Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 el Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Nov 27, 2015.

1. erock805

erock805

Thought I'd ask the experienced before I searched thru utube. How does a guy get the window trim off his ol wore out el Camino without screwing up the trim? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448656653.128530.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448656680.030031.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448656716.034255.jpg

flyin-t, kiwijeff and Muttley like this.
  2. 327Eric

327Eric

The front has studs and nuts that come through the roof behind tthe windshield. The lower piece has clips that are screwed into the cowl. You have to remove the cowl vent to gain access. The rear all snap into place like later cars(chevelle etc). Istill do not know how to remove the rear properly.

loudbang likes this.
  3. No Plan

No Plan

...not any help on the trim removal, sorry, I can't remember, but how did you lower that bad boy? ...looks great!

4. Muttley

Muttley

That thing rules.

5. Studs in the front sides and upper, and clips on the front lower. I would use a trim clip tool and fish around. My '60 isn't that low but it's all springs......no bags, the tough part is tucking the exhaust close to the frame so it won't scrape.
    [​IMG]

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

^^^ That is the best trim remover type that I used. I pulled thousands of trims to replace vinyl tops. That don't help much on the Elco , just sayin

7. erock805

erock805

It's bagged. Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps the front and rear glass is for a professional. Prolly cheaper to pay him rather than having to buy new trim

8. erock805

erock805

Here's the other side. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448712665.864763.jpg

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. erock805

erock805

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448769869.038179.jpg

Got one side of the glass in today. Pain in the tail.

10. belair

belair

The top front piece might be held in place by the rubber seal.

11. DSC02139.JPG DSC02141.JPG my buddy just did my 60 Chevy SD... we had to do the reverse and add this type of stainless to my front windshield... if there is no headliner, you will see the access holes to the clips the come thru the roof... unscrew the nuts( or the will snap off depending how rusty they are) ... take wiper arm off and remove the front vent cowl.. there is a good picture of a car I snapped a pic of when my friend was taking measurements.. you see were the upper clips come into roof header

12. erock805

erock805

Thanks. Gunna check this out today some. Does the headliner install after the windshield or before?

13. I would put the headliner in after the glass was in. My '60 is cocooned at my moms right now, so I don't have pics. I've had these apart (had a '59 too) and had junkyard finds in the past but can't remember fully. The back glass has studs on the top and sides (if I remember). If it has a headliner in it just drop down the front and rear to look for any studs (or holes in the double panel to access the studs), also take off the pillar panels next to the back glass to look for studs. I wouldn't rely on a glass guy not damaging your trim, do it yourself and just go slow. Also get some quality rubber from Steele, I bought a cheap one on the front and it didn't fit well (and hasn't aged well either). The last seals I bought was when Steele was the only one who made the rear. Your lucky too, these cars like to rot under the roof side trim above the door......also the lower channel for the rubber seal on the rear glass, under the shelf and the well under the bed grate. Man, I miss mine......I have to start on it again soon.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  14. my buddy had to pull back my headliner in SD, to access the inner roof header panel ( you'll see about four round holes for access on the middle the others if I remember were at the visor opening on the that inner header panel... Hope this helped...

15. good question, I would say yes install the new windshield first... My rig already had a nice headliner in it... we got luck that when we pulled it down it didn't rip and glued back up just fine.... good luck with the Elco !

16. erock805

erock805