Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 cylinder falcons have different sized brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Aug 2, 2013.

1. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

yeah i know it sounds like a dumb question, one that could be answered by just taking off the wheel and measuring the drum but can someone give me a definitive answer as to weather or not the drums on a 6 cylinder 63 falcon are 10 or 9 inch drums? i ordered new springs and when i went to put hem on i realized "huh thats to big...ill just cut them" so i cut and bent them but sitting at work today i just thought "oh fuck, i like living" so i just need to re order the right springs that come already bent. so can someone on the o so glorious hamb point me in the right direction as to what brakes would be on theis car? i havent cut corners this far so i dont want to start now.

thanks

-what size
    -where to get the hardware kit

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

After all this time it is impossible to say what optional equipment your car might have had from new or what might have been changed over the years.

If you want to take a flyer, my guess is 9". But if you want to be sure, one of us is going to have to look at your brakes. You are closer than we are.

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

when i measured them they came to a hair under 9 and a half in diameter, so i ordered the 10 inch kit thinking maybe i hadent found dead center, im guessing now thats its the 9 inch one but i was hoping to get a second opinions before i do. maybe someone has ran into this before

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

They have four lug wheels/hubs/etc too.... :D

5. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

In Australia commercial falcons[ ranchero sedan deliveries are all 5 stud 10'']

6. Fitzworld

Fitzworld

In many instances Fords of the sixties could have different brake hardware and drum size depending on what plant the vehicle came from. I saw many different combinations of brakes on Falcons and Fairlanes regardless of engine or options.

7. JEM

JEM

6 cyl cars were 9in drums and 4x4.5 wheel bolt pattern, V8 cars were 10in and 5x4.5. They were all crappy, the eights slightly less so.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I worked at a Ford dealership for 2 years and I swear that Ford never built any 2 cars the same.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

SOOOOOOO much quicker and about the same price to call up Scare Bird and grab some of his brake brackets and his shopping list and do disc brakes on these cars. I got to marvel at how quick my wagon stops today when a lady on west Van Buren street needed to make her left turn at the exact same time as was going through the intersection. If I hadn't had the discs and a well balanced system I wouldn't have the wagon right now. I think I have about 275.00 bucks in the whole system.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the 9 1/2" is outside diameter of the drum, you have 9" brakes. You go by the inside diameter of the drum. Obviously yours are smaller than 10" either way.

11. stimpy

stimpy

FORD =Fixed Or ReDesigned , is what we called them at the parts store ... please bring me your vin code and build date and shift ( not kidding ) for the car ( specially if it was a late 70's - mid 80s POS ) and some models the exterior color of the car please ( kidding.... to mess with customers ) and does it have a vinyl roof ??? :rolleyes:

12. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

thanks all, just ordered the new hardware today for 9 inch ones. and yes disk brakes are a must, but the entire front suspension of this car needs to be rebuilt anyway so untill i start that the disk brakes are going to wait. this car wont really be a daily, even if it is itll only be driven maybe a mile.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I'm running, with ceramic pads. Stops like a modern car.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Me too, only mine WILL out stop the girlfriends new Honda with ease!