Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 6 June 1944

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COCONUTS, Jun 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_5900.JPG The men on the front lines needed the men in the rear to support us and send the supplies and equipment forward, yes that's the fact we could not have done it with out their support.
    I for one are glad we had them. Frank 1st Cav

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    catdad49, Darryl Deir, vinfab and 3 others like this.
  2. vinfab

vinfab

We should also remember that June 6th was another anniversary. The battle of Midway Island took place on June 4-6 1942. Where the United States defeated a Japanese Battle Group by sinking four carriers and a heavy cruiser. The Japanese were never able to recover from these losses and became a turning point for the war in the Pacific. It is amazing to me how this day in history has had a profound effect on the war and how our lives today could be very different had we not succeeded.

catdad49, Darryl Deir, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. I thank my friend Del Carlino who served as an over the hump pilot flying supplies out of China, I thank those who landed on the beaches that day, I thank those who died . I also thank the millions of citizens who worked tirelessly to help them achieve victory.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, winduptoy, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  4. I always felt that I didn't have a thorough understanding of WW2, like what started it and where we entered and everything entailed and how we came to win it... I've always known there is so much to learn from history and I see how they are dumbing down schooling (seems like the dumbing down started not too long after I completed college about '75)... It's always kind of bugged me. So anyway I just recently started taking this free online class from Hillsdale College about the history of WW2. Hillsdale Colege is a private college in Michigan and in my opinion it's one of the few good Liberal Arts left in the country where they teach the whole story about history, they don't change it or twist it around like a lot of them nowadays... Anyway, this class is FREE and it's online and you can listen to the lectures whenever you have free time (as you go)... This class is unbelievable, It's so through... They teach when each new plane came in, each new ship and new piece of equipment... You guy's should check it out... I almost feel like I'm becoming an expert in WW2...

5. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks, Darryl. My Dad was involved, so I have always watched any show associated with WWII. He never talked much about it and Yes,I did ask. Nothing really about his involvement, but he did tell me about the English pubs and their horrible weather. Thanks again, Carp.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  6. chrisp

chrisp

My father told me how a German soldier tried to shoot him as a kid because he was singing the Marseillaise with one of his buddy (he was born in 1936) and was actually saved by an other German soldier in Paris. My mother (born in 1939) told me how she remembers the Paris sky red from the fires. Both told me about the hunger and eating rotting meat bought from the butcher with the maggots already on it...
    All I've experienced is in an expo seing a panzer coming toward me : the ground vibrating, the roar of the engine I could feel in my chest, that's the scariest thing I have seen. To think that soldiers or the resistance was fighting against that, sometimes with just handguns and molotov cocktails, they must have been desperate or have balls of steel or both.
    Thanks to all who freed us.
    The war was won but with the resurgence of the white supremacy ideology allover Europe and the US the fight is not over.

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, during WWII, my father served in a civilian capacity... first worked for Sylvania on Radar and then in New Mexico on a project there that was air transported to Japan.
    We have much to thank this generation for as they served their Country on many levels when they were called.

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It was a direct Deposit

loudbang and winduptoy like this.
  9. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was 1 day old.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I was born 15 years after WWII ended....

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.