Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some things never change :D:D:D

(Let it be know that I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Richard Oakley, AKA DHead.)

2. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

3. Terry1

Terry1

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. canman

canman

I know old old guy's like me say " it ain't like it use to be" all the time. But fact is "It Ain't" Before sign in we would walk around and look at each others cars on the trailer to see how someone else did something. Now even the trailers are enclosed and they(the cars) are all the same for the most part. I miss those days.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Hello, all ... New to this site, but loving this thread.

I'd love to hear any info anyone out there has on two of the pavement stars from the 1960s and '70s at Utica-Rome Speedway: Dick Fowler and Gene Mangino. What became of them? Where are they now? Anybody stay in contact with them?

Thanks!

6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Are you the famous Bones from Indy? Denny Z

7. Bones Bourcier??? Is that the famous Bones your talking about Denny?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Yes it is, Denny ... I'm the very same guy who showed up at the last New England Auto Racing Hall of Fame dinner with that old "Win with Zim" button ...

Today turned out to be a pretty good day. Saw lots of great old photos on this thread, AND got to reconnect with a genuine Eastern Bandit and Indy 500 Rookie of the Year, the one and only Denis Zimmerman.

For of those of you who know Denny only through his 1971 Indy laurels, he's a genuine hero in New England, my original stomping grounds. On top of that, he's a wonderful guy. He's also modest enough that he'll probably want to smack me for bragging on him!

9. Welcome to our humble abode away from the real world back to a better time and place filled with memories that we refuse to erase.

To a freer time where the freedom to pursuit our happiness was a lot easier then it is today. Thanks for the memories to the old shoes.

10. dadoftriforce

dadoftriforce
    from Germ any

wow...never seen theses

11. Crudbro

Crudbro

This type of car was called a modified in the tri-state area of Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia back in the late 50's and early 60's. The driver of this machine, Dean Knittel of Portsmouth, Ohio won 10 track championships and 120 features at Atomic (now KC Raceway) Speedway (Ohio) during that era. This photo was taken by Tony Martin at the Portsmouth Speedway (Ohio) around 1960.

Attached Files:

12. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

what is the brown and white #73 in post 6077? Was it related to the dirt car that Gary Balough used to run and won the eastern states? ferriolla brothers or some spelling

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Welcome aboard, Bones.

14. Terry1

Terry1

15. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Hey Bones! Loooooong time no see.

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Bullfather, Yup my friend Bones Bourcier.

Hey Bones welcome aboard this is a great site. Brings back lots of memories for me. I also look in on the other two HAMB sites (Sprint Cars & Midgets).

No one seems to use their real names (sept me) so I have fun trying to figure out who's who. A few of the folks I actually raced with the rest are their sons and or grandsons. Wow that makes me sound old. Truth is I think I have a 40 year old brain in a 71 year old body.

Skip Matczak told me about this site and it's one of the first places I go whenever I fire up the laptop.

Denny Z

17. Broncobrett

Broncobrett

Hi Guys, really enjoying this thread. Some of these pics remind of a Modified my Dad bought in the early 80's in Syracuse at the big swap meet. I think it was Vega bodied with real nice red and white paint and had a nice mural on the trunk of the car and the saying "We built ours, who built yours ?". Supposedly the car had sat on the pole at Pocono. We cut it up and turned it into a very competitive full bodied Pro Stock. Wish I could remember more details of that car , thought maybe it would ring a bell with someone here.

Brett Alexander

18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ace Lane Jr. I'm almost afraid to ask but is your Dad still around? Hope he is.....tell him I said Hi. I'm sure there were other places but mostly I remember him at Old Bridge...a great guy. Denny Z

19. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Come on Denny...Let's see some of the Eastern Bandit pictures you must have in your collection. We all would Love to see them. Thanks RD

20. pw7

pw7

any photos of richie evans from freeport ?

21. Hogans Goat

Hogans Goat

Denny, sadly, Ace has been gone for many years. Ace jr. recently suffered major medical issues, but bounced from the hospital to the race track. He's one tough guy and follows in his Dad"s footsteps.

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Sorry to hear about Ace Sr but if I'm lucky maybe someday I will get to meet Ace Jr. Denny Z

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I don't know how to post pictures. Maybe I can get my wife to show me how, so stand by, it may be a while. Denny Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.