Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 or 12 volt dwell ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by knuckhed55, Oct 5, 2011.

1. knuckhed55

knuckhed55
    from montgomery

I am try to get my 8ba flatty to run better, I am new at this car stuff, I have built alot of bikes and they are way easier so I give you car guys alot of credit. I have a bubba dizzy with my 6 volt negative ground,, and im putting in new points and condenser, and I want to set the dwell, my neighbor has a dwell meter but it says 12volt on it. Can this be used to set the dwell for a 6volt system, and if not is there anywhere you can still buy multipule voltage dwell meters, I know im not good enough to set it by ear. Thanks for the help

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hooked the power leads of my 12 volt dwell meter to a 12 volt battery. It seemed to read correctly. While this worked for me on a $2 garage sale dwell meter, I might hesitate to try it on my neighbors hi zoot meter. BTW, are you sure it's 6 volt negative ground? If it was left as 6 volt, I don't see why it would have been changed to negative ground.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Use a feeler gauge.

4. I used to use the same dwell meter on 6 or 12 volt cars. It doesn't matter if it's 6 or 12 volts. This only measures the amount of time the coil is energized.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Voltage does matter on all the dwell meters I have used. Dwell meters normally have a knob to zero the meter before checking the dwell. That knob compensates for voltage. If the meter can be zeroed using the knob the reading will be correct. If not, the reading is useless.