Register now to get rid of these ads!

59A Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phagar, Dec 19, 2008.

1. phagar

phagar
    from Tulsa, OK

So I just completed popping the heads of my newly aquired 59A flatty and it has a hairline crack located between cylinders 7 and 8 and cylnders 1 and 2. Crack is between the round water jacket port and the center head stud which is a distance of about 1/2 in or less. Looks like a major design flaw to me. Should I scrap it or do guys run blocks like this?

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thos are "NOS" cracks and don't affect anything; just use a good thread sealer and run them.:)

However, they may not be the only cracks; you gotta have it hot tanked and magnafluxed before you spend a lot of money on parts and machine work.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

As Tubman said, these cracks are really nothing to worry about as at least 50% of most motors have these cracks..............I had them fixed only because I wanted to run a blower and wanted "the piece of mind". Here is a picture of the insert put into the block, it was done twice on each side. The lighter area with the stud is where it was done. You can see the edge of the crack going into the water jacket.

Also..........if you are going to rebuild the motor you need to have it hot tanked and mag'd around all the valve seats, main web, and pan rails.......................then once you got a clean bill of health go for it.

Attached Files:

4. R Pope

R Pope

As has been said before, that crack has a Ford part number! Most flatties have them, no worrys, as long as there aren't any in the walls, or into the valve seats or ports.

5. phagar

phagar
    from Tulsa, OK

Thats a relief, Ive already gone through 3 engines. Each one has either had cracks in the walls of the cylinders or the pan rails, so ill cross my fingers till I receive results from the magnaflux test. I think having them fixed would be the way to go. Is the picture above a threaded insert?