Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 ford frenched headlights????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lukey, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lukey

lukey

I have molded the front of my 58 (fenders and nose are one piece) im wanting to french the headlights, so what are my options since the bezels are pot metal? Is brazing my only option? I already figured out the mounting of the bucket behind the fender, just racking my brain on the bezels. Thanks!

-LUKEY-

2. Jarhead1986

Jarhead1986
    BANNED

Im planning on molding mine like that.... no frenching though. I need a hood. You got an extra?!

3. lukey

lukey

Hmmmmmmm. Maybe just fill with bondo ans smooth:)

-LUKEY-

4. 'Mo

'Mo

I asked about frenching pot metal, and was told to have it copper plated, then solder.
    A chrome plater can flash plate with copper for you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

5. Jarhead1986

Jarhead1986
    BANNED

LUKEY...You said 2000 f150 on your trans mount right? I got mine in and running trans mount is next project.

6. lukey

lukey

Yup, had to cut 1/2" or so from the bottom of the studs, and it dropped right in.

-LUKEY-

7. Those Pot metal doors are not going to weld to the steel fenders with anything. If you fill with Bondo they will crack out, it's just a matter of time. Go to a body paint supply and ask for epoxy panel adhesieve and glue them on. That's what this stuff is made for. I did my 57 ford taillight extension and they are doing just fine. It's sand's just fine, paints just fine and don't shrink. You'll like it.
    The Wizzard

8. iamflashman

iamflashman

The part # for that is 3m 8115 (panel bonding adhesive). You can get it an O'Reillys or any paint store.

I use it as a seam sealer also, especially for floor pans. You weld them in and then smear panel bond along all the seams and it will never rust out.

Some people (I just can't bring myself to do it), will use it instead of welding new body panels on old stuff. A lot of body shops use it because you don't have drill holes, weld, and risk warping panels.

9. lukey

lukey

Ive used it smoothing tailgates on trucks for people, but after a couple years a few of them cracked due to metals expanding at differant rates (im guessing) with the temp changes we get here.
    Was thinking maybe use 59 impala buckets and bezels and just making new surrounds with round rod and sheet metal. I may just try the adhesive first and see what happens. Thanks

-LUKEY-