Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 f100 wiring problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southtexas59, Mar 26, 2014.

1. southtexas59

southtexas59

Fellas, im having an issue with the turn signals and stop lights on my 59 f100
    seems that someone has put their hands in before ,so when i decide to reinstalled the taillights, seems that when i connect the stoplight/switch wire to either of the stoplights ,i get a signal light and no brake light or both brake lights but flashing on both sides when turn signal on....:confused: been at it for days, replaced all the old wire with new,just r&r, all the other lights work fine...if i could get pics of the actual wires under the hood, dash switch,taillights,etc would be great..:D

thanks

2. Aftermarket switch or original ?
    Make sure you have good ground at lights.

3. mechanic58

mechanic58

Here's a diagram for a 6cyl '59 Ford car - it's probably very close, if not identical to the '59 F100.

[​IMG]

4. southtexas59

southtexas59

original.......but the original wire/colors are not there...

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I just finished doing the turn signal wires on my 59 F100. There is a thread which helped me, I started it and Crazy Steve spelled out how to figure out whats what.

I had mine chased down in 20 min.

I can help but I wont be out in the garage till later. I still have my wires taped and marked. Read the thread and let me know.

here is the post that helped me.....

If the car colors don't match, it's pretty easy to use a meter to determine what is what...

With the switch 'off' (no turn), three wires will have continuity to each other. Flip to left turn, one will drop out; that's the left rear light. Flip the other way, the one that drops out is the right turn. The remaining wire is power from the brake light switch.

The other three can be found much the same way; when flipped left, the left rear will read to two other wires. One will be the left front/dash indicator, the other will be power from the flasher. Flip the other way to identify the rights, the one wire common to both directions is from the flasher.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edited:
    This should show Figure 1 turn signal wiring schematic that shows how the power runs through the switch . Note that there are two green wires in the system that do different things.
    One runs from the stoplight switch to both sides of the back half of the switch for stop lights while the other runs from the switch to the right stoplight/turn signal bulb. There should be enough original wire left on the switch to determine if you have the wires connected correctly.

This only shows the stop and turn circuits and does not show the park/tail circuits.
    [​IMG]

Good grounds: Agreed, the lights and or light sockets have to be well grounded or you will have issues.

It sounds like you already removed all the old scabbed on wires that end up under the back of pickups in the name of hooking trailers up so that is a moot point.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. FordyNiner

FordyNiner
    from Wisconsin

Do you have dual filament sockets and bulbs?

8. southtexas59

southtexas59

Yes the bulbs are dual filament and only 2 wires

9. CHeck along the length of the wire to the bed for rubbed through spots. The wire runs along the frame, exposed to the elements. I had the identical problem on my '59 which turned out to be a bare spot rubbed in the wires over the years.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no electrical whiz, but had some rear elect probs with my 1960 F100 and used a test light at the steering column indicator block to determine what wire was doing what because I had flashing issues as well.

Later, I installed amber flasher doing the same test light checking at the column.

I was much clearer after doing that test.
    Previously, I had brake light issues and just ran a whole new brake wire the length of the vehicle and hooked it in correctly at the rear and no more problems, was quick and easy.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  11. southtexas59

southtexas59

this is what i found under the steering wheel....if someone could please tell what goes where and whats missing.......:confused: nothing is the color they should be?

[​IMG]

thanks

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. Clint86

Clint86

They are indeed identical, I had brake issues with my 59 f100 too. No brake lights while having turn signals could also mean that your master brake cylinders pressure switch has stopped working.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. southtexas59

southtexas59

Steve, I have read the link you posted..if the switch dia. mr48chevy posted is accurate, then my switch is missing a wire....a green I think, if that is right, I think I can figure out which is which by that dia..

14. Yep, you're missing a wire. Check it like my post says for a six-wire switch, that will identify the terminals and you can solder a new wire on...

Ford wasn't always real consistent about wire colors, I've bought 'service replacement' switches from the dealer that had some or all the colors different.

15. I should note that when soldering, try to limit the heat used as it can be pretty easy to overheat the plastic insulator/base sometimes and the contact will 'move', ruining the switch. That's more of a problem with the white plastic switches, but you still need to be careful...

16. southtexas59

southtexas59

17. southtexas59

southtexas59

Spent the afternoon replacing and adding wirers in the correct places..I think I got it....had all working except the left stoplight , after finally giving up for the night I decided to try testing the wires from the signal switch again.I went from one to another and checked which was which and found the left stoplight wire......but now I notice the left front signal light coming on when I hit the brake...lol...no biggie......getting close ....thanks to for the help..

I now realize where the white wire goes that I had run to the rear.....DDOOOh!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  18. southtexas59

southtexas59

19. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Mechanic58 what book did you pull that out of? Thanks!

20. Dannyboyd

Dannyboyd
    from California

need help with my 1960 ford I put in a chevy chrome tilt steering colummn (after market ) need to hook up turn signals and break lights is there a cheap kit i can buy or diogram i can check out ? thanks

21. I know this thread is old but I’m having some similar brake light issues with my 1959 f100 turn/tail lights work but no brake lights? Brake lights worked till yesterday? I’ve got new bulbs an a new master cylinder switch I also have good grounds? My master cylinder switch goes from the head light switch to the Factory turn signal switch So I’m wondering if the turn signal switch is bad ?? Or the headlight switch is bad?? Or did I miss it completely?? Lol

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

If the turn signals are still working fine, the problem is probably the brake light switch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. The Old brake light Switch did quit me but I installed a new one and verified that it is sending power to the turn signal switch? So I’m still scratching my head lol

24. Great thing that you used the Search function here and being a newbie too. Welcome and there is a wealth of knowledge here but are you sure that your new stop light switch is bad? Did you test it? It should not go through the ignition switch according to the #6 post if I am reading the schematic right. Where are you from as you did not complete the profile and add your location? There may be a member here close to you and be able to help in person.

25. Thanks I’ve been lurking in the background for quite a while you guys have helped me out a lot in the past but my new brake light switch it good? It was the old one that was bad and the brake light switch never went into the ignition switch?? My brake light switch goes from headlight switch to turn signal switch

26. I’m from Kansas I’ll finish the profile still trying to navigate this site form a member stand point

27. I’m off to bed fellas I appreciate any an all help and or advice And I will check in tomorrow

28. I been checking everything over after a good nights rest I’m gonna order a turn signal switch thought about getting the one that bolts to the coloum but think I’ll just get the factory original

29. Update sorry about the late reply been busy on other projects an waiting on snail mail but the new turn signal switch fixed it everything works as it did before

pprather likes this.