Register now to get rid of these ads!

59-60 Chevy wagon A/C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What have you used, what works well? I'm getting old, I live in Florida and I can't take the heat anymore. I need defrost for the sudden rainstorms too and heat for when it gets below 65 degrees.
    Thanks.

2. WDobos

WDobos

Vintage air has a unit just for the 59-60's Also there is a company on ebay,I think from Florida who also sells ones just for 59-60's. I've had an Airtique unit in my 60 Sedan Delvery for years with no problems,but all of the companys have made many improvements over the years

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Call Classic Auto Air in Tampa, FL. They make a decent unit.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I had vintage air in the my old '60 chevy wagon... Kept it surprisingly cool.

5. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Vintage Air here......Parts fit well, good instructions, well made, uses the original heater controls so it looks right. Most importantly it keeps our wagon cool on 100 degree days...that's a lot of greenhouse to keep cool.

6. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

X2 on Vintage air. If you're still sweating after that find a rear air unit from a Suburban. There's a lot of glass in that wagon and a lot of sunshine and humidity in Flordia.

7. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

The Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum is the best unit on the market for cooling a station wagon. They don't have a Gen IV sure fit kit for the 59-60 yet(still the old cable operated unit), but the universal style units are not hard to adapt to what ever you want to put them in.

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

Hey Nads, Check out www.elcaminostore.com . Go to 1959 then click onto air conditioner and heating box listed in the index on the left side of the page. They have kits that can be used with either the factory 2 lever or factory 4 lever control panels. They include both heat and defrost in the kit as well. I love my factory air as these little passenger compartments, combined with all the glass get hot in a hurry.
    Good luck, Mike
    The 2 lever kit is part # 07-7000
    The 4 lever kit is part # 07-7002