Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

59-L Flathead Block for Sale

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by Garry Carter, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

City: Spring Branch

State: TEXAS!
    Price: $550 OBO
    IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0691.JPG This is a 59-L Flathead engine block. Main caps are there, the studs are still in it, and since the original post, I've added an oil pan -- but it's pretty much a bare block. It does feature the factory reliefs, and is supposedly made from a better grade of steel (more vanadium/carbon/nickel?). It was "hot-tanked" and is now clean, but it's been a while since that happened so surface rust has begun to appear. I have not magna-fluxed it ... but there are no visible cracks in the places you'd normally spot them. Had planned to use it as a replacement for my 81-A but have decided to go in a different direction; engine block is located in Spring Branch TX, about 20 miles north of San Antonio on US 281, and I'm only offering local delivery. Call or text me at 210-884-7372 to discuss.

UPDATE -- UPDATE!!! Just scored a junk 59 engine (more or less complete but good only for parts, like crank, flywheel, etc.) It did come with a very good oil pan that now resides on that 59-L block. Now the deal is a "two-fer" --- but same price. Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Let's give this a bump ... and hope someone's looking for a good buy on TWO engines for the price of one!

3. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Continuing to find out more about this engine. Closer examination reveals it to be a .125 over-bore. With a 4-inch crank, that means it would become a 274-incher. Also appears to have been some polishing work on the intake runners...although that's only a guess

With this block -- and this bore -- you could buy a balanced rotating assembly from Speedway, cam of your choice, and have a really nice, strong flathead for about $2,500. Think about it and make me an offer.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016