Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Ford Fairlane power steering conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ravencapt, Jun 26, 2018.

1. ravencapt

ravencapt

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this site and couldn't find what I was looking for so thought I would post this. I have a 58 ford retractable w/o power steering and I want to convert using the Borgeson box. What I am wondering is has anyone done that in a 58 ford that could give me some pointers. I thought I would ask before I start and go through the learning curve if I can learn from experience. Thanks in advance.

2. RmK57

RmK57

3. ravencapt

ravencapt

4. Stooge

Stooge

We're going to be doing a power steering conversion on a buddy's '58 edsel that is the same set up as the '58 fairlane and this is the front runner for it. A little expensive, but according to borgeson, you can reuse the manual steering components but need to modify the end of the column and possibly add a coupling

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-800115

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buddy of mine had it done to his 57 Bird... Steering column was most of the work. loves it but it was a pain to do....

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The column is going to be where all of your work is. The 57-59 chassis uses the steering box with the integrated steering shaft. The Borgeson box uses a divorced steering column and a U joint or rag joint to connect. Yes, you will either need to heavily modify the factory column with a lower bearing, or replace the column in its entirely. One of the biggest issues you will have is actually with your floor pan. There is a large 2 piece cover that covers the hole where the steering box was passed through for assembly, since the column and box are installed as a preassembled unit. Now without the column being rigidly mounted to the box, you'll need to mount the lower column to the firewall. It's a real pain in the ass.