Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 impala hood question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gallogiro, Aug 11, 2015.

1. gallogiro

gallogiro

I got a question, not sure myself and people I asked aren't sure themselves.

I am going to tack weld and mold the underside of my hood flat, using 24 gauge steel and very little body filler to smooth and flatten out. not using one large sheet and laying it over the entire underside, but patching up the areas on the hood sub frame to make flat and like I said smoothing out with filler then painting, I am going to airbrush and paint a mural under the hood.

question is, does the hood flex as you open and close it? enough to crack the filler and paint? I don't want to put days of labor and 100s in the paint and mural just to have it crack the first time I open the hood. car is a 59 impala, steel getting tack welded to subframe is 24 gauge and the most bodyfiller I plan to use is about 1/8 of an inch spreat out at the most in some areas a foot and a half

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

plan to do a better mural than that, but making it flat but you can see the subframe. thanks guys