Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 Impala bags/dropped spindles/disc question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Rolf

Rolf

[​IMG]
    <o></o>
    My 58 Impala has a good rake with the front coils cut about two laps.

With all new stock brakes, it still doesn't stop!

So...I am going to do a disc brake conversion. Sooner or later I will probably bag it as well.
    It is my understanding from the air bag guys that the bags alone will drop the car about two inches.
    Would I want 2 inch dropped spindles as well with bags?

I don't need it to be sitting on the ground, I just want to keep the rake and retain good front end geometry when it's done.

The disc brake kit would vary depending on if I keep the stock spindle or not, hence my questions.

Anyone has any experience with this?

2. Rolf, your car sits so nice the way it is, I'd just do the disk swap and leave it at that. IMHO.

3. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

I'll have to agree with that. That car is a thing of beauty.

4. Rolf

Rolf

Howdy Hudson man...

Yes, but it does not have a lot of suspension travel or very good geometry, and dropped spindles would correct that.

Another questions that popped up: Does air bags offer the same suspension travel/comfort as coil springs?

5. Well, If the geometry is the issue now, then spindles would correct that. It would get the car lower and retain the correct geometry. you could even put stock coils back in for the full suspension travel.

Bags won't do anything to help your geometry, it will make it worse really.

6. Rolf

Rolf

Well, I want it all...the greedy bastard that I am :D

Safer brakes, good rake and ride comfort. The reason I considered bags would be when I replace the 283 with a 348, I would have to redo the springs again, unless I have bags.

I lay awake at night thinking about this stuff...

7. NJVadala

NJVadala

I'd just go for the disc brake conversion and redo the springs to retain the ride height and whatnot when the time comes. Bagging it would be nice, but I'm not sure how much it would change it.

8. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

GOD DAMN I JUST LOVE THIS CAR!!!

My 58 Sedan Delivery has the conversion kit with 14" Atsro and i have major clearence problems to the point its a headache to drive..I just got the damn thing on the road too!!!...So I plan on juicing the car hopefully next year but see that Air Ride offers a pretty kool bag kit for 58's wich includes the front clip & rear set-up that seems pretty resonable priced considering what you get...I'm just not sold on the whole 'air bag' thing yet and prefer 'juice'....

9. Rolf

Rolf

It that because of the offset of the wheels, or the disc kit moved them out, or both? Did you lower yours?

10. starlite staff

starlite staff

Rolf

I would have to suggest that you run Superior spindles ( great product). As for bags if you set them up right it will ride great!! I have a 58 chevy Wagon and have had the same set up for 5 yrs. with no problem, you will have to put in new ball joints every couple of years if you like to play with the bags. The nice thing about the front suspensions on these cars is that, it will allow the use of a big firestone bag, which is great because it takes less pressure to air up the front end, about 80-85 lbs of pressure depending on desired ride height.

Oh yeah this is my daily driver rain or shine about 60,000 miles with this setup. No problems!

Done right you should be very satisfied with the overall package.

Erik

Attached Files:

11. gonmad

gonmad

On my 58, I have the Mcguagys (SPP???) spindle/disc kit and the turning radius SUCKS!! Supposidly, the kit is for 58-64 and the 58's have a .5" or 1" narrower track on the front. So with the universal spindle, it puts the wheel out too much. It takes a 2-3 point turn to get into a parking stall sometimes. But, looks kool though! Supposidly (again), you can make spacers to use G body brakes and bearings on your factory spindle. Might check into that though.
    Here is where mine sits with spindles and cut coils.

Attached Files:

12. starlite staff

starlite staff

Oh one thing I did forget to mention you do have to get the right offset rim, which I think is 4" offset on a 15X6 rim, which completely solved the turning radius issue, no parking issues here. Also get alot of suspension travel.

Erik

13. Tony

Tony

Rolf, your car sit's spot on! If i owned it, here's what i'd do...
    I'd get some new stock spring's, dropped spindles , along with the disc conversion. Put it together and IF it's still not low enough, nip a little off the spring's to adjust it. Chances are that IF you have to cut the spring's, you won't be cutting enough off to lose too much suspension travel..but with the 283, you may not have to cut anyway. 2 coil's on most car's i've done has been about 2 to 2.5", about what the spindle's are.
    And, when it come's time to drop the 348 in, if it dosn't sit where you wan't, take a little bit off the spring's then until you get it where ya want. The added weight of the 348 on the 283 spring's may bring it down to where you want anyway...
    Air system's are cool, but if your not looking to drop it on the ground, then my own personal thought is it would be a waste of money.
    You would have everything you want with spindles..Safer brake's, a nice rake, a smooth ride with full travel on the new spring's and once it's all done, it's done...and you save yourself cash because you stayed with the coil suspension instead of air.

Only my thought's of course..pretty much what some of the other fella's said :)

Very nice, clean car too.

Tony

14. Rolf

Rolf

Great info guys. Erik, when you say 4 inch offset, are you talking about a negative (inward?) offset, assuming a 3 inch (on a 6 inch rim) would be neutral?

...and yes, that is another piece to the puzzle, I need to loose those cheap ass import 4 bar caps for a set of 15X6 OEM chrome wheels.

15. Rolf

Rolf

Thanks druss...my life has been a bit insane since this spring, long story...

16. Rolf

Rolf

That's just it, it's not a ground dragging custom, I just wanted Steve Bolander's car (or Toad's) , but slightly lower.

Good reasoning, Tony.

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Lee Pratts 58 is about as perfect as it gets...If you have pics of that or the issue of Rodders Journal it was in...The stance on that car is 'right on'...Plus i love the spokes too!!...lolol

18. starlite staff

starlite staff

Yes, that would set the rim inward. With the Superior spindles you use, I believe 11" rotors with the big gm calipers. Night and day compared to drum brakes. Dual diaphram booster would also be recommended. Some companies use 9" inch rotors with small calipers, still disk brakes but bigger is better when it comes to brakes.

19. Rolf,

what Tony said. that's what I'm talking about.

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"With all new stock brakes, it still doesn't stop."

Are you serious? The brake system on these cars was perfectly adequate to stop the car so do you mean "doesn't stop" as well as I expect it to stop?

A correctly bled and adjusted four wheel drum brake set up will stop any car quite well if the old brake drums are not turned out beyond proper limits, or if new drums are used. The composition of the brake linings is also a consideration so buy the best set available.

I don't have a thing against disc brakes (the 57 BelAir has non-power discs up front) but have no probelm with drums either.

21. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Rolf, I am not sure if you remember my Surf Wagon '58 - but it had drums all around, and just bagged. I drove it to LA, and to Puyallup. all up and down the coast, and it was just fine. Astros and 215's/235's, no spindles. Car rode wonderfully, didn't wear tires, was a breeze to drive. Bags are cool, but probably wouldn't do 'em again. I would pretty much set it an drive, never played with 'em much.Just make sure ya put on good shocks. Two others after that, they all drove nice, stopped fine. If I had the wagon to do over again, I would just do coils.
    I had built a white '58 Delray before the wagon- about '97, just cut the coils. Sat nice and low, again- nice ride. Those X frames ride good. Never had discs, but I gotta say a dual res. master and discs, are a great safety plus.
    Lookin' good as usual my friend!! Tim :)

22. Tony

Tony

Steve's car in AG was, is and has been one of my favorite 58's. Maybe because it had an impact on me as a young kid who know's..
    And your car does have the same attitude in my opinion.
    Keep it simple and i'd think you will be very happy with the result's, both performance, stance and cash wise..
    And again, that really is a smooth 58!! I'd love to own it :D

23. Rolf

Rolf

Of course I am serious...At freeway speeds, the stock drums are not enough for such a heavy car. There is a reason the auto manufacturers went to discs, I'm thinking.

24. Rolf

Rolf

Of course, AG screwed most of us up :D

First thing I did after getting the car was to add the Cad tail lights.
    I wish it was white, though.

The car is not as nice as it looks on pictures, it's actually original paint, with a lot of flaws, but it gives it character...

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the feed back, I think we have a plan:

Stock springs, dropped spindles with discs and 15X6 OEM chrome wheels.

That bring up another question: Black walls, pinners or wide whites??? Spiders or chrome lug nuts??

25. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Skinny with chrome bullet lugs.

26. Are you kidding me? That car is NICE! Jeez Rolf, I know you're anal about your cars and all, but come on! ha ha.

Chrome wheels, pinners, chrome lugs. Done. OOOH! I can't wait to see it!

27. Rolf

Rolf

You make it sound so sexy !

"Chrome wheels, pinners, chrome lugs"

That could be the title of a book ! :D

28. Now, if I had mentioned "Shannon cones".....

29. Tony

Tony

Again i'll toss in my thoughts :D:D
    If the plan is to drop in a 348, i'd stick with the AG style....yet again.
    Chrome steelies, plain silver lug nut's (or chrome) wrapped in black wall's..
    The pin white's would look real classy and i do like them, but i feel they would take away from the 'all business' look the car will have with the healthy rake and chrome wheel's. I would steer clear of wide whites on this car..
    It would make it look too stock in my opinion.

As for you statement about wishing it was white..well, my color of choice for everything is black, period..
    BUT, i have alway's said if i was ever fortunate enough to score a 58 Impala, it would end up white.......
    Honestly though, the fact that your car wear's it's original paint, was black when it was born, and look's damn good just as it is...it should stay black.
    Now, look at it this way.. Your's being black is like the evil twin to the AG car..Nothing wrong with that...
    :)

30. Rolf

Rolf

Yeah, like Falfa got hold of the '58 first. I am liking your thinking on the blackwall "all business" look, just like the AG car.

[​IMG]

It's a bit taller than mine, but I like that too...

Yes, it will stay black, it has some old lube stickers and stuff, so I could not justify "restoring" it.

Hello... buenos noches? Need a lift? Nice night for a walk? Do you know John Milner? Curt Henderson? Sure you wouldn't like a ride somewhere? Did anyone ever tell you that you look just like Connie Stevens?

...and so it goes...