Register now to get rid of these ads!

59AB Flathead fan~question, suggestions...at a loss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Missing Link, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link

I have a 46 59AB and the fan pulley and bearing took a mighty fine dump on me.
    See, it seems the assembly (all 37 parts of it) began to leak oil...and I did not notice this happening.
    Basically, the fan bearing heated up and cracked and the lubrication cup <hehe> snapped off the back of the pulley. I will try to post the crappy pics of this debacle...
    So my question is this. I can not find a fan pulley for this anywhere. I tried all kinds of searches and even checked with my normal flathead suppliers but to no avail. Is there an alternative? I would prefer to keep that part stock if at all possible. Anyone have one of each or one or the other they would part with? This sucks. The assembly was well oiled when I serviced it. used the recommended lube for it also. Sometimes I wonder...
    Every damn time I get this car running something else breaks. The last thing was the factory defective fuse panel that left me stranded. I fixed that and then a day later this pulley assembly lets loose. It sounded like a goddam farming combine coming down the road! Sum-biatch let loose all of a sudden. No fair warning...Luckily it did not break off and screw up the radiator or anything else, so I guess I should consider myself lucky. All I had to do was try to straighten the radiator fins.
    Regardless, some help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Any help with a place to get one of these would really help as I would like to drive the car some more before the snow starts falling...This is the car that ate my brain.

<The pic sucks but you can obviously spot the crack in the bearing casting>

2. Missing Link

Missing Link

The crack in the bearing runs from the neck all the way up to the flange. The crack is completely through the casting. If you look at the end of the bearing it is now egg shaped on the inside diameter. It is not savable.

BTW, I would prefer not to use an electric fan unless someone can explain the benefits. The car ran at a fine temperature prior to this mess so I figured why mess with it. [​IMG] The fan would need to mount to the front of the radiator so I believe that would need to be a pull type (?) oh yeah...nothing like a good pull type [​IMG] sorry, I digress...