Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 El Camino Standard Heater core help- found one that works with some modification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 327Eric, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

Has anyone found a modern core that will fit in the heater box for the 59(probably 60 also, not sure)El Camino/Biscayne recirculating (standard, poverty) heater core. This is the one with the two long outlets, not the more common Impala one with the bolt on control. I have googled and gone through boxes at the local Oreilly, and have come close, but no Cigar.

2. I couldn't find one many years ago and ended up having mine re-cored.

3. 59 htr coreCapture.JPG I need one also for my 59 El Camino. I'm wondering if this one here wouldn't work. Otherwise I'll have to have mine re-cored

4. The heater core above will not work, you will need to recore yours. above it's for the deluxe heater assy... I'm going to have mine repaired in my 60 Chevy Sedan Delivery... Those recirculating heater parts are had to find... Did find a used heater assy .. The core in it I'm going to have redone to save time.. Then I can pull and replace it at one time... Be glad your 2 lever controls aren't broken... I'm having a hard time finding a replacement( cable connection broken (common problem)... Good luck on the search

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Old school parts houses have books with pics of heater cores.I know old school parts houses aint easy to find any more, but i bet you can find what you need.. Now About the heater fan motor in one of these cheap chevys................

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

A recore won't cost very much.

7. squirrel

squirrel

yeah? where is this place that does low cost heater core recores today?

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Another issue is not all cores can be recored. Depends on the extent they are damaged. Its also difficult finding a shop thats interested in doing a recore.

9. My 59 Elco has the deluxe heater. So did the 60 Impala I bought. So now I have two cores.
    Southeast auto parts advertises a new core and mentions re-coring originals. No price said for re-coring, or if they'd do a 'standard' core. I don't see why they wouldn't. But what do I know..

10. town sedan

town sedan

...And with luck it will fit when you get it back. Hand a heater core re-cored a few years back. Seems it was a bit BIGGER when I got it back and had a hell of a time fitting it into the case again. Good luck,
    -Dave

11. 327Eric

327Eric

doesn't seem to be many shops around here that actually work on radiators. I have to do some more phone calls, or go to the one my dad uses when I visit. I got a recommendation to talk to a parts guy at the local Napa, and will follow up with him. I have found 2 promising prospects so far on the Napa website, one is for a late 70's Nova and clones, the other for a mid year Corvette.

12. 327Eric

327Eric

Got some good advice on a a parts guy to talk to, unfortunately due to my girlfriends failing health, I cant get to the Napa store during business hours. So back to OReillys with the old core, and pulling boxes and comparing, I found this DSC01519.JPG DSC01520.JPG DSC01521.JPG DSC01522.JPG DSC01523.JPG DSC01524.JPG DSC01525.JPG
    Murray Heat Transfer - Heater Core
    Line: MHT | Part # 94505,
    The application is a 1979 ElCamino, and many other G body cars.
    It fit in the cover fine, but when I put it in the base of the box, It was too tight. so I had to cut relief cuts in the cover and base. The outlets were curved, and out of alignment with the holes in the box, so I had to cut the outlets on the heater core, and open up the holes in the heater box. I hate to cut or modify hard to find parts, but all the modifications are out of sight, and can be repaired if the time ever comes.
    Cutting the outlets short cut the 3/4 inch bung off, so a couple short lengths of rubber 5/8 hose, to a couple lengths of 1/2 inch copper pipe got it through the firewall. I put a flare on the firewall end. and run Two 5/8 hoses, with a shut off inline. So far I have 2 trips to town, about 30 miles, and have a functional heater and defrost. This may be a little hokey for some, but I am bucks down these days. Total cost to get working heat , about $40.00 (I had the 5/8 nipple, and shut off valve on hand.)

little red 50 likes this.
  13. You done good. Some of these cores are un-obtanium. The one for my Ford, same dealie. It was a 1-year piece. I managed to pressure check it and it passed.
    heater core.jpg

14. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Hey Eric, thanks for your efforts and information! I'm taking notes.

And for you other guys, I will look through my parts to see if I have any standard heater controls.

15. nice job Eric on the heater core install... need to get mine working... tired of freezing my ass off in my 60... well done sir !

16. The recirculating heater for 59 60 Chevy passenger cars are tough to find... have had no luck finding controls for mine... may need to do the McGruber repair to it..

17. spooler41

spooler41

I had the same problem with a heater core for a '68 Ford wagon. I
    finally pulled it out and took it to a local radiator shop for repair.
    The guy that runs the shop said he could repair the core, cost about
    $90.00 or he could order a new replacement core for me , cost $34.00.
    I did the right thing and ordered a new one, had it in 3 days, no fuss
    no muss . It fit perfectly.
    .................................................... Jack

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Eric, just wondering , did you put something between heater core and the heater box to keep the core from rubbing against metal?

19. 327Eric

327Eric

I didn't . it fit in so tight it will definitely not be moving. There is no room where the tanks go in.

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I THINK my heater core is from 65 chevy p.u.. it just a small amount of play between core and housing. I think i ask you but does your heater motor work?

21. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

For the deluxe heater in the 59/60's, a heater core for a 64 Chevy works well. You have to move the holes around on the firewall and the air box in the engine compartment. That setup would melt the snow off of my 59 convertible.

22. 327Eric

327Eric

Heater motor works fine on mine. No interference.

23. I had to make a core from a Jap van fit a Holden , so I had to relocate the inlet And outlet tubes. The header tank was made of brass, so I cut holes in the right spotws with a holesaw, and soldered the tubes in. 1&2 cent pieces (ours are copper) make dandy patches for the holes where the tubes originally were.