Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Impala Decklid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blam, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Blam

Blam

Hey I am thinking that i'd really like to throw a decklid from a 59 impala on my 60 pontiac, possibly extend the "wings" on my car a couple inches out. Anyways, i was wondering if there is anyone out there that is lucky enough to own a 59, it would be a BIG help if i could trouble you for some dimensions, ie. length and width mostly and anything above and beyond that would be greatly appreciated.
    oh and on a completely unrelated topic, if anyone has a spare decklid off of a 59 impala i know a guy who is in the market....
    thanks,
    -Ryan

2. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

Are you talking a 2 door hardtop deck lid?
    the 2 hardtops are longer, and by thier self.
    the sedans and 4 door hardtops all have a shorter deck that interchange with each other
    I can get you dimensions for the short lid if that is what you need.

3. Blam

Blam

Oh man, I'd take either, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's going to be easier to adapt to what I got.
    Thanks,
    -Ryan

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Well,didnt know that!
    55 to 57 diffrence in length is in the panel between the lid and back glass.

5. You do know that you're going to need to cut up a donor car to make that work, right? Assuming the edge shape is even close enough to match up to the Pontiac trim at the least you'll need both sides and the latch area of the opening cut off a donor. If you plan to eliminate the Pontiac round taillights, then you'll need the entire deck off a '59. They changed the whole shape of the trunks from '59s, which are curved down a few inches at the very rear, to '60s, which are mostly flat and the back edge is quite a bit higher.

That also means you need to completely rework the fuel door and fuel tank access, since it's right there where the '59 deck lid latch needs to be.

I'm not sure it would bolt to the hinges or work with the leading edge of the opening either.

I'd say it's going to be a ton of work, there's no "throwing it on" -

6. Blam

Blam

Thanks for your optimism.