Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 Caddy Hearse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fifty8, Sep 16, 2007.

1. fifty8

fifty8

I found this 59 Eureka for sale and thought I'd ask for some opinions on it. I've never owned a Caddy and have been debating on getting this one. It needs everything. The current owner says the previous owner told him the engine was rebuilt 6K miles ago, but I never trust that. Complete car, rust in the usual places (floor, rockers, rear quarters). He says its one of 210 built. I know 59 is a sought after year just for the fins and it was the year used in Ghostbusters and Harold & Maude. He is asking $2500. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eric

eric

:eek: holy crap!! $2,500 for a '59 hearse! i'd jump all over it regardless. looks like it has some body rot but all the glass is in place and seems to have all the mouldings and stuff. its pretty much your call, just know that caddilac parts aren't cheap. and either way if you think your in too deep you can probably flip it and make your money back.

3. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

its alota work, but id say go for it!

4. Notorious

Notorious

I'm sure you know what you're in for, body-wise. If you're up to it, then hell yes! That would be one cool freakin' car. :cool:

5. belzebub

belzebub

who do you gonna call-G,BUSTERS,,,,,cool ride

6. It ain't my hard earned dough so of course I say "BUY!" :D

You can probably get out of it fairly easily if you decide you are in too deep. Or part it out and recoup some cash.

7. metalman

metalman

Maybe I'm spoiled being in the dry southwest but I wouldn't want to deal with the rust, thats a pile of work in that one. No dought you'll have to fab all the repair panels and they're BIG ones. If your up to it, go for it, but I would want to hear it run first, rebuilding Caddy drivetrain can get pricy in a hurry. Cool looking car though! Love the windows.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'd run away... Unless you have deep deep pockets, the chrome is gonna kill you. If it dosent, the gas mileage will. These cars have a certain shock value, but very little REAL value. I'd go look for the same year convertible.

9. Big Tony

Big Tony

I'm with Chaz, unless you have the dough to do it then back out and dont buy, but if you do want to spend the money then you get one hell of a cool ride. I know they did not make many so thats a big plus. you definately will not get the story like some of us get...you know the one.... I used to have one of those way back then or i was born in the back seat one one ust freaking like that or the wrose one..my grandma had a car like that...

Hell the only comment you might get likit is... My grandma rode in a hearse like that when she died hehehehehehehe

10. Definately has WOW! After that what will you do with it? It would be a labor of love but if you are into it go for it. I would but I like this sort of thing.

Would make a great push car. What is the condition of the interior and fixtures? Nice soothing purple velvet? Lovely. Bonus if it is mostly complete and hasn't been completely rat-f*****.

A thoughtful presentation for The Loved One. Eh, Mr Joyboy?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

There's a lot of rot there. But if that doesn't scare you it would be awesome!

12. Reverend_Grimm13

Reverend_Grimm13
    BANNED
    from Yucaipa

I'll tell you right now,you're getting yourself in to a big project with that one...Not much on that car is very interchangable with other '59 Caddy's..And the body panels have to be fabbed for the most part..Make sure the car has all of the accesories unique to the hearse..Let me know if you need to locate anything..

13. Al Von

Al Von

The rarest of coach builders, Eureka. I would buy it for $2500, but lotsa work!

14. You'll be upside down in that one as soon as you pay the wrecker driver for draggin' it home... -Betruger-

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

If you can do all the work yourself, go for it. But if you plan on farming everything out then I say find one that is done. Labor will kill you if you have it done by a shop.

16. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

cool old car, but it would be alot of work. If you have the cash go for it, if not maybe some one else will pick it up. I like the ass end though pretty sweet.

17. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Maybe you can buy it for $2500 and then turn around and sale it to one of these guys (for half again as much) that say it's worth $2500 bucks!
    I'd go $500 maybe if it runs.

18. Sea Horse

Sea Horse
    from New York

You might want to check out the forums at

http://www.professionalcar.org/

I have read a lot on their forums. Getting the specialty glass like a new windnshield for these hearses can be very tough.

19. Taff

Taff

$2500 equals £1200-£1300 GBP. if you don't want it at that price, I'll have it.
    The others are right, Caddy stuff is expensive, regardless of which side of the pond your on, but for a unique ride?
    Like I said, if you decide you don't want it, PM me.

20. starion88esir

starion88esir

I'd insist on a good price drop before buying that. I believe I've looked at that one before but it was sitting at an automotive shop of sorts about 2 years back. If it is the same one, he picked it up about $1000 cheaper.

21. Gigantor

Gigantor

There is and never will be another Hearse cooler than the 59 Caddy ...Get it ... you will never regret it ... King of Kool right there.

22. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man - after reading some other responses I'm surprised. Since when did "a lot of work" NOT apply to cars? Considering what some people start with, that thing is cherry.

23. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Hey I've gotta 60 Caddy Hearse in better shape I'll take $2000 for! PM me if interested, oh ya I have a 42 Caddy Hearse in better shape for about the same! Chad

24. Squablow

Squablow

Easily the most desirable of vintage hearses. You'll need to be dedicated, but I think the price is very reasonable.

Some of the comments on here are terrible.

Who said $500? That's less than the steel is worth. You gotta be kidding me.

And "I'd look for the same year convertible". I'd be impressed if you could find a '59 Caddy convertible, in that shape or worse, for $20K or less.

25. huffreport

huffreport

When I find a cool car, at the right price, my dad always says "If you don't buy it, I will"... Somehow, that advice always seems right. I've never regretted any car I've bought. (Not counting my 2000 Lincoln, a piece of s**t, if ever there was one...But that's another story.)

Offer him $2,000. He'll take it. Maybe offer him $1,500... I'll bet he'd take it.

It is rusty, but it's not that far gone... Pretty cool stuff.

If you decide to pass on it, lemme know...

Kevin

26. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

What Kevin said, offer 1500 and live the dream.

27. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

$2500 is cheap for that car in that shape! You will get 3 times that back out of it to the right person.

A good friend has 2 sitting in her driveway.

28. not a hearse guy, but this has some cool lines. I can imagine its pretty rare.

29. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Preach it brother. As the owner/builder of a '59 Coupe deVille, I'll verify that you ain't too far from the truth.
    $2500, huh? It'd be worth that price to me just to park it in my driveway and watch all the soccer mom neighbors shudder...
    I built my '59 over a couple year period...and everybody's right about a couple things...chrome ain't cheap for these beasties...and there is a big lack of aftermarket replacement body parts (translated:There aren't any aftermarket body parts). It takes a whole lot more to do one of these cars in my opinion...for the reasons I just stated and also because that's a whole lotta car to be dealing with there...I hand block sanded on mine for 4 months for about 10 hours a day, and there's still a couple spots I'm not completely happy with...black is very unforgiving let me tell ya...
    If you pass on it, let me know...if you nab it, think you might wanna trade for a '50 Merc 2 door project? Let me know....

30. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

if you've got the metal working skills to build and replace all the rusted panels, and are in the position to dediate a *whole lotta* time to dealing with it-- then i'd say go for it.

if you dont have those skills, i'd say you're looking at a very expensive spend just to deal with the rot issue. So, if you dont have the skills above, you'll need quite a bit of cash to buy your way out of the problem.

cool hearse though. i dont think i've seen one before...

-scott noteboom