Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 speed t56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLACKNRED, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Any one have any useful info on the T56 Trans,

shifter locations, gear ratios etc etc.

I want to stick one behind a banger Ford.

cheers

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

there are different verisons with different gear ratios, shifter positions, and input shaft styles depending on if it is a factory unit or aftermarket. Best to do some google searching, lots of info out there. I normally use 1993-1997 LT1 T56 units but have no idea what would work with your engine.

3. 73RR

73RR

Put t-56, or different versions, in your browser and stand back. Loads of basic info out there.

The t56 is physically very large. Have you looked at a t-5 or even a borg-warner t-50?
    There is also a Toyota t50 which is completely different. How about a Ford Ranger tk series?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an Chevrolet LT1 unit with a LS1 input shaft, a Keisler shifter (in the inspection plate location), hooked to a McLeod adapter that makes the front look just like a GM pattern T5. You can use any adapter with that that will attach a T5 to your engine. Mine is behind an SBC, and in order to do this, it additionally required a longer pilot bushing. You might have to have one made for your application. It would be easy for any good machinist to do.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247020

5. andyo

andyo

there is a t56 that is made by "zf" this is the better trans the other is borg worner this is the weak trans. many t56 from many cars the t56 from a viper has 3 different shifter locations but is kinda geared for the top end rather than the dragstrip.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Why not use a Ford T-5 trans behind your banger . That way it will be easier to get parts to get everything lined up much easier . They are in all the modern Mustangs from 1985 and up . They should be very easy to find and they are a 5 speed with the overdrive . Would be really nice behind your Ford engine too .
    Just curious on why you are thinking about a GM trans ?
    Just a thought .

Retro Jim

7. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Awesome tranny! Good for 700hp/tq bone stock.

Whats this going into? Mine came from a newer Trans am.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, no. The six speed made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG is the ZF-6. The T56 is made by Tremec (Formerly known as Borg Warner).

T56 is a registered trademark of the Tremec Corporation.

ZF-6 is a registered trademark of ZF Friedrichshafen AG.

None of the rest of what you said is true. The T56 and the ZF-6 are incredibly strong.

9. The T56 is a gigantic transmission. Not a good fit for a car that would be running a 4-banger. The T-5 is a much better choice if you're wanting a modern OD manual transmission.

10. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I just put a t56 into a '72 Olds at work. They are BIG! much longer and taller than a T5. T56 going behind a banger is overkill.

11. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just saw that you are in Australia. I seem to recall that Toyota 5 speeds are the swap of choice there, much as the T5 is here.

12. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Thanks for the info, I have a Toyota 5 speed.

I understand the T56 is overkill from the viewpoint of horsepower, what I am really after is the 2 overdrives, preferably 0.8 and 0.6 or thereabouts.

I have a AA bellhousing and can do the modification myself, my main issue is getting the gear ratios and the shifter location.

I want to stick it behind a 33 B model with a Rilely overhead conversion.

cheers

13. HamD

HamD

I don't speak Rilely, Banger or a lot of things around here, but if there's a clutch disc for your overheaded Ford that matches the 10 spline Ford input, that might give you good options using the less-loved Ford input. Most everything else is Holden/Chrysler 26 spline including upgrades on the Ford units. If you get the right Ford mainshaft, you can pick & choose 5th & 6th separately; others carried a cluster 5-6 gear. US & AU parts differ a bit, but you should be able to get what you need one way or another. Do me a favour - if you ever run across that late model Ford T56 with the super rearwards shifter position on the tailhousing, get me pics & measurements. Whereabouts are you wanting to put the shifter? There's more than one Ford tail.

14. nofin

nofin
    from australia

15. As mentioned, the ZF6 is a whole different animal. It is also MAD expensive, has NO aftermarket support and is even bigger than the T56. Which of these things makes it a better choice???

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

How about a Laycock-De Normanville overdrive behind your W58 or whatever? It'd take some doing to get it to bolt up, but it'd be beautiful if you pull it off.

17. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

A .6 overdrive ratio will be too much for your Riley, or any A or B engine. A final drive ratio between 2.90 and 3.00 is about all they will happily pull. You want to cruise the engine at about 21 or 2200 rpm.

18. indyjps

indyjps

putting one behind a SBC now, pretty expensive, if a T5 will work for you it'll be much less cost.

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Surely that depends on the actual final drive ratio one uses? A highest gear ratio of 0.6:1 on a 5.00:1 final drive is the same as a direct top gear on a 3.00:1 final drive. The difference is that the former scenario will give much shorter lower gears, which might indeed be useful with an engine that doesn't really like to spin to 8000rpm.

20. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

The best answers in this thread are the ones that say don't put a T56 behind a banger. a t-5 is half the size and weight and will be way easier to make work.

21. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Blknred
    Here's what I did. This is behind a flathead, but I think would be great in a banger.
    This is a Ford 4 spd toploader using a Jeep T-176 case. Then a Gear Vendors OD is adapted to that. The shifter is as original as far as position
    The gear ratios are as follows:
    1st 2.78
    2nd 1.93
    3rd 1.39
    4th 1.0
    My rear axle is 4.11 - 1
    The Gear Vendors drops the 4.11 axle to 3.20.
    I think with some thinking and using some of the online calculators you could come up with something very workable for your engine combination.
    Just a thought
    Jim

Attached Files:

22. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Hi Jim, nice setup.

I went and purchased a Tremec TR6060 out of a GM car.

They have a remote shifter with a more forward point for the actual shift location.

I think I can adapt this to come through the floor close to the front of the seat, definitely not in the original location, I will be using a shorter shifter with a relatively short shift pattern. As I get a bit closer to the adaption I will start a thread showing how I went about it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011