Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 to 12V Generator Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Airborne34, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Im thinking of attempting a 12V conversion on a 6V Flathead Generator. Ive done a search and its been a big help. Now I need to source the right parts. Prefer new. The one I have has been sitting for a long time and needs a complete rebuild.

1. Is this the rebuild "Kit" that I need? Or am I better off sending it to a shop to have converted. If so, what shop do you recommend.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/denni...-fullsize.html
    <!-- / message -->

2. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I would say send it to a shop. Mine charges 85 to rebuild a flathead generator to 12 volts. 45$ for the regulator. The best part is that when one or the other isnt working I just take it off and bring it to them and they fix it for free. I had two regulators fail and they were waranteed.

3. Check with Patrick's to get a set of 12V field coils and swap 'em into the 6V generator, nothin' to it. I've done a few '49-'53s. Works fine, puts out about 35amps. As long as you're not running a lot of electrics, you're good to go. I believe it was something like $60 for a set. They don't show on the site.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/

Patrick's Antique Cars and Trucks
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Here's contact info from his site:
    Contact Us

During business hours you can call 1-520-836-1117
    or fax us at 1-520-836-1104
    You may also contact us via email at [email protected]

4. the last set i bought was from Patricks worked perfect .