Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 Ford Steering box question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Feb 12, 2010.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

O.K., I searched...

So now that that is out of the way, Anybody here know if there is ANY difference I should be aware of between the '57, or '58 Fairlane/Custom manual box, and the Ranchero box?
    I need one for my Ranch, it is at the end of the road, as far as adjustment, and I am going to look at the unit's #'s, on Monday, but, if anyone knows off hand if they are all the same box, in regards to pitman arm, mounting provisions, ratio, etc...I would appreciate the info!
    Thanks...

Mark.

2. Same box. Pitman arms are specific to manual and power assist.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Manual and power box of the same year are the same but...

I bought a 57 unit to replace my missing 58 Ranchero mast and shifter inside but I ended up having to buy a 58 unit to fix it. I wanted it to look right. IIRC the 58 shaft was longer than the 57. I've been told that the 58 box is an improvement over the 57 box. It probably works if you replace everything from the wheel to the box as a unit but trying to swap parts from one year to the other doesn't work easily. If you plan to put a 57 box and inner shaft into your 58 mast and shifter assembly it won't work....easily.

[​IMG]

4. Like Tommy said, the 58 box is better than the 57. They have better internals. It could be swapped, but stick with finding another 58 box or rebuilding yours.