Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs **5th try / Starliner on Sept.6 & 7, 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jul 23, 2013.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stray Kat Kustoms will be hosting the 5th annual Starliner on September 6 & 7, 2013
    at the Kansas Aviation Museum.

This is the perfect place to host the show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and
    it is a kool back drop for the show. The building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool
    art deco structure.

Please go to their web site below to checkout the museum.

www.kansasaviationmuseum.org

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The show will begin on Friday (09/06/13) and we will be doing a Garage Krawl to visit some
    Of the koolest Hot Rod and Kustom shops in the Wichita area. We will be
    visiting some of the guys that are keeping Kustoms and Hot Rods a rolling.

Saturday we will be at the Kansas Aviation Museum. This is the perfect place to host the
    show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and it is a kool back drop for the show. The
    building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool art deco structure. We will be parking among
    the planes which will make a kool photo op.

Why Wichita?

1981 was the first year that I really started doing the car show thing. My third show was
    the Kustom Kemps of America’s Lead Sled Spectacular in Wichita. We drove up early
    Saturday morning and we were planning on spending the night at the host hotel but
    because I was only 18, they would not let me check in to my room. Not knowing anyone
    there, we just hung out in the parking lot at the hotel. We stayed as long as we could and
    then drove the three hours back home. Even though it was only for one day we had a
    blast! I had only seen one chopped Mercury before and it was at an indoor car show at
    the Starbird show in Tulsa. This was the first time I got to see a Mercurys and kustoms in
    motion. They are kool sitting still but when you get to experience them driving around town,
    whoa, look out. Watching a Kustom a cruising is a whole different experience.

That weekend I was introduced to the important role that Wichita played in the Kustom
    and Hot Rod history. Can you imagine how kool it would have been to see Dave Stucky
    crusing Douglas in the Little Koffin. I love to hear the stories of those days.

My late 50’s experience didn’t really start until the early 80s. Kustoms like Hub Harness
    ’59 El Camino, Doug Reeds ’50 Olds “aka Toad” and Johnny Hammond’s timeless ’58 Chevy
    Impala. I know that I’m leaving some of the kustoms that started it for me out but what
    a list. These guys introduced me to kustoms and that kool Wichita Style. The Kool thing
    is they are still kruzing the streets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the mild kustoms above they're all about the profile.

Wouldn’t it have been kool to live in Wichita when, Starbird, Cushenberrry, Stucky, Farner,
    Eldon Titus and Carl Green were building some wild kustoms and kruzing the streets. Since
    that day Wichita has not slowed down. Guys are still building them today and still doing their
    part keeping the Kustom and Hot Rods alive in Wichita. I’ve been blessed over the years to
    build relationships with a lot of koool people in the area and felt like Wichita should host a
    Kustom and Hot Rod event. Like every other town in the USA they’re too many car shows
    but I feel like they’re not enough kool ones. Wichita has a kool show in the Delano district
    but other then that one, not another show for the Kustom and Hot Rod enthuists.

The guys that I mentioned above influenced my foundation on what is kool and I’m very
    thankful that I was exposed to this legendary Wichita style. Today we have guys in the
    area (Jeff Meyers to name one) that are building kool Kustoms and Hot Rods that are influencing
    the younger crowd. I want to spot light some of the legendary builders and show them
    what they started years ago is still alive today and make sure that Kool will never go out
    of style.

If you have any questions just let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask Jack...

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. mongo51

mongo51

Kant wait brother. See ya in a couple days

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Almost time! I plan on coming down Sat morning. What time is everything starting?

4. Butch M

Butch M

I'm ready to go today see ya Sat

5. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Mickey, I'm ready. Any hints about the spots on the crawl on Friday? Did you get your new carb dialed in on the Merc?

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Herb, Kool to hear that your ready. My Merc is gas'd up and ready to go. I ended
    up putting a new Carb on the Merc and she likes it.

Just finished the maps for the Krawl on Friday. We will have registration at the host
    hotel from 10am to 1pm on Friday. If you happened to get in after 1:00 the front desk
    will have some maps available.

If you have any questions let me know, if not I'll see ya guys Friday. Praying that you
    all have a Happy Trail...

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saturday registration will start at 8:00am at the Kansas Aviation Museum (3350 George
    Washington Blvd. Wichita, Ks) and will run until 2:00pm. Trophies will be passed out before
    4:00.

We can stay around for a while after the show if you would like to take advantage of
    some Kool photo ops. The Museum is real kool place and its a great opportunity to take
    some kool pics of your ride.

Happy Trails, Mick

8. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Just when you thought you were safe, I'm coming in Thursday afternoon. See you tomorrow.

9. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

When I changed the carb on my 56 Chevy convertible, I had to order a front disc brake kit to make sure I could stop it. Your Merc should roar like a lion now

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Renee was going to drive the '60 but it has a bad exhaust leak and I don't have time
    to fix it before we go. I think the Merc did it to get even for watching me drive away
    in the Impala. Looking forward to some road time..

11. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Typical sibling wanting attention. Well at least you're thinking about Renee's health and well being.

12. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Did the deer cause the exhaust leak? I had a deer damage every body panel on the drivers side about 10 years ago on a Ford Crown Vic. The deer walked away. I hate deer too.

13. harley rider

harley rider

will there be food venders or should I pack a lunch?

14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DEER SUCK!!

We have two new food vendors this year, no need to pack a lunch. Also the Lonely Knights
    from Colorado Springs will be selling breakfast Fajitas until they run out. You can't have a
    kool show with out good food.

15. FinkTinner

FinkTinner

Any hints on some of the shops the Garage Crawl will visit?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chaotic customs is doing lunch from 11:00 to 1:00..... Yblock292, aka Jack Maranelli, Joe Robinson's Kool collection,
    United engine specialties (before 12:00) they are Flathead gurus. Roger Linn's kool garage and Dennis McPhails and
    I'm forgetting some others....

17. Mercchev

Mercchev

Lonely Knights are packed up and heading out at dawn tomorrow. See ya there, Mick!

18. 49toad

49toad

Don't forget the "Chrome Smoke and Flames" Art and the Automobile show at the Goaway garage. Part of the garage crawl

19. Hope you have a great turn out! Wish I was going to be there. :( Maybe next year...

20. gonmad

gonmad

Well suck.... We ain't gonna be able to make it this time Mick. Just too much going on right now and can't get away. Trying and trying, but finally "gave it up" today.
    I do gotta ask that you save us a shirt tho, we got all the other ones and I want to keep them all.
    Sorry guys, I know I won't be missed but Chic and the kids will be I'm sure!! LoL!!
    Awesome show and anyone remotely close should go!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378444467.704295.jpg

21. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Jimmy, it won't be the same without you and your family - ill be sure to abuse Mickey for you - hope to see you all soon - even if it's at Pete & Jake's

22. gonmad

gonmad

Sounds good brotha! You never know who you'll see in there!! LoL!

23. Butch M

Butch M

great show as always Big Thanks to Mick had a great time

24. gonmad

gonmad

PiCs!!!!

25. tjmercury

tjmercury

Had an awesome time Mick, just wish I coulda been there all weekend. But I guess I will take what I can get!!!

26. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

It was a fun time. Crazy hot, but fun all the same.

<<<<< plus I got a new pic for an avatar...

27. yblock292

yblock292

Dang Jimmy, sat there on the curb all day in the hot sun, just pitchin rocks across the road waiting on you guys. Saw all the cars come in and i waited and waited, then all the cars started leaving, still sitting on the curb waiting on you guys, long day and ran outta rocks!

28. gonmad

gonmad

LoL! Sorry that I didn't show buddy! Pretty sad when you run outta rocks waiting! I'll have to bring you a bag of them to replace the ones you gave up on our benefit! LoL!

29. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Hot show and a hot drive home - got my nap in early at the show - quite a few took advantage of the airplane wings for shade - I got a ride in Mickey's 60 Impala to the Go Away Garage to see the art exhibit - the folks from Colorado not only fed us Friday night but fed us again Saturday morning as well - we missed you

30. NEALS49

NEALS49

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014