Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jackson Morgan, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

7194B41C-7163-4BA2-A397-A55F0B80B7DC.jpeg Hello everyone, posting from down under. Quite new here so just wanted to introduce myself and share my Nailhead powered 59 Invicta Coupe project..
    Cheers, Jackson

Attached Files:

Cosmo49, dana barlow, e1956v and 13 others like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

Great car, hard to find even here. What are your plans for it? Mild custom perhaps?

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it! My favorite Buick. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

4. Such an awesome car !!!!

More pics more story more more more !!!!

sooo cool !

5. Very cool! 59 Buicks make great mild customs! :cool:

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I hope he customizes it. 59 Buicks never were and will definitely never be traditional hotrods.

Tow Truck Tom and chevy57dude like this.
  7. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Thanks, all rust will be repaired properly however the original paint or “patina” will be retained where possible. Certainly won’t be an immaculate “as per factory” restoration at this stage, however I do have a few things in mind that I would like to do ie; airbags, interior and possibly some drive line modifications!

EVL401 likes this.
  8. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

The car sat behind a Buick dealership from 1970-2012 in Utah after the original 401 developed a knock and the original owner abandoned it, only 42k miles on the clock which are original from what I can tell. Unfortunately during that time all of the glass was smashed by kids which ruined the interior and caused rust in the lower part of the body but nothing that isn’t fixable! Will post more photos as I progress with it

EVL401, Squablow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Thanks! Can’t wait to put her on the road!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. The roofline is beautiful on those cars.

hrm2k, Just Gary, slowmotion and 2 others like this.
  11. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Agreed, GM really got it right in 59/60

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

They held their own at Nascar
    Personally I prefer the 59 over the 60

Jackson Morgan likes this.
  13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my favorite Buick designs. Subscribed.

Jackson Morgan and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Canted quad headlights done VERY well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  15. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Appreciate it, your 49’ sedanette is gorgeous!

rockable likes this.
  16. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

I
    If Buick retained the 59 headlights and tail fins in 1960 they may have been on to something special!

Tow Truck Tom and EVL401 like this.
  17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  18. ^^^^ With a good running 364 to boot!

Really nice looking 59. Hope you keep the 401 in it. I have one at the machine shop currently.

Finding glass will be fun. Going to keep the Dynaflow?

19. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Luckily I have all brand new green glass sitting here ready to go. Definitely want to keep it Nailhead, the Dynaflow & torque tube will stay for now unless it’s toast, however I do intend on eventually swapping that out for an ST400 or 700R4..

20. With that low of mileage on the motor and because of their high nickel content in the block, it should be rebuild able. The crank may be a different matter if it was parked due to a knock. Dynaflows get a bad rap, but the last couple of years (62-63) were decent units. The torque tube was gone by then though. An ST400 switch pitch with an open rear would be a good choice.

Hamtown Al and Jackson Morgan like this.
  21. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Unfortunately the 401 was removed before I got the car, apparently the block was unsalvageable (I had never seen the block to verify). I do have a running 59 364 here, though whilst that is still a stout motor I don’t think I could bring myself to use it when the car came new with a 401. So when I finish the body I will be hunting for either a 59-63 401 or a 64-66 with an ST400

Hamtown Al likes this.
  22. I'd op for the earlier motor with the large crank pilot hole so either a Dynaflow or a ST400 (with the adapter) can be used. Hopefully when they pulled the motor they left the exhaust manifolds. The set that came on that car are highly prized by the hot rod crowd, and a harder find. Left and center of the attached pic

Attached Files:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  23. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Yes I still have the exhaust manifolds, in fact every part of the 401 came with the car excluding the block so I’m lucky. Thanks for the advice regarding the crank pilot hole, I will keep that in mind

Cosmo49 likes this.
  24. Having all those parts is lucky, and all you will need to find will be a 401 short block. I image any shipping to you is a cost. Our daughter lives in Denmark, so I know how it goes.
    I am putting together a 401 for one of my coupes, and I waited a year for valves. Parts for nails here are from 3 places, and priced as so. The motor is out of a 64 Electra that was running, and I hope rebuild able. Although I also have a torn down 364, I want to use the 401, which came with a ST400. Unfortunately that year is a one off unit.

I think your 59 will be a nice cruiser. If you plan an open rear at some point, one out of a 61 Invicta would be a close match, and keep the 5 on 5 pattern. Good luck with the project.

Jackson Morgan and Hamtown Al like this.
  25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car !!!! Good luck sourcing any parts you might need.

Am I the only one who noticed this guy is only 23 years old ? We should help him out with his parts hunting. After all, he has been bitten by the bug o_O…..there is no turning back now

26. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

love those buicks; nothing else looks like them. my great uncle bought one new--black paint and red interior!

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My friend here has a red '60, that is all original, and in really nice shape. Unfortunately, I don't have a shot of it on this phone. His had the usual trans leak into the torque tube, and he and his brother just got it back together after 2 years.

28. Jackson Morgan

Jackson Morgan
    from Australia

Yes shipping is a killer, but you have to pay to play I guess? I’m unaware of any cars here in Aus that came factory with Nailheads so parts/engines aren’t common here, there is only what has been imported from the US..
    I have heard that the third member/diff centre out of a 61-62 Buick will bolt straight into the 59 housing, so that may be an option also?

29. Yes, the 61-62 third member will bolt into the housing and has the same spline count. That swap requires a different approach to hold the axle in place since the torque tube will be gone. Options are installing parallel or triangulated 4 links with coil-overs, or GM truck arms. I am going the truck arm route on one of my coupes. Although I am using an Edsel (Ford) 9" rear, similar technique in mounting. There are numerous web articles on this, or you can PM me if you have any particular questions.
    I have dealt with all 3 of the major parts guys here, and found all to be good to work with. Buick calmed the cam down a little in the later years because of customer complaints of poor idle, but the more aggressive cams are still available if you want 59 specs.