Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George M.

George M.

The Woodchopper on Daytona Beach

[​IMG]

2. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Johnnyfast, I saw that posted here earlier. It does show how the upper tubes curl downwards at the shockmount and nerf-bar mount. Also shows the torsionbars quite well. Doesn't show much for the way the lower tubes (framerails) meet up with the curled-downwards upper bars or where the rear suspension attaches to the axle though. The wheels and brakes take priority in the illustration and overshadow the axle and suspension attachment point details.

3. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

More from the great Jim Shampine, designer, builder, and driver. Inovator of the super modifieds that we see today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. BKHRS

BKHRS

Last night there was a Vintage race at All American Speedway in Roseville, CA. There was one East Coast Modified and it was grouped with the super modifieds. The two best repaired were the 3 piloted to fame by Al Pombo and another the 6 which had been driven by Pombo at one time. The current driver of the 3 won the race, the driver of the 6 had been running the bottom all weekend (the designated line for the slow). He was gridded on the outside of the 92. It finally cooled just before the feature. Stuff happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYE_cdzrvKg

Barry

5. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

Nice car!
    [​IMG]

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Typically they would have used a live axle q/c. For that time period, the torsion arm would attach to the lower mount of a "birdcage" which held the axle brgs./caliper/ radius rod mounts. This was typical of about any open wheel car of the time, be it Edmunds, Nance, CAE etc.

Attached Files:

7. car toon

car toon

Dr. John, I love that injected #11! Thanks for posting that and for all your other contributions.....

8. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Thank you very much Rootie! The pic of the bare frame sure does look to be an Edmunds frame to me; exactly what I was looking for! Thanx again for posting the pic, it's a big help.

9. George M.

George M.

Frank "Mississippi" Curtis
    (from 3 Wides Picture Vault)

[​IMG]

10. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

11. BKHRS

BKHRS

Questions for you old school guys. I finally got a chance to look over the damage to the 92 car. The right side steering arm is bent. Is it repairable? Would heating it to orange reshaping it and letting it air cool be strong enough to race with? Any other suggestions? I'd rather repair it than replace it as long as it would be safe.

Thanks, Barry

Attached Files:

12. Back in the day. steering arms were routinely bent to clear dropped axles. The arms on my car were done that way. The procedure was just as you described. Whether it would be strong enough for big tires and hot laps, you need to talk to some of the engineers on the HAMB.

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Been there done that. Heating and straightening the steering arm should pose no problem. Just do not over heat the metal. Before you attempt to heat the part and bend it back to its original shape check the opposite side for its corresponding angle or compare it to an original Ford spindle to determine the ackerman setting used on your car. Made many a web gusset to prevent this from happening, you might want to think about adding one too.

14. George M.

George M.

Hey, Pete! Here's an oldie of a friend of ours!

[​IMG]

15. hahhahaha he looks like he matches his #..................12 lol

16. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Yeah, and he has the same hair do! :D Oh wait, that's his helmet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  17. We'd have it up and running again so we could qualify in the consi!!!!!!!

Yes, heat it, bend it and let it air cool.

We used to put a gusset on those arms so they wouldn't bend.

AND.................. Be sure to check the king pin. Usually they will bend below the axle where the thrust bearing is. That'll put the steering in a bind. They are difficult to remove when bent. You may have to torch through the pin below the axle after you blow the thrust bearing out of the way. Then pound the pin down, cut it again and maybe again to get the spindle off.

It's a lot of work, but otherwise you risk ruining the axle.

We used to replace that thrust bearing with a solid piece of round stock with a hole for the king pin to pass through. That supported the king pin and helped prevent it bending in that weak area. Ya' don't need the bearing when racing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  18. George M.

George M.

Ed Garvin
    [​IMG]

Ed Flemke
    [​IMG]

Stan Disbrow
    [​IMG]

Ray Brown
    [​IMG]

19. Old School Brush

Old School Brush

Hello retroridesbyrich, yea it's me and I just introduced myself in the Introduction forum. Thanks for sending me a link to this site. This site is practically identical to another site I visit, so I already feel at home.
    I have a extensive album and additional pictures of vintage '70's & '80's Southern and Northern Modifieds that I have lettered or taken pictures of that I plan to share. Can't wait!

20. neal78

neal78

Yvan: You probably know about CATAMOUNTSTADIUM.COM. But the owner--Bill posted that picture you did about that old racer that is being restored. It raced at THE PINE BOWL in N.Y. in it's day...thanks for all those great pics of REBEL SPEEDWAY too!! Neal

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Hi Harold, welcome aboard! You must have shaved since the picture in your avatar was taken! :D

Harold, for those of you that don't know him; is an expert sign painter and pinstriper, who's lettered more than a few Modifieds in his day. He does all the striping and lettering for me. He's a great guy, so Emil, go easy on him, despite the fact he's my friend.:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  22. Well Harold, if you are a friend if Rich's, you don't stand a chance with me. LOL
    Welcome aboard. I'm just a lurker now, looking forward to seeing your offerings to the Mod Gods.

23. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

What? You ran out of colorful anecdotes?:D

24. Old School Brush

Old School Brush

Sorry guys, but...........:rolleyes:
    A storm last night, even with computer off and unplugged caused my computer to crash. No hardware damage, just something in the software. Had to have Dell wipe out Windows XP and reinstall as if I just bought the machine today. Finally getting some of this stuff back and loaded.
    My loose misc. modified pics are at a vinyl sign shop of a guy who makes model car stuff and model decals and he is scanning/watermarking them to use to make decals for vintage models of the old Southern and Northern Modifieds from my pics. He is going to hook me up with his photo storage site to be able to copy and store/post these pictures when he finishes up, then I'll work on the pics in my album.
    I'll be checking in from time to time, so you won't think I've forgot about ya'll.

25. George M.

George M.

"Steady" Eddie Flemke

[​IMG]

26. Yeah, we've heard THAT story before. Typical bench racing session.

27. mike151

mike151
    from conn.

the # 47 in this post is driven by BIG EVIE PERICE. at Danbury

28. George M.

George M.

Gary Winters

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

29. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Sonney Seamon, Lancaster,1972, photo by me.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.