Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wish I had your motavation. I see this as Blower Time. No need to fix that body line no more.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You ground the four leaf clover away on St. Padricks Day, thats why.

4. Awsome build. Keep up he good work! I love Elkys.

5. phatbaby

phatbaby

NIce build...........I went to a swap meet in early Febuary and my wife said bring her a surprise ....I did.....a 60 el camino......bout got it whipped I think...man there's alot of stainless on these things....been straighten and tapping for month and half now.....looking for passenger side rear glass stainless if anyone knows of any....again looking good.....you have got me thinking ....I think I'll start me a thread ......

6. I even got away with not wearing any green, all day! Should've known them leprechauns would sabotage me someway, somehow!

Gracias, hombre!

Definitely start a thread! The more the better! Join the foundation "Save The Elkys"

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

Can I get an AMEN?!

8. Hahaha... that made me laugh. Good way to start the day!

9. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

J.Fishbeck you are indeed a motivator - just read all 52 pages of your build and I am blown away not only by your skill and dedication to the build, but also by your warm personality that shines through with each post.

Any kind of rust terrifies me but seeing how you have bought this 59 back to life helps me sleep a little easier at night - LOL.

I wish you all the best with the rest of this epic journey.

Jaz

10. BEAR

BEAR

not working on it in the rain today?

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Again, i love this build!!! Great work brother!!!

12. Again, thanks for kind words. My personal motivation, comes from my Dad & Uncle. Their abillity and work habits, showed me how it should done. I can always hear them in the back of my mind, when I'm doing something. Kinda like the force & Obe Won kenobi!

Nope, I'm slacking.. and there's things I could and should be doing, too

Gracias, my friend! I'm enjoying your CDV build, nice work!

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

When you own an El Camino, you must not fear rust, if you do, you'll fail, the previous owner of mine embraced rust with Bondo and made my life harder but like Jay, I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

14. Toner283

Toner283

You two are making me jealous - both of you in primer & darn near ready for paint & I still have a long rusty road ahead of me with mine.

Both of your cars are looking great. hope to have mine there in a couple of years. Gonna pull it out in the next couple of months & empty it & get a start on her.

15. You have to want to do it.. and before you know it, you're done with all the rust repair. Its agood feeling. These past 5 days have been sucky.. started with my uncle getting sick, then my pops dehydrated (effin horrible) then got sick also. That plus parkinsons is no joke. So now I'm sick, and starting to feel better. Aye! Look forward to getting back on the car, I'm waiting for the hood insulation, so I can weld the support back in. Plus weld the holes closed for the hoods chevrolet emblem and drill the holes for the Vee! So I will start on the drvs fndr, while I wait..

16. Wanted to get a little in before the rain starts up, again. Even though it's probably good for Elmo.

[​IMG]

Stripped(mostly) hammered and dollied most of it straight. Still need to use the stud puller on some, I can't get to.. the bracing's in the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The under coating came off real nice like! Then, I was hammering and dollyin' dem dimples! This fender is far from perfect, but a nice place to start.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  17. old me

old me
    from Iowa

WOW!!
    This is some good stuff!

Jim

18. Thank you & welcome to the HAMB.

19. A little progress was made today.. jus' a lil'! The drvr fndr, is originally for a Bel Air. Had to weld the holes closed, for the space pig ornaments, on top!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I pulled out the hood, to weld up the Chevrolet emblem, holes. Plus the little cancer holes, on either side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need a measurement from the bottom of the hoods front, to the bottom of the "V".. or else, Imma have to just eyeball it!

[​IMG]

Still need to get out the stud puller, for both the hood and fndrs!

[​IMG]

Then I found the horn button plastic piece.. it's broken, but the part I didn't want to make is there! So I'm feelin' a little fortunate, today!

[​IMG]

Made a template, so now I just have to think on it!

[​IMG]

Then I plan on turning the useless clock, into a vacuum gauge..aka mileage meter! Yet still look like the orig clock..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a shame.. the only place this thing rusted, was were the gears that set an adjust the time are!

[​IMG]

Then I picked this up, today.. I will use it kinda like caulking, between the hoods inner structure and the hood skin! I might gonna have ta primer and paint it, before the i/s gets welded back in! Aye yi Yi yi!

[​IMG]

20. Dang it J.!!!

I need a clock - or a block off plate.

Looking good man!

JH

21. I've never seen a 59 clock delete.. I can only assume the look is gotta be rather odd! It would be like puttin' a black eye, in the gang!

22. Clock delete:

[​IMG]

I need one... or a clock.

JH

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Harrison, Is that the one on ebay? If not, there's one just like it with a buy it now price of $19.95. Mine has the clock delete cover
    that I polished.
    [​IMG]

24. I saved that pic some time back. I'll have to go look. :eek:

Thanks, Jim

25. Not at all what I expected.. Looks good. Doesn't draw the eye, right to it. Very cool!

26. Today, I used the stud puller and hammer, to pull the dents I couldn't get to, cos of the inner support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I got the tinning on there..

[​IMG]

I'm getting a little more comfortable, working with the solder.

[​IMG]

Then it was a filing and grinding, time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More, tomorrow!

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Ha ha, space pig ornament, that's exactly what it is!!!

28. Toner283

Toner283

:confused::confused: Somewhere you took a left turn & lost me completely

What the heck are you talking about???

The hood is looking good Jay.

29. hemifarris

hemifarris

Tone, I think they're talking about the front fender spears at the top front of the fender.......Mike
    [​IMG]

30. I love the space pigs!!!!

JH