Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 coronet engine help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cantstop, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Cantstop

Cantstop

So I've done some surfing and its kind of confusing about what engines were available. With your help I think it got narrowed down to a 325/326 because the distributor is in the rear. Should this be a poly engine and will normal poly part interchange. depending on where I've looked even a 383 was an option. How bad would a swap be/bolt up.

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. any good place to look for dodge info out there on the web(other than here,the best forum around)

2. The poly is easy to spot, let me find you some examples.

Look at these rocker covers (forget the rest of the engine):
    [​IMG]

Now look at these other wedge head rocker covers, note the lack of saw tooth and the perimeter bolts:

[​IMG]
    If you didn't know anything else about the motors that would be enough to tell them apart.

Generally speaking Poly parts will work. Some are going to be specific to displacement but generally speaking the parts will fit.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You might look on the bay for an old Motors Manual. It will have everything you need and maybe a picture of the engine. And lots of other engines. Get a'59 up to 65 and I believe you will find what you need.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

383's have the distributor in the front.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

1958 and 1959 were very weird years for Dodge. They went from the Dodge Hemi and Poly A-engines of 1957 to the Poly A-engines and Corporate wedge B-engines of 1960. The engine sizes and families were all over the place both years, depending on model and option packages. The best way to identify your engine is to find the casting number at the front of the block and start googling.

If the distributor was at the front, it could be a low deck big block (B engine family) of 350, 361, or 383, all of which were available in the 1959 Dodge. With the distributor in the rear, it sounds like you've got a 318 or 326 (A-block Poly engine). The 326 actually measured 325ci but was given the extra cubic inch to differentiate it from the earlier 325ci Dodge Hemi.

The forwardlook.net site is a great resource for Mopars of the '55-61 era.

DOCWHIT likes this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

There is a HUGE difference between the 325 and the 326. The 325 is a Hemi-based Poly, and the 326 is an A series (same as the venerable 318).
    If the engine has a separate valley cover it will be the former.
    If the intake manifold covers the valley it will be an A series engine.

Do Not count on any parts interchange between the two until you are up to speed.:confused:
    As to swaps...it can be done but if you are new to the Mopar camp you really need to keep it simple.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. more than likely you have the 318 style engine, which is one in the pic above. The same engine goes up through 64-65ish, you can find a newer 318 engine a bolt it up.
    Why don't you just post a pic of it?

In most cases the best bet is to just have the engine bored and rebuilt.

Its a plenty strong engine to run in that car.

There no amount of more engine or simpler engine that will make that car go faster or reliable. Maybe some engine mods, but Its a big heavy car for cruising.

try the forwardlook.net

9. Cantstop

Cantstop

I'm familiar with the 318 poly, so vintage aftermarket stuff should work..i.e aluminum intake or headers.

Sent from my SM-N920T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 73RR

73RR

Are you suggesting that a post-62 engine can be a suitable swap?

11. Actually we have has the discussion of this particular motor before and the result was pretty much the same, it is not a B motor and it is not a hemi so that leaves poly. There is actually nothing wrong with a poly, they weigh less then the Hemi and the B motors and the difference in zot probably is made up by the weight difference.;)

12. If you have a 318 style engine and Poly style motor will bolt up.
    I think I summed it up by saying that motor should just be refreshed anyhow.
    If you get another donor engine your going to have to go through it anyhow.

Pork, I just called out as not "Hemi" motor in most cases. Unless he show a picture of it, which makes this discussion useless without a picture of the engine.

Im with you the poly engine is a great engine.

Either way, the same topic comes up a lot. FOR YEARS
    Nobody bothers to search Poly engines.

If you get a late 50's Mopar, you most like don't have the hemi style.

why am I bothering, this same topic will be up again next year.

same old HAMB.

13. You are 100% correct.

14. DOCWHIT

DOCWHIT

HELP!!
    IMG_3741.jpg I have a 326 A-block Poly engine in my 59 Dodge.
    I am in desperate need of someone that rebuilds them OR where the hell to get a rebuild parts kit for it?
    I just had the engine gone thru, new tank, fuel lines, rebuilt power steering pump, radiator, etc..
    Started it & it starts knocking, shut it down and now I need it torn apart!! I'm about replace it with a bowtie 350. A 325/326 is a crappy engine and it has been giving me nothing but grief since 2004. But I love her anyway.