Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59ab floating rod bearings

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jhouse88, Feb 12, 2020.

1. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

Is there a good source for these bearings? Speedway has them but they are 400$. I have three 8ba’s that I would switch over the early block to a insert style before I pay that.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Now you know why we switch over to the 8BA crank/rod assemblies!

3. There are often NOS and NORS bearings on e-bay for reasonable prices. However, you must know exactly what you need since there were so many different size combinations possible. The crank journals may be undersized or the rod bores oversized in a variety of combinations. There are also different sizes and styles depending on the year model of the engine. Also, it may take a while to get a full set. Often the sellers have only one or two of a particular size.

4. Budget36

Budget36

I recall a well known name on the FordBarn, I think "OldRon" (I bought his book) who talked about the superiority of the full floating bearings, Issue as I recall was him mentioning how to properly set them up.

That said, OldRon had done so much with the FH Fords, ya kinda had to listen to what he said.

I'd think (In my mind) switching to having your stuff cut to insert bearings, and buying the bearings, would be more expensive than the outlay for the floaters...I might be wrong, but just comparing of what it cost my buddy to get his engine from Babbit to inserts.

All that said, if you're looking at the "Next time I rebuild it it will be easier"...how long in years will that be?

It's not like many put 25K miles a year on a FHV8.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You don't need to cut for inserts : use the 8ba crank & rods in your earlier block(unless it's early enough to have poured mains!!)

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59A's and newer? To me it's a no-brainer; use the 8BA stuff. The slight decrease in friction isn't worth the added expense and complexity. In the earlier engines, there will be slight to major modifications required depending on the era of he engine. There is a thread on "The Ford Barn" right now on this very subject. Anyone contemplating this swap into a pre-war engine should look it over to get some idea of what may be involved Please note that you can't just put 8BA rods and insert bearings on the early crankshaft. There will be oiling problems (except for certain Canadian cranks).

8. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

email me, I have a full set, NORS .020 for 15% of Speedy Bill. Also a crank with meat on it to grind to that....

9. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

I got my Sealed Power ones from Summit. PN 9805CA20 (20 under). Paid $209 with coupon. Got my main bearings from them as well.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

Mac Vanpelt (Vanpelt sales) has quite a few NOS parts. I got bearings and NOS rods from them. I don't recall prices. I do recall he was helpful in what my options were.