Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry1

Terry1

That Troyer Bandit was one the baddest looking cars ever. Bad as in good.

2. Old School Brush

Old School Brush

Maynard Troyer brought the black #17 to Martinsville, Va one fall if I remember correctly with the low, long nose. They let him run it and IIRC he ran 2nd. The radiators layed just about flat with fans on top of them under the tin and were operated by solenoids/relays/ temp sending units off the throttle and brakes. Wide open under acceleration the fans were off and when the throttle was let off/brakes applied or if the temp went up, the fans came on and also may have helped pull the nose down, otherwise the radiators were cooled by air flowing over them/through them on the straights at speed and some in the corners. For some reason that day, the headers had to be removed and the right side single tube nerf bar was taken off by one little guy on the crew, the left side multiple tube nerf bar had to be manhandled by two big guys, as it must have been full of lead. I watched the whole thing because our pit space was about 2 spaces away near the entrance to the backstretch pit road.

3. Dr. John

Dr. John

Gotta send this over the 300-page point...

All pics taken from 1968 Lancaster (NY) Speedway programs -- Photos by Gordon Reinig.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. Dr. John

Dr. John

The Barbour Auto Sales No. 5 coupe of Ted Renshaw was taken in the '60s at Merrittville (Ontario) Speedway.

5. JBull

JBull
    from NY

A few shots of the Harbachs: Fred and son Alan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Fred Smith photo of Alan Harbach

[​IMG]

6. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Thanks to John 56 for starting the thread!

7. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Closing in on 6000 posts!!!

8. SGP

SGP

Wow what a great thread! Just to say thanks to all the owners, drivers, crew, members & photogs who have taken the time to share their pics & info. Not only is this the best thread I've seen for a snapshot on history it has some great reference shots into how the cars were built then as well. It is much appreciated
    Take a bow you folks are the best steve pellerin

9. OK, I can't take it anymore, someone, Richie, Ken Shou, anyone, give me the lowdown on Ferrantti's X3 with Jimmy and the full hood! That car is gorgeous! Jimmy junior and I had the last X3 stored in the old Butler building we rented for our hot rods and assorted collector cars until Jimmy moved down to Fla and Marty Himes got it. The photo is #5974 and i don't know where Pete stole it. LOL.

10. :):eek::):D:rolleyes:

11. Wise guy, just because your bigger then me and can walk faster.......doesn't mean you can outsmart me kid.

just enlarged the photo and the driver looks a little on the small side for Jimmy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  12. This is post 6,000!!!!!!!!!!! MILESTONES!

13. JBull

JBull
    from NY

OK, I can't take it anymore, someone, Richie, Ken Shou, anyone, give me the lowdown on Ferrantti's X3 with Jimmy and the full hood! That car is gorgeous! Jimmy junior and I had the last X3 stored in the old Butler building we rented for our hot rods and assorted collector cars until Jimmy moved down to Fla and Marty Himes got it. The photo is #5974 and i don't know where Pete stole it. LOL.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Emil
    DEAD MAN WALKING
    [/B]http://godcountryusa.spruz.com/

I'm not sure if you guys are just clowning around with one another or not...

But that is the Chargin' One, Charlie Jarzombek in the X3 at Wall Stadium. He drove that car a couple of times. I believe it was in the early 80's in transition between his own cars and the Wilsberg ride. I do not believe Jim Hendrickson ever drove this car. It was a real nice car with a lot of chrome on it. I believe it may have been a Raceworks car built by Eddie Flemke. I believe Tony Ferrante Jr. eventually took over the driving in this car. I have this picture in my Jarzombek collection. I may have another shot or two of Charlie in the car at home in the scrapbook.

JBull
    <!-- / sig -->

14. JBull

JBull
    from NY

This is another shot I had of Charlie in the car....

[​IMG]

15. Now that you mention it, it does look like CJ behind the wheel. I don't recall this car at all or CJ driving it. I had stopped going to the track when the mag started rolling in 1989 and I was away almost every weekend.

Boy, she sure looks sweet there. Oh, and thanks for the correct spelling on Ferrante. :)

16. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

I ran across this over at Lebanon Valley Classics
    [​IMG]

It's Vince Quenneville in the Austin Dickerman owned 357. It was built and owned by Norm Scarborough ("Fat Rabbit") as the 38 with Vice as the driver.
    Dubbed the "Banana Wagon", it must be one of the ugliest cars in history
    The photo was probably 1970 or '71 by John Grady

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

18. PHOTOS FROM MY WEBSITE: by Christopher Kirmish this weekends 1st test session.
    Testing done by Jimmy Blewett.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.