Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 x W-1 carb'd custom alluminum sbc intake build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '52 F-3, Nov 25, 2013.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

So I've been thinking about this for awhile, just have too many projects going to start. But my friend/great Tig welder has some time now.....

So the plan is to build a intake with 2 parallel "logs", with 3 one barrel Carter W-1 carburetor on each side. I'm going to remove the choke and idle circuits from front and rear carbs and make some progressive linkage... bla bla bla....

some pics to start thread; I used a sawsall and kerosene and patience to cut apart...
    [​IMG]

some cool 6063 and 6061 aluminum tubing, do you think the cast intake will weld to this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

meant to add a pictures of carbs also I have 7, but not enough to make 6 good ones yet. these were used on mostly chevy in the late 40's 50's I think, the seem to have design issues, but I think I'll be able to get'em tuned and working.

any ideas. good or bad welcome.....

[​IMG]

3. jdownunder

jdownunder

search for mopar performance log manifold
    there is a formula you will have to work from
    the log diameter has to be correct for your engine size
    i sourced mine from an old bullbar.
    it will idle like shit and ya have to vaccume tune each carb
    what those carb's off? will be kickass
    justin

4. carbking

carbking

The one on the left is a 684s.

Parts are made from either unobtainium or verypricium depending on your point of view.

This link may help:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/CarterChevroletW1.htm

Design issues basically disappeared after the 1936 models, but the 1939-40, and 1941-48 are the most desirable.

Jon.

5. jdownunder

jdownunder

ok there off old chevs

6. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

thanks for the link, I've used different carbs in the past and just thought these look great and i'd like to use something different

"unobtainium" that's funny..... I noticed the rebuild kits are $42. I'm sure i'll have a collection of them by the time i'm done.

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Cool project I built an intake for a bbc doing something very similar. Do you have an idea what the cfm of the carbs are?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. COOP

COOP

A couple of years ago I was given an old T R 1 tunnel ram intake. It set around for quite a while when I was trying to find a couple of cheap Holly's to put on it. I was cleaning it up one day and discovered that if I unbolted the top off this thing I could make a flat top to put on it with almost any carb configuration. I used 6 old '94 s, ran compound linkage, huge fuel block, half a dozen air cleaners, and a lot of hope. It set around for a few months till someone saw it and couldn't live without it. He bought it, left the state, and never heard anything more about it. Can't say one way or another, but it sure looked cool.

9. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

got some time on the band saw and drill press today.

first 2 are the carb mounting bases, made from 1/2. threaded for studs to mount carbs.
    trick to start your tap straight, use drill press to hold it.

[​IMG]

screwed to wood to hold while welding

[​IMG]
    2nd 2 are the "logs" I used different size hole saws to make a step for the vertical tubes to fit in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also cut up the oval tubing and welding into pairs.... forgot to take pics

10. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

mounted carbs to wood to get better idea/measurements for exact location on intake manifold. thinking about offsetting left/right sides about 1"
    it's gonna be pretty tight around distributor, these carbs seem to have got bigger after mounting.

[​IMG]

11. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

That's coming together nicely, can't wait to see your end results! Those are cool looking carbs too! :)

12. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

got the intake runners cut/welded into pairs, still need to do final cuts to get 3 or 4 degree angle and shorten front pairs to allow "logs" and carb bases to be level to ground.

[​IMG]

cut out valley of intake (to allow more access to weld) plan to make a steel plate and bolt down. will be nice to be able to remove to inspect lifters/pushrods ext..... without draining anti-freeze, removing distributor and intake to gain access. we'll see how this work. could you imagine changing a camshaft and lifters without removing intake, just a thought

[​IMG]

13. Cool idea! Hope it works out good.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm watch'n this one :)

15. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

not much progress, bought friend some welding gas.... so he can do alittle more aluminum welding....

made the valley pan out of 1/8" steel, tapped/threaded intake. undecided if I'm going to make a gasket or seal with Ultra RTV.

[​IMG]

16. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Subscribed. Looks good so far. Curious about how that valley pan is going to work out for you.

17. khead47

khead47

I'm wondering if you will have "puddling" issues with the fluted logs? Sure will look cool though!

18. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I kind of am curious myself. I plan to do a lot of work on the inside once completed minus the end caps. I'm thinking about sanding the "ridges" down on the inside of logs, also might make end caps removable to be able to take look inside during the tuning process.

once carbs are on the valley pan might not even able to be removed, we'll see. also if room permits I might attach a oil fill tube to the pan (my valve covers don't have fill ports)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  19. Koz

Koz

Shot in the dark...... You putting this on the roadster?

Way cool project! I need to know how this runs. Keep us posted.

20. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

maybe, but I've got another chevy motor I've built (it's currently without at home)

spring time will tell but if nothing else it will be a temporary swap to that great running engine in roadster.

carb mounts are welded, making some Phenolic material 1/2" spacer to insulate carbs from heat.

[​IMG]

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Heat!?

22. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

they insulate the carbs by reducing the engine hear transfer, keeping carbs cooler allows for a denser fuel mixer, more power etc....
    and I'm hoping it will also help prevent some of the problems with the carter W-1 carbs, (warping gasket surfaces causing leaks, vapor lock type issues. these carbs have a huge chunk of cast steel for the body)

23. make the end caps out of lexan or plexi of sorts, then you can shine a light inside and watch it work

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Correct. Let me put it another way. Will the intake be that hot ?

25. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

Hmmm, I like this idea........ you really got me thinking about this

I guess not any hotter than other engines, I've just had good luck with these in the past and believe they are a good product.

[​IMG]

26. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

drilled a piece of angle iron to hold carb mounting flanges flat, spaced exactly and inline while welding to logs, will do similar when welding logs to intake base/runners.
    [​IMG]

27. shadams

shadams

Wow, I love this kind of stuff. I dont have the skill/education or imagination to pull off something like this, but it sure is bad ass to watch someone else do it....

28. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Thanks for letting us share your idea, very cool.

29. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

finished the 1/2" pnenolic spacers.....

[​IMG]