Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59 F100 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capt. Morgan, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

Need to replace the heater core in my 59 F100. I can't find a replacement for this model any where. Anyone know a source our a suitable replacement?

Thanks

2. 510madmav

510madmav

Have you checked, LMC, MACS etc..?

3. I had the same problem finding one for my '60, and ended up taking it to a local radiator shop to get re-cored. Cost more than typical replacement cores, but it got the job done.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

Thanks. I have checked LMC, MAC's etc. No Dice. What does a recore usually run? I was hoping to find a newer model core that might work.

5. Mine set me back $80. Not cheap, but its something I should not have to mess with for a long time now that its done.

6. johnboy13

johnboy13

Pull your old core out, clean it up real good. Get a bicycle inner tube for a ten speed. Something with a really small cross section. Cut enough of the inner tube, with the valve, to run from the inlet to the outlet of the core. Clamp one end of the tube piece onto the inlet and the other onto the outlet. Put the core under water and pressurize with a bike pump through the valve. You'll see bubbles where it's leaking. Solder the holes and try again. When you can get it to take the PSI listed on your radiator cap without leaking, you're all good.

If you really need a new core, take the old one into Autozone on a really crappy night when they're slow. Chances are, the guy behind the counter will let you in the back to compare your core to the ones they sell. When you find one that fits remarkably well, post it here.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan

Thanks Johnboy13. That is a neat trick. I will let you know if I figure something out. By the way like your 57.

8. johnboy13

johnboy13

Thanks, I've had it for about 10 years now, and it seems like it's usually one step forward, two step back.

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The guys at napa have a book with pictures of all the cores and measurements. I found one from another application to fit my '64 econoline that way. It was ALMOST exact.