Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 plymouth interior door handle removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoo, May 6, 2011.

1. magoo

magoo

does anyone know any tricks,or is there a tool for this.There is a square shaft with a narrow slot.There is not a pin,screw or a circlip.I managed to get the handle off after about 20 minutes with 2 bent screwdrivers,but there must be an easier way

2. Yep, there's a tool, mine gets jap ones off and mopar ones. dont have a pic sorry........the mopar clip is a funny one, the part you can see needs to be forced (gently) away from the door card towards the handle.
    Its atached to the handle and relies on a sort of interferrance fit to grab the shaft.

Window winder should be a bolt on.

3. Yeah. Take a piece of tin, a putty knife maybe, bend it 90' at the hilt and grind a slot in it to match the shaft on the door. Maybe bend it a bit at the base of the slot, too. With one off you should be able to see what you have to press on to release the clip, basically you push it towards the handle and it releases it. That's where a bit of a kink may help you put pressure on the clip. What's a thin putty knife cost, a couple bucks?

4. GM-TOM

GM-TOM
    from Germany

Got this info from a friend, maybe it helps:
    You can buy a door handle puller from about any auto parts store and with a slight modification it make's for a handy tool. I will do my best here to share what I did:

Mechanics of the door and window handles:

[​IMG]

Buy this tool, usually only a couple of bucks:

[​IMG]

Make this modification:

[​IMG]

Should like like this when done:

[​IMG]

Top view:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps but once you push that forward and wiggle the handle gently, you will see they come off quite easily