Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 Fairlane/Galaxie for sale near me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Want2GoFaster, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

There is a really nice original, stock, 4-door 1959 Galaxie for sale within 2.5 hours of where I live. It looks to be in great stock condition. He told me that the only items not original to the car are the dash pad, carpet, which he replaced and the tires.
    I spoke with the older gentleman and he told me the history, as he knows it, about the car.

Bob, The car has been in my area all of it's life. It was purchased new by a friends mother from Barry Motor in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Danbury, <st1:State w:st="on">IA.</st1:State></ST1:p She sold it in 1977. Then it was owned by a father-son till 1996. It was then owned for three years by a guy who lives a few blocks away from me. I purchased it in Nov 1999. As far as I know, it has always been kept in garages and has not been involved in an accident. I did replace the dash and carpet in 2001, and the tires later on. It runs fine and I do not know of any mechanical or electrical problems.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His ad says it has a 390 V8. But doing some research, that year did not have a 390.
    http://www.galaxieclub.com/1959Specs.html

He must be mistaken. I haven't taken a drive out there yet to check the VIN to find out what tranny it has or any of the other specs for that matter. It looks like a pretty decent car. I don't see many for sale, here or elsewhere. As I don't have any real-world experience with these I'd like to get your opinions on the 59s before I drive out there, and maybe, make him an offer.

Thanks

2. Sweet car. My 2nd car as a tenager was this type. It was red and white and was a fairlane so not as much chrome. It was a good car.
    This one looks great. What does he want for it?

3. Big block was a 352, trans either the Borg Warner auto or maybe an FMX. I almost bought a '59 like that years ago, but it was a six and manual trans.

4. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

He's asking $5k

5. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

If I do get it, the only thing I'd do is make sure it's mechanically & electrically sound, clean it up & lower it.

It's got such great lines, that's all I would need to do.

Found this pic searching images

Attached Files:

6. toucan

toucan
    from sc

tranny is either ford o matic 2speed or cruise o matic 3 speed

7. I think in todays market that 5k is more then enough.
    Questions u need to think about are , How long will u keep it. Can u sell it later if u need to for any reason.
    We all aren't in this to make money so if you can get something back thats OK. The (if any) loss will be the cost of the fun of using it etc. Hope it works out for u.
    Look om e-bay to compare value.

8. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

I bought one back in '79 that was in the local paper for $125. It had a 352 2-V. Thought it was indestructible but found out different when someone pulled out across traffic and hit me 3/4 head on at low speed. Still have the engine stuffed back in the corner of my shop, and am using the arm rests and trim in some custom door panels I'm making for another car I bought after wrecking the '59. tnrotter

9. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

This will be my first jump in to the "hobby" car scene. I've been around cars my whole life and more recently have gained a greater appreciation for the hamb-style era cars. If it's in as good shape as it appears to be from the pics, I plan on keeping it for some time. I may be able to get him down on the price some. But if necessary I think I could sell it for what I paid, or close to it.

I have, alongwith other sites. That's my dilemma. The ebay listings are either high $$ sunliner retractables, converts or low $ "projects".

I checked NADA on line and found that a 4 door Town Sedan at "low retail value" is $4.5K and one at "average retail value" is worth around $7.8k with the 352 (still haven't verified what's in his) but the pic he sent me shows a V8. There just isn't a lot of '59s listed anywhere.

I've been using another site a lot. It's pretty good actually, even though some of the listings have expired, but it seems to cover just about all areas at one shot.
    Here's the link for a '59 Galaxie search:
    http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash....ys=1959&ye=1959&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++
    There's nothing as nice as the one I'm looking at for the same money. I should temper that statement with, I haven't seen it first hand yet. He sent me some other pics and it looks to be in good solid stock condition.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

10. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

Yeah, you would think they would be stronger than the new cars, but this video says way differently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

11. gohst58

gohst58
    from dallas

man, that's a nice one, id say 5k is decent, Personally I love those 59's its a one year only body style. If it is all original the engine should be a 332 or a 352.

12. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I have a 58 2DR H/T and I think the if the 59 is as described,$5K is reasonable price. All the trim looks good, the cool three tone interior looks good, it has a lot of options and the big motor. While on the subject, if the valve covers have 2 bolts through the center, it is a Y.block, not a FE (332-352-390 etc.) Not a deal breaker if it has a Y Block tho....The 59 would be a GREAT way to jump into the hobby. It's fairly cheap,it looks cool,it runs and drives and does not have any missing parts. Something you can have some fun with..today!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  13. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

Thanks for the heads-up on the heads. Definitely not a Y block.

Attached Files:

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

'58-'59 Fords aren't very popular and with the 4 door, it makes it even less. However, based on the pics, its a nice ride. If I spend my hard earned money, I always think about resale in the future.

15. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Look up the cost of re-chroming the bumpers or replacing the interior or re-building the engine. Unless you can do your own work that is a good price, a little on the high side but good none the less. But before you jump remember you're in a niche market and you will need to hang onto it for a while because of the "collectability" and "desirability" of it and other cars out there. If it is really what you want and you can't live without it........go for it!

16. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone I.D. that engine in post "Lucky" 13?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  17. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

Thanks. I know they aren't the most popular, but I really like the style, 4 door and all. But you're right, resale has to be considered, especially in this economy. But I'm hoping I can talk him down from his asking price just for that reason.

The uniqueness of it's styling, being a one year style, the low miles (52K), and the original stock condition of it would make this one I would hang on to for a while. I'm not sure there is any hobby car I absolutely can't live without, but there's just something about this style galaxie I find really appealing.
    I was looking at '62-'64 galaxies at first, and still am, but when I saw this ad I thought it was worth asking everyone about, and if there were no big warnings signs from everyone, would be worth taking a look at.

I appreciate the insight for sure.

18. 3640

from sweden

19. Want2GoFaster

Want2GoFaster

Sorry, the '59 was sold to someone else last month.