Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 Edsel Ranger Gas Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Anyone have a suggestion of the best place to get a reproduction gas tank for a 59 Edsel? The one in my son’s car is not only leaking, but also beat up pretty good. Need to get it replaced and finding Edsel parts isn’t the easiest at times. Just looking for any experience from others. Thanks!

114E83F5-0D92-4992-BCBD-447B4178E4D0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Hmm...interesting. Sounds like a good option. Thanks!

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Spooky

Spooky

Hey @guthriesmith , I had a very leaky tank in my '59 once I got it home. I used a '59 Fairlane tank. Interchanges scream at ya that it is not a direct bolt in. As true as that is, Well, it will work. I can send pics if you desire this evening.

4. That would be great if you have pics! Trying to debate between it and the 63 Galaxie tank so far. Sounds like both might need some slight modifications.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Spooky like this.
  5. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

Years ago, my buddy’s dad had an Edsel Ranger. We discovered that many Mercury parts would interchange.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Older fuel tanks are often more trouble than they are worth, for a bunch of different reasons not worth getting into.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and get a new tank if needed. Clean fuel delivery @ correct flow & pressure makes carburetor and engine happy.

loudbang, Boneyard51, Spooky and 2 others like this.
  7. Agreed. :D I just think they don’t make one for this car. ;) I suppose I can’t complain since there wouldn’t be much demand. Just looking for something from another car that we can make work without too much hassle.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Do you use pics and dimensions of tank. Probably aren't many guys that have had an Edsel tank on the floor, but could more easily be compared to others.

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

They really aren't too hard to make if you are decent with forming sheet metal and welding it together. I built the replacement tank in my '62 Merc Monterey Wagon. Used KBS Tank Sealer to finish off the inside and covered the exterior in undercoating. It has worked wonderfully for 7 years now.

The original:
    [​IMG]

The replacement:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's pretty slick!

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  11. That looks great! I have considered that if needed if we can’t find something that can work. I am a design engineer and work for a company that builds construction equipment. We actually design and build multiple fuel and hydraulic tanks.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So how did you check for leaks @FrozenMerc ? Pressurize with air and dunk in a swimming pool or something? Is that Mig or Tig or Wig or Sig welding?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Here is a place that was recommended to me on another forum. Have not tried them but it is an option:
    http://www.gas-tank.com/

They will cut it open clean it out and weld it closed again.

Mike

brake1000 likes this.
  14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I pressurized it with air. Just put a big rubber tapered bung in the fill neck and had the air regulator set at about 5 psi. Used soap / water bubbles to check all the seams. I had a few tiny pinholes I couldn't weld up, but the KBS Tank Coater took care of those. I welded it together with the MIG, Nothing fancy.

I made the top and bottom, and then connected them with the sides. Finally, cut the openings for the fill neck, vent, sender, fuel pickup, and drain. The biggest mistake I made, is the fill neck isn't long enough. It is a pain to connect the rubber fill neck from the gas door, and will leak occasionally. When it does, I just have to crawl under the car, reposition it and re-tighten the clamp.

If a person has access to a laser and finger brake, you could do it in fewer pieces and less welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truck64 and guthriesmith like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

When I had a 59 ranger that was missing it's gas tank, I did some measuring and looking around and the cheapest thing I could find was a Chevelle tank....I had to cut off the filler neck to change the length, and add a resistor to the sending wire circuit, and read the gauge backwards, and modify the fuel line a bit. It worked fine in the end, I think the tank was about $100 and the sender around $30. But that was 5 years ago.

20160517_132735.jpg 20160517_130217.jpg

Truck64, guthriesmith and bobss396 like this.
  16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Another option is Rick's Tanks out of El Paso. You send them your tank and they replicate it. I had them build a stainless steel fuel tank for a 1932 Plymouth 2 door Sedan Convertible (1 of 86 built) I was building. They did an excellent job, but it was not cheap (about $800 + shipping - 2018 dollars). The car deserved something nicer than what I could glue together since the tank was visible.

https://rickstanks.com

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. Truck64 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Definitely eyeball the '59 Ford tank. Mine was $160 from Rock Auto in 2014.

Boneyard51 and guthriesmith like this.
  19. Thanks for all the information everyone! That is why I love this place. Lots of folks willing to share their knowledge and experience to help each other.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

Try these guys. www.autocityclassic.com They do not have Edsel tanks but do have Mercury and Ford tanks that you should be able to make work.

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. Spooky

Spooky

Okay- late to respond, but here is my response.
    My first 59 had no tank and I used a 63 Galaxie gas tank. Holy F, that was in 1996 when I did that! Anyhoo, that Galaxie tank was an almost fit. The filler neck was a tad short, and even til the day I sold that car, especially with the modern compression fuel nozzles, filling up was a challenge.

With my present '59, it had the original tank, but as I have stated, I swear, the former owner parked poor Olive frame deep in the Columbia River for a spell, because the rust issues are astounding to me. Lower rockers, lower quarters, even lower fenders are in need of some metal love, and this creeping disease did not escape the gas tank. I had just got the car into the driveway, crawled beneath, and reached up and adjusted the gas tank strap, and it began to leak.

I used a press on epoxy but it was a thumb in a dike and there was no way to stop the flow.

Upon research, the main difference on the trunk floor pan of the Edsel and Ford is that the Edsel has a spare tire that lyes flat, whereas the Galaxie has a spare tire that is vertical. This moves the tank offset in the Ford. So the new repo Ford tank needs to be positioned as such so it works in the Edsel.

Am I clear here? Maybe? Nah?

Well, here are pics of the new Ford tank in my Edsel. Included is a few pics from the 1959 Edsel shop manual.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

guthriesmith, bobss396 and Boneyard51 like this.