Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59A manifold on an 8BA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Plumlee, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

SO I have #4 and #8 dead at idle....and have checked every possible cause..honest. Question: anybody running early manifold on an 8BA? I am thinking about angle of block since the valve angle changed, maybe just maybe a manifold leak internal is the cause? The manifold is an Eddie Meyer repop, 2X2, brand new real 97s. Have eliminated electrical and mechanical possibles.

2. dudley32

dudley32

I ran an early Edlebrock high rise two deuce on a 8ba with no problems other than oiling my firewall

3. Have you tried a vacuum gauge? At idle, there should be a high and steady reading. Any leak would show up.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Have you put a timing light on those wires and see if it flashes?

5. 42merc

42merc

Please tell me how the angle of the valves would affect the sealing of the intake.
    The intake surface is flat, tighten the bolts, then check with WD40 for leaks. If no leaks, check compression.

King ford likes this.
  6. adam401

adam401

I run an early 2x2 offenhauser on an 8ba with no issue. I run the 59ab style intake gasket. Runs great, pulls hard and idles well. I have a motor minder vacuum guage hooked up and it idles at around 18 vacuum inches.
    Fwiw I also run a pcv valve. Sometimes when people run the early manifold that has no provision for a road draft tube wacky things happen like there is no crankcase ventilation or improper venting. Not sure what you have going on in regards to that.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume you already checked those wires with an OHM meter for continuity. I had a rough run condition earlier this year on my 8BA and it turned out the number 2 wire ate it's carbon core about an inch or so from the plug end.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Ha....my brain is mush after fighting this for several hours over a few days. I still don't see how a leak in the valley is found by WD40 on the exterior. 120 compression on every cyl, wet.

9. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Yep, have changed wires around, and even new wires, cap, distributor, rotor, etc from different engine. Thanx for input...it is a mystery that will get solved!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

By golly I shall try a 59AB gasket.....maybe there is a difference? And my ventilation is just at the oil filler cap area on this early manifold.....hmm. Still wonder why just 4 and 8 dead at idle but will try gasket change. Thanx.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a Navarro blower intake and the first time I assembled the upper end I had a vacuum leak. I immediately suspected the gasket, though Mike included it with the intake it did not cover all that well. I used the 59 style gasket as Adam401 did and there has been no issues. I have to admit I am not fond of the look as you see too much of the gasket in my opinion. In hind sight I should have trimmed the gasket for aesthetics sake but running well trumps looking well ( I will deny that if asked :cool:).
    Get that flathead running Ron.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you install an early intake on an 8ba you will ruin that engine.
    You will block off the internal ventilation by covering the front vent tube which will trap impurities inside.
    I’ve done this on my 8ba but installed a PCV in it. This will force ventilation through your valve galley and make it happy.

adam401 likes this.
  13. adam401

adam401

Yeah I think theres a misunderstanding when people use the early manifold on the later engine that the breather on the oil fill is adequate crankcase ventilation. It is not.

Petejoe likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which goes hand in hand on the thread I did a couple months ago on adding a PCV to my intake below the blower. Made an incredible difference.

adam401 likes this.
  15. adam401

adam401

I'll have to check that out. I did a thread on my pcv install as well

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. adam401

adam401

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I guess I got lucky, running an Edelbrock SU 359 on an 8-BA for 8 years and 13,000 miles. Pulled the engine and put it in another car, with and early Offy intake, been running since, for 15 years. No PCV on either engine, only a breather at the oil fill at the back. It didn't have an easy life, I ran it on dirt ovals, at least 15 outings. Adding PCV sounds like a good idea though. img20161106_16354394.jpg

Bandit Billy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. adam401

adam401

Marty I have no idea how that would have been ok but if it worked, it worked. Nice car.

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Very lucky.
    Short duration oil changes could help but odds are stacked going against science and engineering.
    PCV is a cheap easy project for peace of mind.
    Great looking car Marty.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  21. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Is the oil due to ventilation, lack of? I just cut the vent tube off and left it open inside the manifold, hoping maybe that is causing my idle problem at 4 and 8.

22. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Did you run the early gasket for a particular reason? I did not think enough about ventilation for one thing, and wonder if the early gasket maybe seals better for another....the 8BA looked like a perfect match, maybe not?

23. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

I was kinda forced into the early manifold due to hood clearance, my focus was on getting clearance for carbs plus air cleaners and it all just barely fits....the Eddie Meyer early unit was the lowest profile I could find, but may be a mistake. Hate to cut holes a nice heavily louvered hood!!

24. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Not yet, gonna have to find a place to tap in, no place to hook in the gauge.

25. dudley32

dudley32

I learned later from a flathead guy I should have removed (or cut down) the tube in the front of the lifter galley that connects to the road draft tube. This would enable the engine to breath like the 59A did. He said the early intake manifold blocked this tube. Give it a look...

26. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

The 59a had a vent in the oil pan that the 8ba does not, so it would still not vent like a 59a.

Petejoe and Bandit Billy like this.