old Chevys w/wood in them. Better to take it all out & replace w/steel, IMHO. And I loosely kept track of hours spent once on my 1st street rod project (38 Chevy coupe). It scared the hell out of me, so I stopped doing that once and for all!

Bill

23. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I seem to remember it's an early 90's Troyer. Keep up the fantastic work!

24. JBull

JBull
    from NY

I'll keep posting the old ones while you guys keep building the new old ones.....

some leftover shots of John Blewett....I loved this gremlin...Troyer Built I believe...battling with Kenny Bouchard in the Boehler #3 and George Kent in the #26 at Stafford

[​IMG]

Blewett and Tony Siscone #14 at Wall

[​IMG]

a family photo

[​IMG]

At Thompson I believe with George Kent #26 and Richie Evans #61

[​IMG]

A match race at Thompson between John Blewett and Richie Evans

[​IMG]

Blewett and Evans again this time at Islip, not sure of the photographer

[​IMG]

25. When I talked to the owner/driver at Darlington he told me it was a Troyer of that era. He also said it was one of only a few built that were a couple of inches wider than Troyer's normal car.

26. modifiedjunkie

modifiedjunkie
    from Florida

These are some pictures of the modified I drove at Westboro Speedway in the mid-seventies to 1980. This was a great 1/4 mile high banked track, 32 degrees in corners and about 15 degrees on straights. Track was built originally for midgets. You could go 2 and 3 wide. Great speedway, now a shopping mall!!

Attached Files:

27. Terry1

Terry1

Luckily, I had a chance to go to Westboro before they leveled it. I sat in the 1st and 2nd turn bleachers. Every time the pack rumbled by, I thought the bleachers were going to collapse.

28. modifiedjunkie

modifiedjunkie
    from Florida

Hi, One nite I was racing in the modified feature when Mario Fats Caruso tangled with another car and went right thru the turn one fence which was wood planks!! The track crew ran around to the back stretch and took some planks off the bleachers and nailed them up on on the hole Mario made! We finished the race just before the midnight curfew!

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I remember cars flying when they hooked the culvert on the inside of the track at Westboro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.