Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 ElCamino Trailer Hitch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flt-blk, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I need to install a hitch on my 59 ElCamino.
    I am using the spare tire well under the bed and really don't want to put the spare back behind the seat if possible.

What have you used and how did it mount?
    Is ther a Universal reciever I can cut and weld to fit?

I refuse to have the idiots at U-Haul hack one in.

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

I built a custom hitch for my 72 El Camino. The receiver plugged in where the lic plate went it just flipped up. For the 59 I would make a flip up cover under the bumper. It was a day & half plus job to make it a clean install. Regretfully I do not have any pictures of it

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59 Elkie should be the same as 59 wagon in your search for a hitch. Back when I had one in 1970/71 I think it had a bolt on chrome hitch that wasn't good for much besides towing a small trailer and barking your shins on.

I can agree with not wanting someone to cobble one on though.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I custom made one for my 60 Chevy wagon, it was a piece of cake, I wish it were here, I'd take pics, if I remember I'll do it tomorrow.

5. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I have a 59 wagon and am also planning a hitch. I spoke with a guy at Rondo Trailer? on Rt 64 in Sycamore and they are interested in fabbing one for me. When the weather breaks I intend to go see them. Maybe they can help you.

6. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Id be interested in knowing as well since I plan to purchase anonter '59 in the near future..

7. When it thaws and swap meets start again I'll keep my eye open for somthing I can modify.

Nads,
    Did you put it through the bumper or underneath?

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Underneath, I just got back from Vegas, I'll post pics tomorrow, promise.

9. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

My wagon came with a hitch that is suppose to be for the 60 wagon. It looks bolt on but I sure haven't seen how it bolts on. I'd be interested in some pictures too. I can take a picture of my hitch as well if anyone is interested.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Some crappy cell phone pics of one I put on my 60 Chevy wagon. The tie bar is a heavy L-section with a receiver welded into the the middle, you can buy these parts from any trailer shop. It is bolted in three places along the stock beam that goes across the back.
    I towed my chopper all the way to The Round Up and back from Orlando, Florida, with no problems.

Attached Files: